The Somersoft Barometer

keithj said:
Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a few more new members (or first time posters) asking about their situation lately.
I've noticed that too. Maybe the beginning of new investors doing research prior to entering the market.

keithj said:
Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a few more new members (or first time posters) asking about their situation lately. Do you have graphs to show this info ?
The graph is from Sim- I found it in the Gallery. I don't have access to the data- and Sim is extremely busy elsewhere ATM.

And I don't think any stats could show how many of the new people were asking about their situation :D

You can get some idea of new members by looking at the Members, and sorting by Join Date in reverse order.

Just had a thought as well.."How" are people hearing about Somersoft?

I read Jans books many years ago (1994 or so) but really only got introduced to Somersoft (from memory)after looking at PI.com and seing what else was around.

Redwing

skater said:
At one time I used to read every post every day. While it's great to see so many posting, I sometimes feel that I'm missing out as I have to pick & choose which threads to read now.:(

Yep, and I'm sure I'm missing some great posts and good information. Occasionally I'll do a search on some of my favourite forumites just so I can see where they're posting and what they're saying.

The thing is, some of the newer forumites have same fantastic stories and a lot of experience too.... ohhhhh, the dilemma.... :rolleyes:

redwing said:
When I first found Somersoft I was searching "Property Investing" on the internet. I found both Somersoft & PI.com around the same time.

redwing said:

Personally, I read Jans's latest book in late 2004 (just after reading Peter Spann's 10 Mill Portfolio book) and thought I'd have a look at her website out to see if I could find any other info.

Hiding up the top was a 'forum' link. Hmmmm, what's a forum??? :confused:

Have a little peek, and wham bam!!! There's a few thousand people hiding in there!!!!! And they're all talking about property!!! :p

So that's how I found it.... and haven't I learned a lot since then!?!?! (and occasionally have my say :p )

Cheers

Last edited:
Some good links there Geoff!

The first thread you posted (402) is awesome. Some great stories there from respected forumites that have no doubt told there stories a few times. I haven't had a chance to read the other 2 threads yet.

A few will be quite surprised to see they have kudos for a 3 1/2 yo post. :p

To go back to the talk of market sentiment, I think now is a terrific time to be in the market. Don't forget that vendors are also being bombarded by the media's talk of falling prices and no growth for years to come. This has made lots of vendors prepared to accept significantly reduced prices for their property. With the reduced numbers of buyers in the market there is far less competition. I've bought houses within 10K of Sydney city with instant equity in a booming market and I can tell you it is a lot easier to find right now.

redwing said:

Redwing

I read a story about Brenda Irwin and was impressed . I did a google on her.It was thru Reno Kings that I was able to send her a thank you for inspiring me to go after my dream. On that site that kept referring to Jan Somers and that lead me here.
After a while my husband starting posting too.

My daughter is just starting to open her eyes and thinking about investing too. In time I will get her to check out this forum as well.

I am looking at the following strategies in this "flat" period:

1) Reducing debt on PPOR
2) Investing in equities both in growth and income producing
3) Getting IP's revalued and topping up LoC
4) Focusing on rent increases to reduce -ve geared situation
5) Reading and learning as much as possible about property and shares
6) Consolidating and finalising other things in my life besides investing
7) Reviewing the strategies that I have engaged in over the past 5 years
8) Have not bought for 12 months now
9) Looking for the next opportunity
10) Increasing savings in super

CHeers

Tim

I like to keep an eye on the sentiment at Somersoft but haven't bought a property in almost two years, though have been involved in sales, subdivisions and looking at some more landbanking.

Most of our focus is in the boom markets (resources, etc), where I've been very active in setting up companies and making Angel and 'alternative' investments.

But then I'm not really a PROPERTY investor....I started in other areas, moved into property at the time when I felt appropriate, and have now moved on to greener pastures.

I'll be back when the market tells me to come back, but I don't expect that will be for a few more years.

I welcome all the new members however, there's a lot to learn from Somersoft about people, about investing, and even about property! :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I'm feeling it become even more active now.

About 90 threads updated per day? I'm not sure how many posts that is. But I'm feeling it getting much more active recently.

I'm feeling it become even more active now.

About 90 threads updated per day? I'm not sure how many posts that is. But I'm feeling it getting much more active recently.

I'd agree.

I just noticed this morning that the number of active users was 1,003.

I'm not sure what defines an "active user" but I can say that the figure was about 850 just a couple of months back.

M

While it may be a good sign, when compared to some Shares forums, its still quite low. Must be sign of the times.

Oscar

Maybe a better indicator might be the types of questions and thread topics that are being posted.
Cheers
Simon
Absolutely agree. When we get away from the 'contemplating your navel' discussions back to where and when and how to improve property we will be firing on all cylinders again.:D

Not that I am saying there is anything wrong with 'contemplating your naval'.

Cheers

Back