Things that inspire you!

I thought it would be fun to share a few things that inspire us.

1) I can sometimes think way too negatively. I found most of Pennyk's posts very positive and calming to read. I was particulary inspired by this post. http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79401

2) I lost a dear friend to breast cancer last month. She accepted the cancer had gone too far to continue looking for a cure in the middle of this year and was intent on making the most of what life she had left. She held a large party of over 100 people and celebrated her life, and personally thanked everyone for being a part of it. I first met her 16 years ago and I've always been inspired by her values and personality. Every Friday night she would have "Family Fun Night". It was a night that was dedicated to the family spending time together, making pizza's, playing board games, etc. She has such a beautiful family and she has inpired me to also do the Friday "Family Fun Night". I miss her but I'm so glad she has been a part of my life.

3) I saw a boy yesterday who was about 11 years old with his mum and younger brother. The older boy was on crutches and was missing half of his leg. They were attending a business that produces prosphetics. Going to and from the business they were all very happy with smiles on their faces. Although the boy was struggling a bit moving about with his crutches he was very indepenendent. I found it really inspiring watching the joy on their faces and to see how positive they all were. It reminded me of the saying, "Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff".

Last edited:
Hi Invstor, what a great post, and great timing with R U OK Day yesterday.

I am a naturally melancholy person, and I find if I work really hard at being positive and looking on the bright side then it becomes a habit and increases my happiness and well being. PennyK's comments are spot on, as are yours when you talk about looking at positive people around you. On Somersoft I've also been inspired by Lizzie's interview, where she talks about how close they came to disaster, but she stayed positive and carried on. There are several other members who also inspire me.

In general, I am currently inspired by art and nature (I recently started a Fine Arts degree for fun), and by my children who are heading ever closer to their teenage years, so I am trying to soak in all of their delightfulness!

In general, I am currently inspired by art and nature (I recently started a Fine Arts degree for fun), and by my children who are heading ever closer to their teenage years, so I am trying to soak in all of their delightfulness!

I'm inspired by art and nature too!! I was only just thinking yesterday about what I want to do in my life, what career or business should I build? Then I thought, why don't I do something fun? I always wished that I had learnt screen printing, photography, and had further drawing and painting skills. I'm thinking of studying next year also.

My eldest has just become a teenager so I'm trying to make the most of our special family time. My daughter like us to dress up nicely and do our nails together, and make a special night of going out to dinner, and my son loves to give me lots of cuddles, so I'm making the most of it!

On Somersoft I've also been inspired by Lizzie's interview, where she talks about how close they came to disaster, but she stayed positive and carried on.

Thanks for that Monty ... actually I am a dangerous optimistic person who doesn't seem to see any negative - even to the point that, about 4 weeks ago, my daughters' horse reared and cracked my ribs - and all I could think was "could have been worse. She could've smeared my nose across my face"

Life is so much more fun being an optimist.

Hubby is a bit of a pessimist (although he would disagree) - drives me nuts but keeps me grounded!

Lizzie, it's good to have a bit of ying and yang in our relationships!
I try to focus on people in my life who are positive, it helps me stay that way too.

Invstor, hope you get to take up some study, I am loving my course (BArts Fine Arts with Curtin Uni via Open Universities). I can do it all from home, sit on my lounge and listen to lectures on my iPad, assignments are sent in by email, easy to manage and balance with family life. It's very refreshing to exercise the creative side of my brain, as my work is very analytical. I've completed a term of oil painting, and currently studying creativity. I figured I've done more than enough work-based study so this is all for fun.

what a great thread/topic. I too struggle with negative self talk and try to focus on the positive (often hard in the face of adversity).

I am really inspired by the stories on here (as well as in the various prop mags) of people who have "made it". I really like the thought of being able to focus on something constructive (own business) as opposed to "working for the man" :)

Invstor, hope you get to take up some study, I am loving my course (BArts Fine Arts with Curtin Uni via Open Universities). I can do it all from home, sit on my lounge and listen to lectures on my iPad, assignments are sent in by email, easy to manage and balance with family life. It's very refreshing to exercise the creative side of my brain, as my work is very analytical. I've completed a term of oil painting, and currently studying creativity. I figured I've done more than enough work-based study so this is all for fun.
So you work part-time, invest, am a mum to approaching/new teenagers, and studying? That's quite a work-load! How much time do you spend on your course per week? Did you ever do senior art first? I've always considered doing senior art, so I think that may be my starting point. Do you hope to produce sellable artwork at the end, or is it clearly just for your own satisfaction? I've also always been interested in interior decorating - so that may be another path, that may fit in with investing.

Back