the effect of a bypass?

Yep. Buladhelah and Karuah will or have gone the same way.

Nowra is like Taree - a regional service centre and has enough momentum to survive the bypass.

Actually it may create an unexpected plus for Nowra. Yes it's an employment hub so will survive and thrive in the future but its actually already been bypassed once before. The original highway went straight through the guts of the town. Then the east deviation was built about 500 meters to the east.
Then in true crap council planning style they proceeded to build the major shopping centre on the other side of the highway with complicated instructions on how to reach it or the town centre. Plus you can throw in a crap load of roundabouts and lights . A bypass will actually help them join the town back up again. Interesting.

be good if they ever built the bypass as per the draft lep...stupid thing stuffed us as we have 24 acres in nth nowra with the proposed bypass right thru the middle

so would it be safe to say, unless its bleating obvious, the more subtle effects, unless you are a true planning expert in that field who deals with these situations all the time, its pretty much guessing?

obviously if a town relies on tourism from the main road, and a bypass completly by passes it, thats bad, but for nowra or muswellbrook, etc.

only time will tell, and nobody really knows?

Being a local (well almost a local, 12 years) I agree with Topcropper. Muswellbrook won't suffer much from the bypass, which has has good news just this week regarding funding. The town "stands alone", with not much reliance from passing trade at all, maybe Maccas and a few servos will suffer a bit.

And in an effort to ram pup business, this appeared in today's paper.
Nothing to do with ramping up business Geoff, ..... It's part of the ongoing celebrations of Goulburn becoming a city 150 years ago. Heaps of stuff going on throughout the year.

I remember when the Hume Hwy first bypassed Goulburn there was real concern that it would negatively affect the town, and I think it did for a while, but the place is doing okay. A lot of Canberrans are buying here as well as investors.

Mystery

It's really a case by base basis. Some towns have ended up quite well off after being bypassed, while others have basically died. I think Musswellbrook will be ok in this instance.

The Hunter Expressway was built for the sole purpose to service the mining industry. It had nothing to reducing road congestion. If the State Government were fair dinkum about reducing road congestion they would have upgraded Weakley's Drive connecting the F3 to the New England Highway and explored options of connecting the F3 with the Pac Hwy north of Heatherbrae to service commuters between Sydney and Brisbane.

We bought a place at the start of the Hunter Expressway in a suburb called Cameron Park. We believe that the increased connectivity to the upper Hunter via the Hunter Expressway will make our suburb appealing to employees of the mining industry and other industries proposed throughout Cessnock, Maitland, Singleton and Muswellbrook.

The impact of the Hunter Expressway on small regional towns like Maitland, Cessnock, Kurri Kurri etc will be neutral at worst. I think it will make these areas more appealing for commercial operations with good connectivity to Sydney via the F3.

Back