The United States

I have accepted comments on this forum and will try to post useful information for people who wish to find out more about the United States or should I say San Antonio. I repeat, I am not trying to sell anything, my main market is in the United States. I am happy to share information as I come accross it.
Just have to ask the question as you have invested in the US r/e market
how is your business, with all the doom and gloom around in the US house
markets..willair..

Isn't it strange to say 'Texas is better' or 'California is better' anyway? South Central LA is not Beverley Hills, and the Bay Area is not Oakland. I mean, if someone said to us 'NSW is better' or 'QLD is better' wouldn't our first response be: 'WHERE in NSW and QLD'? Blacktown is not the same as Double Bay.
Alex

Thank you - took the words right out of my mouth. I live in LA. And I can tell you that one part of LA is a different world to another part of LA. LA is a huge metropolitan area. I wouldn't be caught dead buying in most parts of LA right now (or maybe ever). But even in todays market, i have considered buying in certain areas due to location demographics and the fact that property inventory in those areas will never increase - there is no more land! And yes CA is overpriced but you're probably looking at some median average prices over huge areas - these are irrelevant. LA dragged surrounding areas along with the boom prices. Over here the property pricing/sales sites usually compare within zip code and sometimes even a sub-area within the zip code.

St Antonia is indeed cheaper - but there's a very good reason. There is not, nor will be in the foreseeable future, anywhere close to the indsutry, business, commerce as there is in LA, and thus the demand by people wanting to live there is not and will not be as great - hence price differences. You could also factor in beaches, lifestyle etc...

Who was it here actually buying in the US and was making informative posts about the process? A search didn't help me.

Well I currently own (and occupy) here in LA, so have gone through the process so am willing to share anything people are interested in. I have to admit that having bought and owned in Australia before moving, I found it a little bewildering going through it here and there are lots of pros for the Australian system and process.

I just can't for the life of me understand why anyone would go abroad to invest in property.

With huge differences in taxes, laws, culture of doing business etc, I just see it as more headaches than it's worth.

Take a chance, expand your horizons?

Hell yeah, i've been doing that for the last 14 years, but right here in the greatest country on earth.

Buying OS properties? No thanks, too many negatives in my book.

hi all
I am very interested in investing in the us market or for that matter in other markets but I am interested in investing via a fund.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,22395518-36375,00.html?from=public_rss
like this type.
I did think that they would be on there way just was not sure how quick they would appear seems they are quicker then I thought would be possible.
I have been on these boards for some time and if you go back about 1 to 2years that you will find when people have been saying to invest in the us that i did not see the reason to at that stage as there were issues with the areas that were be told as great places to invest.
buffalo and even texas.
well you will find that you can invests in those areas now or you will be able to at about a 90% discount some of these funds are saying 79cents for a book $1.0 but there are alot lower then these.
and there are a couple of local groups that are massing war chests to take a bite.
so where to invest in the us
your guess is as good as mine.
maybe an interesting guestion
is any one going to the us to buy property

I did think that they would be on there way just was not sure how quick they would appear seems they are quicker then I thought would be possible.
I well you will find that you can invests in those areas now or you will be able to at about a 90% discount some of these funds are saying 79cents for a book $1.0 but there are alot lower then these.
and there are a couple of local groups that are massing war chests to take a bite.
so
That's on the face value of today,the value% part, may be different
in a few weeks time from what i read,what happens if the value factor
is only 50 cents in the dollar or less..imho willair

hi willair
interesting question
and needs a very interesting answer
and goes to the heart of this current correction
and that is risk.
when a bank has a run on it and it has to close not all the people that have taken loans with that bank are high risk so you have to pick out the eyes as they say and thats what these funds do.
so the risk profil of what was a bad bank becomes a good bank
its capitalism at is most profitable.
the other thing to look at is if the rental in the area will cover a certain value and you are buying at say 30% of that value then do you care if the market corrects again as you are looking at long term holds.
I did have a post where I explained that value is a pie in the sky amount
as your value and my value are very different and price is adjustable.
the only thing for me to look for is risk,return,growth,equity and cost to me and no where in that is value.
in a correcting market you have to judge value and thats value to you.
and that can be very difficult to do.
and its horses for coarses.
and here is a simple version of how these deals pan out
a pro 1mil a customer has a loan for say 800k
and you buy the book value of that 800k from a liquidator for 20% of value so 160k
and the borrower keeps paying you
if they default you put tennants in the house you own.
so you don't buy the house you buy the loan.

Last edited:
usa

It is important to do your research very carefully when looking at the United States. As many of you know I spent much of last year in San Antonio, not st. It is true that Texas is a lot cheaper, but San Antonio is also the 3rd fastest growing city in the United States, with Toyata, the largest car marker in the United States opening a second plan there with a possible third. The one one industry their at present are Medical and biotech.

The fact that you can buy positive cashflow property their is also good, but you can also buy slums, so you need to be careful.

I have also been looking at Indiana, where at face value if you buy $400,000 worth of property you willl recieve $40,000 after all costs including your mortgage. I will need to go their and spend time to confirm some of my research.

Keep in mind that America has a population of other 300 Million people. Services on the ground are poor and it is important to do your resaerch and carefully develop your contacts.

Back