The Interview #2

Thanks Y-Man, another great read:)

And kudos to your wife for seeing that hard earned deposit disappear and still persevere with property investing......many would have walked away.

Y-man. Firstly thanks for sharing such wonderful information.

Question for you. You (honestly) state that at present, residential real estate (in melbourne) wouldnt be your #1 place to invest *new* money (I agree personally).

However could you please be so kind as to rate the following four in order of (your) preference. Feel free to add in any other classes on your radar I have left off.

Aussie shares, International Shares, Aussie listed LPTs, Melbourne Resi-real estate.

ie.

1. ??
2. ??
3. ??
4. ??

Thanks mate!

Good choice of interviewee.

If anyone can, Y-man can!

I gotta get to more Span events to catch up with you Y-man :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Thankyou for your kind feedback people :)

Trogdor said:
Question for you. You (honestly) state that at present, residential real estate (in melbourne) wouldnt be your #1 place to invest *new* money (I agree personally).

However could you please be so kind as to rate the following four in order of (your) preference. Feel free to add in any other classes on your radar I have left off.

Aussie shares, International Shares, Aussie listed LPTs, Melbourne Resi-real estate.

Thanks mate!

Geez.... I better be careful about what I write :D

From my limited personal little perspective at this moment in time:

1. Aust Shares (as Managed funds for beginners)
2. International Shares (as Managed funds)
3. Commercial Prop Trusts (mainly as funds of listeds and unlisteds)
4. Precious Metals
5. Resi RE.

The first three could be almost interchangeable in order, depending on your situation (cashflow requirements, tax position, etc)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

The Y-man

can i nominate for the next interview two separate interviews/interviewees - skater and bargin hunter. we managed to glean a little of their journey so far at the sig meeting but there is so much more i'd want to learn - and, i think, it'd be really interesting to hear both sides of a close husband/wife team - their differing views on what were succesful buys, mistakes, what they'd do again, how they percieve the journey etc.

p.s. skater, i apologise for opening my mouth before engaging my brain and saying "i expected you to be taller". for such an action packed dynamo i had a mental image for someone pushing the high 5"s to fit it all in ... was an exciting pleasure to met you all and hope my enthusiasm for property didn't take over to much!! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion lizzie, the next interviewee is already selected and we hope to have it done in the next few weeks.

But skater and BH are on the list.........so hopefully they agree a little further down the track.

Ruby :)

property and other types of investments

i've been thinking about and comparing property with other forms of investments: the main advantage (i think) about property is leverage. But these days, CG in sydney is flat or low, with shares and bank interest much higher...

lowb said:
the main advantage (i think) about property is leverage. ...

Without going into the whole shares vs property debate (for which mega threads exist elsewhere :D ) I suspect it is more the volatility than the leverage. It may surprise many people that our shares and some managed funds are geared higher than our properties.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thx for the self disclosure Y-Man. Though I specifically think you need congratulations for your taste in women. Mrs Y-Man, or Y-Woman, seems to have been a very positive force in your life.

Back