The down side of residential letting

Hi ya, what a day I've had!

Accepted a good offer on the house today so I'm happy to have it sold. I look forward to buying a reno next so I'm off shopping again.

Re the liability stuff, it is covered in my normal insurance for the place. I thought everyone had that in their building/ home policy but perhaps not. Anyway, my policy does cover for public liability and it is a policy for a rental, but the policy was not marketed as "landlords insurance" like the CGU insurance. So it doesn't cover lost rent.

Anyway it looks like some of the glass breakage is covered , so thats a plus.

Just need to sort the application to the Magistrates Court now to get the bond paid to me and apply for the deliberate damage and the lost rent. Shame it has to be two separate applications though.

There is a moral here guys. Don't rent a house out without LL insurance. :p

Re the liability stuff, it is covered in my normal insurance for the place. I thought everyone had that in their building/ home policy but perhaps not. Anyway, my policy does cover for public liability and it is a policy for a rental, but the policy was not marketed as "landlords insurance" like the CGU insurance. So it doesn't cover lost rent.

In the case of units that are strata title, the building is covered by the strata building insurance, which also covers liability in public areas, but not inside the unit itself.

Seems to be a lot of low life's renting these days, kicking walls in, not paying rent and going to Bali, leaving junk everywhere and leaving the place in disgusting condition.

Obviously a lack of something in the country, maybe education of being a nice person!

Back