The National Public Toilet Website

The mind boggles.. another example of our tax dollars at work.

http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/default.aspx

The FAQ is a wonder to behold - you have to ask yourself just how often people are planning to use a toilet when they're away on holidays.

5. How can I use the Toilet Map with my Global Positioning System (GPS) device?
Searching for toilets near a position

On the find toilets near a latitude/longitude page, you can enter a waypoint or position from your GPS device to find nearby toilets. Make sure your GPS device is set to display decimal degrees and is set to use the WGS 84 (World) or GDA 94 (Australia) datum. You can then enter the position directly (eg latitude -42.882 and longitude 147.323 would find toilets near the centre of Hobart).
Adding a toilet to your GPS device

On the toilet details page, the approximate latitude and longitude of the toilet is displayed underneath the address. Make sure your GPS device is set to display decimal degrees and is set to use the WGS 84 (World) or GDA 94 (Australia) datum. You can then enter these decimal numbers into your GPS and save them as a waypoint (some GPS devices may allow you to choose a toilet icon).
Downloading toilet information to your GPS device

To download the toilet locations into your GPS device you need to register for "My Toilet Map".

Once you have registered, you can search for your favourite toilets (eg Soundy Park), locations (eg North Hobart) or local government areas (eg Hobart City Council) and click on the "Add to My Toilets" link on the left hand side of the page. You can add as many toilets, locations and LGAs as you like.

Once you have selected your favourite areas, simply click on the "Download your favourite toilets and areas in GPX format" link in your "My Toilet Map" section. The file will be in ".gpx" format and should easily integrate with your GPS device software.
Search for your favourite toilet? Am I the only one thinking this is really creepy?

The Department of Health and Ageing is currently trying to cut our funding at work - good to know they have so many more worthwhile programs to divert the funds to :rolleyes:

Jamie.

Jamie said:
The mind boggles.. another example of out tax dollars at work.

The Department of Health and Ageing is currently trying to cut our funding at work - good to know they have so many more worthwhile programs to divert the funds to :rolleyes:

Jamie.

Sorry Jamie , would disagree . The main reason for this web site is to provide the info for people with incontinence. There are many people out there who plan their trips around where the public toilets are. If they don't know where the toilets are in an area , they don't go there.

See Change

geoffw said:
Looking at previous posts on the topic.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13217 From December 2003

Or from earlier this year

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25020

My apologies Geoff - I searched for the title on the website but it was paraphrased in earlier threads on the forum.

And I guess it could be worse seech - it is Tony Abbott's portfolio, so its money better spent than going to some fundamentalist right-wing evangelical group like Family First :rolleyes:

Jamie.

No worries Jamie.

I had contributed, so I knew what to search for,

Newbies will sometimes have the same problems in finding what the are looking for.

Works fine if you want to go in business hours. Don't work for those smartie councils who lock the toilets so you cannot get in. Sometimes you just can't find anywhere to do your business. :)

Jamie,

You've never been pregnant have you? ;)

Seriously, though, when you're very pregnant (I seem to remember from long long ago) knowing where the public loos are is extremely important.

I just LOVE the line in your link:

"Adding a toilet to your GPS device"

That would be the coolest of all.

Some sort of origami required there.

asy :D :D :D

Does anyone happen to know if there is an equivalent for public showers? I assume not but I'd love to go for a run around the tan (Melbourne) for instance and have access to a (free or cheap) shower nearby.

Cheers
Steve

Deve said:
Does anyone happen to know if there is an equivalent for public showers? I assume not but I'd love to go for a run around the tan (Melbourne) for instance and have access to a (free or cheap) shower nearby.

Cheers
Steve

imageShow.php

Would this then negate the need to find a toilet?

You could use the newly installed toilet in your GPS device.....

Privacy might become an issue :D

aef said:

Would this then negate the need to find a toilet?

You could use the newly installed toilet in your GPS device.....

Privacy might become an issue :D

You'd have to allocate user rights and log on ....

See Change

Back