The Great Reverse Government

The Libs have panicked after the polls came out and Tony is too scared to take a chance after the leadership issues. It's pathetic, governments nowadays are too worried about the 24 news day and weekly polls to do anything substantial. Stick to your guns and do what you said you'd do and let us decide on election day.

My feelings on this are that the Liberal government doesn't really have a vision and they are trying to see what the public will accept and what they wont.

There is no combined vision to say this is the Australia were are creating. How can you buy into something if that something isnt sold to the people of Australia.

The libs are very stuck on their principals and thus are very rigid and unwavering in how they want to achieve the results. Rather than being consultative and building a pathway forward.

Sean, the libs are dodos with Abbott at the helm. The only thing they've done is stop the boats.

They are basically trying to repair the deficit by making the lower end of town pay for it. They seem to be increasing unemployment in the hope that one day workers will be re-employed on lower wages and conditions.

The Libs have a huge challenge ahead of them.

Government costs are rising. There are two essential ways to fix this - cut services or raise taxes. Neither are popular. We all want more and want this while paying less tax.

You can never keep everyone happy, Liberals are trying to do and are obviously failing.

Sean, the libs are dodos with Abbott at the helm. The only thing they've done is stop the boats.

even that I think was mostly achieved by last minute labor changes. the only thing libs have done, was to put secrecy around the arriving boats, so all of a sudden we just stopped hearing about them.

the only thing that Tony can fully take credit for is reversing (that word again) the carbon tax. not that it helped anything, I don't think anyone noticed it on their bills.

My feelings on this are that the Liberal government doesn't really have a vision and they are trying to see what the public will accept and what they wont.

It's a problem on both sides and you could start to see it in Howards last term. Everyone is now obsessed with the internet/24 hour news cycle and weekly polls. Pollies are too scared to take a punt on anything because everyone has a podium to scream from online.

libs are dodos with Abbott at the helm. The only thing they've done is stop the boats.

They are basically trying to repair the deficit by making the lower end of town pay for it. They seem to be increasing unemployment in the hope that one day workers will be re-employed on lower wages and conditions.

The Libs have a huge challenge ahead of them.

The Libs are dodos with anyone at the helm--they are regressive. Malcolm Turnbull now has the numbers and is just waiting for the next spill. Abbott seems to be a dead man walking. Turnbull, although he loves playing the 'ordinary man' is just another rich man feathering the nests of the super-rich.

imho we are headed down the same road as the US--minimum wages so low people cannot live on them. At the moment people working in fast food in the States get about $7 per hour. How can you live on that? We are moving towards managed health care, just like the US, where hundreds die every day because they cannot afford life-saving medication or procedures. The US is losing their middle-classes. I hope we don't start losing ours too.

imho we are headed down the same road as the US--minimum wages so low people cannot live on them. At the moment people working in fast food in the States get about $7 per hour. How can you live on that? We are moving towards managed health care, just like the US, where hundreds die every day because they cannot afford life-saving medication or procedures. The US is losing their middle-classes. I hope we don't start losing ours too.

Aren't we already at the point where wages for our well educated workforce are so much higher than our trading partners that we need rethink wages policy or allow the AUD to tank to 0.50 USD to give our manufacturing and primary industries a chance? How can we expect annual salary increases without marked improvement in efficiency at a lower cost of production?

Government costs are rising. There are two essential ways to fix this - cut services or raise taxes. Neither are popular. We all want more and want this while paying less tax.

You can never keep everyone happy, Liberals are trying to do and are obviously failing.

Three ways: you forgot 'grow the economy' - tax income rises and benefit payments fall. I went on a Toyota factory tour last week: building 400 Camrys a day, most exported to the middle east. Contrast - according to 774 this morning - Ford selling 500 Falcons a month. The latter is obviously a lost cause. I can't help thinking that at today's exchange rate the former might not be but even given today's announcement it's probably too late.

Aren't we already at the point where wages for our well educated workforce are so much higher than our trading partners that we need rethink wages policy ...

How about re-thinking wages policy for our CEOs & other top 5 per cent of wage earners? Why do we have to re-think wages policy only for the middle- and lower end of the spectrum?

I'm not sure which trading partners you're talking about. I don't think you can compare our wages policies to those in developing economy countries.

I just think that countries do better when they take everyone along with them--not leave the uber-wealthy to continue to make obscene amounts of money and forget the poor, homeless, disenfranchised and marginalised. just my opinion.

There has been some thinking about this and now the label for Abbott and other "conservative" leaders of his type are: Cheap-labor conservatives.

While this is written from an American perspective, the following seems to describe what is happening globally to the middle class. I don't agree with all of it, but it does make sense.

http://sideshow.me.uk/annex/defeattherightin3minutes.htm

When you cut right through it, right-wing ideology is just "dime-store economics" - intended to dress their ideology up and make it look respectable. You don't really need to know much about economics to understand it. They certainly don't. It all gets down to two simple words.

"Cheap labor". That's their whole philosophy in a nutshell - which gives you a short and pithy "catch phrase" that describes them perfectly. You've heard of "big-government liberals". Well they're "cheap-labor conservatives".

"Cheap-labor conservative" is a moniker they will never shake, and never live down. Because it's exactly what they are. You see, cheap-labor conservatives are defenders of corporate America - whose fortunes depend on labor. The larger the labor supply, the cheaper it is. The more desperately you need a job, the cheaper you'll work, and the more power those "corporate lords" have over you. If you are a wealthy elite - or a "wannabe" like most dittoheads - your wealth, power and privilege is enhanced by a labor pool, forced to work cheap.

Don't believe me. Well, let's apply this principle, and see how many right-wing positions become instantly understandable.

• Cheap-labor conservatives don't like social spending or our "safety net". Why. Because when you're unemployed and desperate, corporations can pay you whatever they feel like - which is inevitably next to nothing. You see, they want you "over a barrel" and in a position to "work cheap or starve".

• Cheap-labor conservatives don't like the minimum wage, or other improvements in wages and working conditions. Why. These reforms undo all of their efforts to keep you "over a barrel".

• Cheap-labor conservatives like "free trade", NAFTA, GATT, etc. Why. Because there is a huge supply of desperately poor people in the third world, who are "over a barrel", and will work cheap.

• Cheap-labor conservatives oppose a woman's right to choose. Why. Unwanted children are an economic burden that put poor women "over a barrel", forcing them to work cheap.

• Cheap-labor conservatives don't like unions. Why. Because when labor "sticks together", wages go up. That's why workers unionize. Seems workers don't like being "over a barrel".

• Cheap-labor conservatives constantly bray about "morality", "virtue", "respect for authority", "hard work" and other "values". Why. So they can blame your being "over a barrel" on your own "immorality", lack of "values" and "poor choices".

• Cheap-labor conservatives encourage racism, misogyny, homophobia and other forms of bigotry. Why? Bigotry among wage earners distracts them, and keeps them from recognizing their common interests as wage earners.

• Many cheap-labor conservatives are hostile to public education. They think it should be privatized. But why are we surprised. Cheap-labor conservatives opposed universal public education in its early days. School vouchers are just a backdoor method to "resegregate" the public schools.

• Cheap-labor conservatives hate the progressive income tax like the devil hates holy water.

• Cheap-labor conservative - you know, the ones who believe in "freedom" - say our crime problem is because - get this - we're too "permissive". How exactly do you set up a "free" society that isn't "permissive"?

• Cheap-labor conservatives support "domestic surveillance" against "subversives" - where "subversive" means "everybody but them".

PG, I didn't point out anyone specifically to get a cut - how many 'C Level' executives & board members do not have a higher education?

How many entry level roles now require a degree whereas 15-20 years ago could be filled by a year 10 school leaver? Who is to blame for that? Entry level roles are fast disappearing for the untrained/unskilled.

PG, I didn't point out anyone specifically to get a cut - how many 'C Level' executives & board members do not have a higher education?

How many entry level roles now require a degree whereas 15-20 years ago could be filled by a year 10 school leaver? Who is to blame for that? Entry level roles are fast disappearing for the untrained/unskilled.

I agree with you. If you wanted to be a journo 30 years ago you started as the mail boy at a newspaper and worked your way up. These days they're calling law degrees 'the new arts degree' and the competition for accountants, lawyers etc leaving uni is fierce.

I don't know that anyone is to blame.

There has been some thinking about this and now the label for Abbott and other "conservative" leaders of his type are: Cheap-labor conservatives.

While this is written from an American perspective, the following seems to describe what is happening globally to the middle class. I don't agree with all of it, but it does make sense.

http://sideshow.me.uk/annex/defeattherightin3minutes.htm

]

I tried to give you kudos, but it told me I had to spread it around.

Cheap labour conservative.... The guy who wrote that is carrying on like it is some kind of revelation. Anyone with half a brain knows that.

Nothing wrong with it either. We cant all be equel.

I don't think I've ever read such a load of simplistic left wing tosh before - and I've read quite a bit!

It's pretty offensive to equate being against abortion with a desire for cheap labour. And offensive to not recognise the huge opportunities that freer trade gives to the people of poorer countries. People wouldn't work in sweat shops unless it was better than their other options in life.

The number of people who believe in that whole laundry list would be pretty small - it's just an exercise in labelling and stereotypes, because that's clearly what we need!

Back