The United States

If people are interested I am happy to post if not I will not bother.

Nigel , I think people are more than willing to listen to you if you provide specific information on the how to and the why of investing in the USA. I know I'm genuinely interested , but I can see why others have reacted the way they have as much ( some would say all ...) of your posting could be interpreted as touting for business.

It's not enought to say their are good cash flow positive deals. In the current market , people are aware that the overall market appears to be turning / turned in the USA.

Is Texas the Perth of Australia in property terms ? What evidence do you have to back this up ? What does it historically do ? The properties may be cash flow pos , but have they trippled in value in the last five years ? Type of properties ? maintenance issues ? Rent collection issues ? Local taxes ? Property management ?

It's no good to just say it's a good place to invest. If you want people to use your business you need to tell us why . If people have to go and do all the due dilligence themselves then they'll probably do due dilligence on who to buy with.

See Change

why dont you read what I read

If you bothered to read my response I explaned my reasons for posting. I post information for those interested in the United States if you are not who cares. Happy investing. It suprises me the amount of people who are close minded. I will not promote services I am talking about the market. There are any areas in the world where you can make a profit. By the way Pitt st I created this opportunity by spending 12 months researching and developing contacts. Franky I do not really care what you think.

information will be happly posted.

Seachange

Fair enough comment. What I would like to do is post my experiences once I am there. My first intention isto establish the US business. But I am dealing with an accounting firm that specializes in structures for international investors. I will be ony to happy to post information. In terms of my cooents on due dilligence I always think that it is imortant for people to research a market and not take anyones word. Afterall its your money.

You don't post - you advertise.

There is a subtle, but important difference.

Learn it and I will go away.

I've been following this discussion/argument with great interest. I have to say that I agree with everything that Pitt St is saying. There is a big difference between sharing your knowledge through your posts & advertising for your services. They all appear to be advertisements to me.

By the way Pitt st I created this opportunity by spending 12 months researching and developing contacts.

OK Nigel, so show us all the charts and graphs etc. for the areas you've researched showing growth trends, historic figures, past yields, projected yields. Surely your research should have already covered all these things in detail. I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt but thus far, your posts have been nothing more than a billboard for your current venture. Prove me wrong.
JIM

Nigel Kibel said:
I post information for those interested in the United States.

Nigel, most of your content seems to comprise these three things:

i. There are great deals in the US (undoubtedly true)
ii. Do your own due dilligence (a very good idea)
iii. Guess what, I just happen to be a buyers agent who can help with 1 & 2 for a fee (also a fact)

None of us on this forum are expecting you to do our research for us.

However in your role you must have done a great deal of analysis which puts some intellectual weight behind what you're trying to sell.

Why aren't we seeing much of this in your posts? This has the potential to be really interesting stuff, even if most people stick to the country they know best.

I would guess that the majority of people here either haven't been to the US, or if they have it was for recreational or business rather than IP research purposes.

So much of our impressions of the US come from their media, movies, websites, etc.

But these images are likely to be simplistic. Just like Neighbours isn't fully representative of modern Australia. This is no criticism as it wasn't meant to - it's only a TV show after all! But as investors we need more rigour before parting with our dollars.

There are so many aspects of US life and society which on the surface is similar but which have some differences that we could (and should) be educated in if we are to invest there.

What are US cities like? What is their society like? Does their more mobile population mean that suburbs gentrify and decline quicker than they do elsewhere? Does their more fluid labour market make life harder for landlords? Is there a so-called 'underclass'?

Are there rent controls in some areas? Do consumer protection laws unfairly leave landlords out of pocket? If a tenant develops a disabilty, are you obligated to make your property ADA compliant?

Is so-called 'white flight' still occurring in the inner cities, or are parts being gentrified as occurs here? What is the state of their central business districts. Are suburbs homogeneous or becoming more diverse?

I'd guess that the number of migrants (legal or otherwise) settling in the US each year wouldn't be much less than a couple of million. But their distribution by state and ethnicity varies much more widely there than here. Where are they settling and what are their housing choices?

All this and more is CORE KNOWLEDGE for the prospective investor, wherever they buy. The higher the chance of reward, the more they must research to reduce risk.

Nigel, there are many interesting things you can write about and the above is just a few. Then we can see the substance behind the spruiking and everyone can learn in the process. And if you do win clients from the forum, then no one will begrudge you for it due to the contribution you've made.

Peter

Now and then, there are good results from not just "blowing away" a post, and this seems to be an example of one of them.

If Mods just deleted every doubtful post, the bulk of readers don't get to learn from experienced investors. This thread is (IMHO) a gem. And thanks to all those who replied - there is a feast of "food for thought" right there. Nigel said it (do your due diligence - "It's your money") - and every other poster said the same right back to him (from a different perspective). And along the way, a bunch of serious questions were asked.

Can Nigel provide answers for Acey, See-change, Spiderman, Pitt St, Skater, Alexlee, JJJ, et al ? Hmmm. Well, Nigel's in the right place to find the answers. Let's see what he turns up - could be interesting...

I reckon we all understand it might take a week or two to come up with the goods. Over to you, Nigel. Let's hear more of the "important stuff" re San Antonio,

Regards,

Nigel
You are getting slammed here because of your vaguness.
You have a right to defend your self in detail.
if you come onto a forum with naive investors you can say nearly anything , but you can expect to be challenged if you are not clear.
You are not clear because many people say so.

Everyone would be intersted to know how many properties, if any, you have bought in the USA personaly and as a buyers agent.
What is your usa accreditation in the real Estate field?
How many properties ,if any have you bid on.wher eand when.

Why take the currency exchange risk when you could seee a 20 % or more move in the value odf the dollar as has happened numerous time in the past.

What extra cost is $ terms is there for a similar Australian purchase.............now you definetly must have that figure

I am not charging australians

I am not promoting buyers servises in the United States. As I research I will happily pass the information on. It will take a little time as I am here to set up and yes run a business. If I can get information on th right structures and potential deals and esach information I will post it here.

I am not promoting buyers servises in the United States.

Nigel

I'm sorry, I obviously owe you an apology.

I've somehow misconstrued your 6 threads on your Texas activities as advertisements.

How stupid of me.

M :rolleyes:

ps. Statements like the one you just made only make you look worse.

pps. This is where you crawl back under your rock, lick your wounds, and only re-emerge when you can provide this forum with concrete data and information that is not part of a sales pitch.

Nigel, there is another thread that was started some time ago (another of those "Closed Threads") by Quiggles that goes into the nitty gritty of what he went through when purchasing in the US. He did this, step by step, not to sell anything but to educate others that were on the same path & it was a good educational tool.

Please, when you can come back here with that kind of information, then by all means do so, but in the mean time, stop trying to tell us that you are NOT promoting your activities in the US. All your posts come off as advertisements to use your services, but then you openly admit that you don't know the answers to some of the questions you have been asked.

It looks to me that you are a Buyers Agent willing to take commissions from those who can't/won't do their own due dilligence, but worse than that (everyone is allowed to earn an income) you don't appear to have any clue about the basic due dilligence that many would require. I hate to say it, but at this stage you don't appear to be all that competant in the area of US Real Estate.

The three Ps - Place, Properties, People

Nigel Kibel said:
As I research I will happily pass the information on. It will take a little time as I am here to set up and yes run a business. If I can get information on th right structures and potential deals and esach information I will post it here.

I'm surprised you haven't taken up the opportunity offered and addressed some of the serious questions posed.

These are more fundamental than structures and 'esach information'.

Eg real basic stuff eg 'Is this a good place to invest', 'for whom?' and 'what are the opportunities?'.

Any buyers advocate worth his salt will have thoroughly researched the area before deciding that it's worth promoting. Anyone whose done their homework on an area will be able to reel the attributes and demographics straight off the top of their head.

Every area has a little story (good or bad) that you can flesh out with research and stats to paint a picture.

Eg a few years ago you could say that Geraldton was a major centre with the cheapest coastal land in Australia, steady population growth, reasonable rental yields and substantial infrastructure being built. Ditto for Bunbury, which for several years was cheaper than Busselton. People who bought in these places did well.

Rockingham/Mandurah was much the same, but for years it was 20-30% cheaper than most other Perth suburbs. Population growth was exceptional as Perth's development switched from north to south, while big educational and transport projects are making it more accessible. This area has also made many investors very happy.

Kalgoorlie hasn't done so well with capital growth, but rents are high, and it, like Mt Isa, was probably the last city where CF+ was readily available. So a case could have been made for this area as well (though it will still not suit all investing styles).

Then there are suburbs in Melbourne which people leave as soon as they can afford to. These are suburbs of last resort. Population inflows into these areas are disproportionately drawn from low socio-economic groups and unemployment remains high. If buy & hold/capital growth is your thing and like Peter Spann you want to 'follow the money' then you might be better off buying elsewhere.

On the other hand, there are other cheapish suburbs where the socio-economic profile is more even (middle income earners as well as bottom) and the demographics are more stable. These areas might turn out quite well long-term and be good investments (some have mentioned Frankston).

For all we know you might have done this sort of research on US cities and their suburbs.

But none of us know since such information is conspicuously absent from your posts.

Yet such information is essential before a decision is made on whether to invest at all, let alone think about structures and legal stuff. The best structure won't help if the underlying asset is a lemon.

do your due diligence

You've been asked about 'places', but there hasn't been much substance despite repeated requests and even suggestions as to what topics could be discussed.

As it seems futile persisting I'll move onto the next one, which is 'Properties'. We'll have to skip that too as we don't know about places yet.

So now we get to people. In this case, you.

If you're dealing with someone on a professional financial basis you need to make sure that they're honest and not a con. So one looks up things like ASIC websites and even Google.

This has disclosed that you're politically active.

http://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/17726.html

That's healthy; it's highly commendable to have people constructively involved in public affairs and there should be more of it.

'The Australian' colunmist Glenn Milne has an opinion piece about moves within the Liberal Party to oust Petro Gergiou.

Someone with your name (president of the Auburn Branch) was apparently behind this push. As we now know this move was not successful. Again, there is no shame in not winning. There will always be people with different views and democratic competition within a political party. It was always thus and will always be.

But what was interesting was that Milne alleges that your branch of the Liberal Party is unconstitutional. The 'Australian' column appears as item 4 here:

http://lists.perthimc.asn.au/pipermail/safecom-announce/2006-April/000102.html

Now there can be several explanations.

1. There is someone else of your namesake involved and you are not
2. The article was wrong (note it was only an opinion piece and not a hard report)
3. The article was correct and it is you involved
4. Some mixture of the above (the media sometimes gets complex stories wrong or ignores critical nuances)

It is to be hoped that either 1 and 2 is correct. If so, this post ends right here.

However anyone searching might have been led to believe that 3 was correct if they didn't question it further. Anyone doing due diligence on you would be entitled to ask a question about publicly available material about you, so I do so here.

Personal questions are often the hardest of all to answer. But they must be asked if (and especially if) answers to the others are unsatisfactory or aren't forthcoming, as in this case.

Even links to relevant articles or a commitment to get back to us later to address the issues raised would have been the least you could have done if time was short. And this might have redeemed your image in the eyes of those who suspect you're big in spruiking and small on substance.

Peter

Guys

I think Nigel has got the message ;) .

He sounds as though he is busy at the moment with moving / setting up the business and might take a short while to get back .

Nigel , any idea how long before you'd be able to get back with the sort of info that people are mentioning ?

See Change

This is the first thread I have ever deleted my subscription to.

I get an email everytime someone posts to a subscribed thread, and this is one I can do without...

Forum policy does not allow me to post this link.

But a google search with "Nigel Kibel" and the name of a certain "un-named consumer advocate" will turn up an interesting link.

M

This means that I will be able to source some great deals for Australians, from straight purchases to foreclosures and even renovation opportunities
This business is aimed staight at American investors, not Australians
I am not promoting buyers servises in the United States.
Nigel,

So which is which? First you're a buyer's agent, then you're not a buyer's agent.

You can source deals for Aussies, then your business is aimed at Americans and not Australians.

I'm struggling to remember a single thread in which you've provided concrete information or stats to back up your assertions, rather than just offering your services.

I think Pitt St has hit the nail on the head, and there is very little else left to say.

Enjoy your time in the States.

Jamie.

response

I would like to make a few comments on some of the responses listed here. I was doing some buyers advoacy work in Australia. In America I am here to run a Real Estate group. It was clear to me when I did my research that there is a strong market in Texas for positive cashflow properties especially small and large apartment complexes. Clearly if you live in the United States it is easier to buy here because you are already in the US tax system. That is why I have taken the opportunity to move here so that I can better understand and learn the market back to front which is what I will do. I will make a committment to post of my experiences. There are two issues that Australia investors need to be aware of firstly you will unless the property is really cheap only get about 70% loan on an investment. Secondly Texas does not have state tax but they do have a 3% property tax. So if you purchased a $300,000 apartment complex you would be up for $9,000 in taxes. Claerly you need to take both things into account hen looking here. Structures may be important in terms of how tax may be treated in Australia. In terms of due dilligence I am just stating that no matter who you are dealing with it is important to check to make sure that what you are being told is correct.

In terms of the other comments such as my political involement I was not leading the push on the member for Kooyong. I was asked by a journalist my view and I told them that in a democracy we have the right to question how effective a member is. In a seat like Kooyong if you are endorsed for the seat by the Liberal party you will win. My comment was referring to the fact that we should encourage worth whil people to run and challenge sitting members.

The other articles by so a so called consumer advoacte frankly was unfair. It was mainly referring to when I worked for the investment institute. The article refers to a client unhappy with something she brought.I had nothing to do with the transaction. Let me state that my position there was to conduct property investment training courses. Which is what I did. Where I have purchased properties for people in Australia I have been vary careful. I helped a client a few weeks ago buy a property in Elwood. I had been dealing with her for three months. The reason I took so long was that two months ago I thought the area was to expensive. Since the last interest rate drop prices have come back and we bought a property that both my client an I thought was a good buy for the area. I say this only because I have always tried to put what is best for the client first as of course I should do. If I have offended some people on this site by my past posts I am sorry. I will change the way I post and as mentioned ealier I post information on Texas within the next week or so. I only arrive here last night and I am still a little jet lagged.

Back