The 'so how many properties do you have?' question and how to deal with it politely

This subject has come up many times before.

My reply from many years ago is copied below ;

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by devank View Post
Why did that old lady come to the property seminar if she is netting 2m p.a.??
Same reason we were there.

The same reason why probably 3/4 of the huge room was there.

======================================================
Great Dazz!!!!

Number is just numbers, yes its indicator but at the end of the days just number.

The day we stop learning, we stop growing.. I remember someone told me keep humble and keep learning.

We never look the number of properties, instead we stay humble and praise God and this universe for His bless.

Wife broke a record, and setup a new record this year for donations. We plan to support full operation cost of one orphanage, with God permission we will get there one day!!!

Care to share how many properties you own, their value, your LVR, your cash buffer and your income?

Do tell, don't be a douche :)

Ive purchased 2 about to purchase a 3rd, 90 lvr with 100k cash buffer whilst earning 71k.
And yourself, mate?

The elderly lady would not have known much about property management nor investing as all her wealth was inherited from her deceased husband. So a property seminar would have been relevant for her to learn how to manage and develop her portfolio.

The elderly lady would not have known much about property management nor investing as all her wealth was inherited from her deceased husband. So a property seminar would have been relevant for her to learn how to manage and develop her portfolio.

That's pretty funny.

There's a widow I know who was left many shops and buildings in the CBD and when I asked her why she lets her son manage the real estate rather than get a real estate agent to save the hassle, she said it was because her 40 year old son told her that real estate agents charge 30% of the rent as agent fees.

Turns out, the widow was left by her husband with not only the matrimonial home, but two large unencumbered office blocks in the middle of the Brisbane CBD, worth over 15m, generating clear nett rents of nearly 2m p.a.

Seems nobody has thought that this little old lady may have actively helped her husband achieve the matrimonial home and the two large unencumbered office blocks. Everybody seems to assume she was "given" these when her husband died. Perhaps she just sat around having facials her whole married life and did nothing to contribute :roll eyes:.

That's pretty funny.

There's a widow I know who was left many shops and buildings in the CBD and when I asked her why she lets her son manage the real estate rather than get a real estate agent to save the hassle, she said it was because her 40 year old son told her that real estate agents charge 30% of the rent as agent fees.

She is getting a bargain because the son only charges 25% right? :D ;)

Seems nobody has thought that this little old lady may have actively helped her husband achieve the matrimonial home and the two large unencumbered office blocks. Everybody seems to assume she was "given" these when her husband died.

The lovely lady was an inspiration to chat to. As I said previously, it was most definitely the highlight of the seminar having the privilege to meet her.

During the conversation, she told us many things how her and her husband started from scratch and were very frugal in their habits, living a simple life in Brisbane "when things were much slower".

The office blocks were originally just two old houses right smack bang in the middle of the city, and the houses were demolished and the office blocks built in the early 70's.....and they've kept them ever since.

She took over the overview when her husband died, but had an agent do all the PM day to day stuff. She wasn't a hanger on. She knew her stuff.

We were there to mingle with other property investors, as was she, as was most of the crowd. It was a Tuesday night, and attending a free property seminar at the Burswood beat the hell out of watching Neighbours on the TV.

It was a privilege to meet such a charming and humble lady.

Seems nobody has thought that this little old lady may have actively helped her husband achieve the matrimonial home and the two large unencumbered office blocks. Everybody seems to assume she was "given" these when her husband died. Perhaps she just sat around having facials her whole married life and did nothing to contribute :roll eyes:.

I thought exactly the same wylie , but half way through a reply to china , i thought I had better things to do with my time ....;)

Cliff

Yep I was going to say before dazz beat me, a big reason for her to be there might be to be amongst like minded people, to make some friendships, to enoy some nice company for the night. She also might be little lonely too. Maybe she also likes to pass on her experience and what she has learned to others and to learn stuff herself. There's always something new to learn too!

:)

Back