The new block - terrible layout

Anyone watching the new block episode?

The layout is terrible. How much value would you lose with that layout, by creating a single 3 bed level apartment with tiny living space on each level, rather than multiple apartments for each 220 sqm level.

Anyone watching the new block episode?

The layout is terrible. How much value would you lose with that layout, by creating a single 3 bed level apartment with tiny living space on each level, rather than multiple apartments for each 220 sqm level.

Agreed. But I love the concept. Chic is the order of the day when renovating these units.

I love the show but I hate how contrived its become.

i.e. They all have to go to the same tile shop, the same bathroom shop and the same carpet shop. When they get there the "salesman" says stupid things like you're the third one in and those two designs are gone you've now only got these two to choose from. What? Its a shop, choose whatever you like! But, No, they've now limited the choices and start crossing them off as contestants choose them. Same thing happened with the ugly square basin from the bathroom shop. One contestant chooses it so the others are locked out. The TV programmers then play the line of how the first contestant there vascilated too long and missed out.

They should be able to source what they want from where they want and not be "forced" into Mitre 10, or whatever tile shop it was or whatever carpet shop it was etc. They might as well design the rooms for them given how little choice they're allowed.

And I hated the way it was becoming more of a "home decorator" show instead of a reno show anyway. Points for what stupid furniture you put in a room? People don't buy houses for their furniture or paint colour, they buy ir for its size, location, layout etc. They should present bare rooms and award winners based on their level of finish. Get in close with the cameras and check their cutting in and how well they've done their skirts, archs, reveals, jams, floorboards etc. Who cares which desginer label cushion they waste their reno dollars on.

All gone to crap if you ask me. I'll still watch it for the odd design idea, but its lost its original appeal. And I hate the "contestant drama". I couldn't give a hoot who they are or their back stories. I just want to see the rooms they do and figure out whether I can adopt some of that in my new build.

Cheers,
Michael

What time, day and channel can I see this show? I've never seen it before, don't watch much TV.

Cheers
Ems

All gone to crap if you ask me. I'll still watch it for the odd design idea, but its lost its original appeal. And I hate the "contestant drama". I couldn't give a hoot who they are or their back stories. I just want to see the rooms they do and figure out whether I can adopt some of that in my new build.

Everyone has a sob story these days. It must be a pre-requisite of going on the show.

In a 60 minute timeslot, you get 20 mins of ads, 35 mins of drama and crisis and tears, and 5 mins of actual demonstration of renovation techniques

No thanks.

I've got it taped - so I'll watch it later tomorrow. I love tragic home shows :rolleyes:

Please tell me you literally mean taped, on a VHS. It would be even better if you used the g-code from the tv guide to program it.

(I think I still have and old VCR lying around somewhere, but I am a film and TV nerd, with a degree in Film & Video Nerdery)

the finished product (nearly here)- the exterior is actually not too bad. i drive past the site every day and they got vertical garden on the walls and not a bad penthouse.

In a 60 minute timeslot, you get 20 mins of ads, 35 mins of drama and crisis and tears, and 5 mins of actual demonstration of renovation techniques

No thanks.
Yep, this writeup sums it up nicely for me too...

Report Card: The Block Sky High

SMH said:
The opening challenge was to renovate one bedroom and bathroom in 48 hours, and the true nature of the program quickly becomes apparent: The Block is an ad.

About 50 per cent of airtime seems to be taken up by loving shots from all angles of the new Suzukis that the teams are given to drive.

Another twenty percent is loving shots of the Reece bathroom fittings showroom. At one point policewoman/identical twin Alisa simply starts listing prominent brand names.

The close-up of the show’s credit card, by contrast, is entirely natural and unforced: why wouldn’t you leave in a scene where someone explains how they intend to pay for their products? Audiences love seeing people choose cash or card.

It is during this challenge that a major weakness of The Block becomes apparent: it is a show in which we have to watch people shopping.

Cheers,
Michael

With PVR's and media centre's so easily available these days, you'd have to be a bit mad to watch adverts on TV.

Wow - haven't even been bothered to watch this one. Very odd for an avid renovator and stylist ... but the news article is right ... the last 2 series were to "commercial" and you barely got a glimpse of the room layout/finished product.

Might catch it tonight - or could catch up on some reading

Please tell me you literally mean taped, on a VHS. It would be even better if you used the g-code from the tv guide to program it.

(I think I still have and old VCR lying around somewhere, but I am a film and TV nerd, with a degree in Film & Video Nerdery)

My dad really enjoys his home media.

There is a projector screen (theatre room) upstairs in their house. It has a VHS hooked up, as they pretty much bought out Video Ezy when they were selling off all their VHS stock.

The roof of the house is full of (many) bread crates stacked high with VHS tapes. All the old movies.

Back