The Pitch

Anyone else been addicted to this show? SBS2 on Wednesday nights.

A fascinating look at the thought process inside advertising agencies - what works and what doesn't - how a pitch might seem fantastic in the office but sounds dreadful on the day and falls flat with the client.

So often simple, clear and concise is best. I like to work out my own "tag" line and/or pitch during the show to keep the brain creative.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/28413507572/The-Pitch-Ep1-Subway

I still have nightmares about pitches. I worked as a writer in a big agency for 15 years till I got too old.
The worst ones were where we were repitching for an account we already held. If the client was unhappy enough to put the business out to pitch and allow their existing agency to participate, we were very much on the back foot. I remember a bunch of us working in the agency for 40 hours straight (fuelled by pizza and chemicals) before one presentation. We lost.
Most stupid pitch was for Qantas. Our agency (Mojo) did the 'I still call Australia home' campaign. Qantas wanted to freshen it up - clients always tire of their advertising before the market does. The rumour was that Qantas had covertly asked another agency to pitch as well, so it was all hands on deck.
We had a new Creative Director who wanted to put his skew on the account. He was very clever, but an appalling person. It was a long weekend and the entire creative department - 6 writer/art director teams - kicked off on Saturday morning. Every 3 hours or so we assembled to run through the ideas we had come up with - those 'show and tell' sessions were never pleasant. Sunday was the same thing. And Monday. The youngsters were presenting ideas that were increasingly left of centre. And Qantas was not a left of centre client. By lunchtime Monday, I said, 'If the idea doesn't use that song, the account is walking.' Then I left.
On Tuesday, the boss of the agency reviewed the work, panicked, called in an old Mojo guy and he knocked up the variation on the campaign that used famous singers living around the world who still called Australia home. Not long after that, the clever but appalling Creative Director was moved from Sydney to Auckland.

I well remember Alan preparing campaigns for one client after the other ...then the client saying not what we are looking for...going somewhere else and using Alan's ideas but refusing to pay. Some big names among them. He used to just shrug his shoulders and say..move on....

The worst though were the Owners...who always thought they knew better than the professionals...Al was always so diplomatic...he would take their idea and make something professional out of it...presenting it as their idea...I well remember one who used to call in here day after day, including weekends to just "bounce" ideas...never wanted to pay for the time used.

When he died I received some wonderful accolades from his clients...what a shame they never told him.

Chris

My best mate, who still works in the industry and with whom I pulled off my best ever client paid trip (shoot), has a dream....

One day he wants to rent a billboard for a year and run every great idea that has ever been rejected by a client.

Back