There's a sucker born every minute.

This is embarrasing, but since I don't know any of you lot from a bar of soap [except for Thorpie] I'll share.

Me and the wife are staying right in the middle of Surfers Paradise for a few nights without the kids. Just right in Caville avenue. We have never stayed in Surfers before. So the very first walk around some Pom grabs us and gets both of us to scratch a scratchy. And guess what? I won either a $1000 or a $1000 gift or $1000 holiday, but all we had to do was attend a seminar for 1.5 hours on holiday clubs or some rubbish. I was made fully aware that the prize was mine no matter if we signed anything or not and I was just lucky.

Now, I'm fully aware of these scams, but for some strange reason my brain went into dumb mode. I just wanted my $1000 and get the hell out of there. :D

So, into the seminar, and after 1.5 hours me and the wife were both looking embarrasingly at each other as we realised how silly we were being there. By now we just wanted to get out, but we didn't want to cause a scene. It must be nearly over, so we will just endure it and go? After 2.5 hours and no end in sight, I said to one of the numerous sales people who were bombarding us that we just had to go. The reply was, "you are free to go whenever you want but you wont get your prize". :) Of course, by then we knew there was no prize, and we just got up and started walking, and the poor sales people were chasing after us trying to get us back. One fello ran all the way down to the ground and promised if we went back up he'd give me the $1000.

A bit of research on the net turns out most people have to endure 4 hours of constant sales pressure, then get hit to pay up over 20 grand for this scheme.

All pretty funny in hindsight and me and the wife had a great laugh about it all, but it was a very painfull 2.5 hours.

Went to skilled park stadium last night to see my first NRL game and a great win by the mighty Titans. All good.

See ya's.

Last edited:
aah, yes!

I was jogging - yes jogging around Caville ave one morning several years ago and got stopped by a gorgeous chick about just such a scheme.

I was quick on my feet and said; look, I can't get there today, but what about tomorrow? And she let me go. :rolleyes:

Another time, my wife and I were staying in some apartments at Greenmount, and we were invited to a seminar in the building, which included a free breakfast. Gotta luve that if it's real....

When we got there the next day, I saw lots of hints of a sales approach around the room. (we were into investing by this time, and I had the antennae up for this sort of thing).

I immediately asked the guy at the entrance to the room if this was a seminar to sell IP's and he said "yes; do you know much about investment propery?" or words to that affect.

We left.

Last edited:
I am amused and also reminded of when we attended one of these sessions:eek::D

We filled in one of those forms 'just to see' many, many years ago, they phoned and said there was a free dinner set on offer.

Anyway, we sat through the whole session and by then I was in stubborn mode and was going to get my dinner set and not sign a damn thing. In the end out of sheer exasperation they gave us the dinner set and we left.

From memory I couldn't believe how many people actually signed up on what really was a bad idea even back in the 70's.

These days you can buy them at massive discounts and people even gift them to charities just to get from under the maintenance costs.

No, just went to look at which charities will accept a time share and this lot have this to say

We are disappointed to discontinue this service. However, we trust you can appreciate that we must suspend any service through which we can no longer provide a result that is consistent with our mission: to foster a culture of revolutionary generosity through the cost-effective processing and liquidation of non-cash assets for the benefit of nonprofit organizations.

http://idonate.com/page.php?RId=7

A mate of mine who has stayed in Surfers a number of times loves the free breakky ones as he goes along to partake and then ups and walks out.

Just coming back to the sucker headline. You really can't pick it as another friend recently went to Hawaii stayed in a timeshare arranged by one of the group and then they all signed up at some ridiculous cost:eek:. This is a person who is well educated and holds a high powered job.

Cheers

Been there, done that... got some vouchers for a free meal and drinks at a local hotel from a mob flogging insanely expensive mattresses. It was mildly entertaining and fairly soft sell so the three hours weren't that unbearable. Glad to get away in the end though!

I love Surfers' & yeah, all the sleaze & scams is just part of what makes it so, um, special. Actually I'm quite surprised my parents have never fallen for the scratchie guys coz they are pretty naive.

All pretty funny in hindsight and me and the wife had a great laugh about it all, but it was a very painfull 2.5 hours.
Hi TC, this reminded me of our first trip to Hawaii as very novice travellers and how we got roped in with the "free breakfast' offer and spent several precious hours cooped up in a room listening to speils about which tourist attraction on the island to sign up for. Once bitten ...
Frizzle

Hi TC, this reminded me of our first trip to Hawaii as very novice travellers and how we got roped in with the "free breakfast' offer and spent several precious hours cooped up in a room listening to speils about which tourist attraction on the island to sign up for. Once bitten ...
Frizzle

Actually we did this and were quite glad we did. The shuttle group that took us to and from the airport had an orientation (every day I assume) the next morning at breakfast. No pressure what so ever to go, but we did. Only there for about an hour, but they outlined many different tours available to go on incl. Pearl Harbour, Snorkeling, Island Tour etc. which we signed up for and thoroughly enjoyed. Fairly regualr pricing eg. $40 for Island Tour each incl. getting picked up and dropped off from hotel.

We signed up for about 5 different activites from memory. Granted we may have been able to find out about these ourselves, but it wouldn't have necessarily been any cheaper, would have had to organise with all the seperate operators rather than all at once, and chances are we would have missed one or two of the trips we really enjoyed. Looking back now, next time we go to Hawaii I'd more than likely sign up for interested tours through the same sort of set up again.

On the other hand, we walked right past all the timeshare booths, including the one inside the hotel where the woman grabbed us on our way back from dinner. "Sorry, we already own enough property" :D

so what was the outcome? do they offer people $1000 if they sit there and listen for 4 hours and not buy anything?

I don't understand how it works for them???

so what was the outcome? do they offer people $1000 if they sit there and listen for 4 hours and not buy anything?

10 people in a room, give 7 of them a grand each for turning up and flog the other 3 a timeshare with 50k markup each :cool:

or,

Offer the 1000 as a discount off of said 50k markup timeshare :rolleyes:

I have no idea, but I assumed it was all just a rort and lie. I'd guess only someone who stayed the full 4 hours would get anything, and possibly only those who sign. By the time we left, I would have paid $1000 just to get out of there.

See ya's.

I have been to the GC maybe four times. I hate that its out tourist destination surely there are better places in OZ!

I once had someone do this to me down there and i fresh from the country had no idea what it was and walked away. I told him i didnt like B &^%$ and kept walking.

But i just assumed it was dodgy and had no idea all the B*&^ behind the scam!

Do they bust the people running these? Are they illegal??? Or is it just one of those things that slips through the cracks :)

Do they bust the people running these? Are they illegal??? Or is it just one of those things that slips through the cracks :)

Why would they be illegal? People attend the 'seminars' of their own free will and tend to hang around because its too awkward to make a fuss and leave when they feel like. Unless they're selling something illegal, anyone can walk up to you in the land of democracy and free speech to ask you a question in the street. ;)

Back