Things to see/do on a drive from Gold Coast to Perth!

So were nearly all set! Hubby has been working on the ute for the past few weeks fitting a long range water/fuel tank, bullbar, roof top tent etc and were almost ready for the departure.

We are heading over to Perth for work, travel and whatever comes our way. Pretty fed up with the Gold Coast work situation and as the hubby is a welder by trade (hoping to complete a inspectors course when we get there) we are hoping for an increase in employment opportunities (and income) I'm a recently qualified bookkeeper so hopefully I can find something too.

Anyone done the drive across and if so any routes to avoid/places to visit?? All advice greatly appreciated! We have 'the longest golf course in the world' on our list as well as a few other places to keep us occupied.

Cheers
Ems

Have a look at Lightning Ridge on the way past if you haven't been there before. As I recall there is an unsealed road from Collarenabri that cuts a good chunk off the trip. It's about 780km or so from Brisbane and is pretty close to the route to Perth.

How long do you want to spend getting there?

Great Ocean Road, Snowy Mountains and Victorian Alps, Canberra, Flinders Ranges, Stanley Chasm outside Alice Springs, Uluru, Tasmania...

I know, I should have been a travel agent.

I guess in a straight line you could do the Dubbo Zoo and the Observatory at Parkes, then go west to Broken Hill. Go north at peterborough and spend a few days in the Flinders, especially if you go on a flight over the Simpson and the Corner. Do not stop at Wilcannia.

I could write at least half a dozen ways of getting from GC to Dubbo.

On the other hand you can go north from the GC, skip Brisbane and the Sunny Coast and head inland. Check out the investment opportunities on the Darling Downs, head north to Longreach and spend a few days in the Outback there. Visit the dinosaurs. At Threeways, turn right and go to Darwin via Kakadu and return via Litchfield NP. Head south. Decide about now whether to go west to Broome or continue onto Alice and Adelaide. If heading west, check Quarantine.

So were nearly all set! Hubby has been working on the ute for the past few weeks fitting a long range water/fuel tank, bullbar, roof top tent etc and were almost ready for the departure.

We are heading over to Perth for work, travel and whatever comes our way. Pretty fed up with the Gold Coast work situation and as the hubby is a welder by trade (hoping to complete a inspectors course when we get there) we are hoping for an increase in employment opportunities (and income) I'm a recently qualified bookkeeper so hopefully I can find something too.

Anyone done the drive across and if so any routes to avoid/places to visit?? All advice greatly appreciated! We have 'the longest golf course in the world' on our list as well as a few other places to keep us occupied.

Cheers
Ems

Depends which way you go. Top End or Down Under?

Great Ocean Road, Snowy Mountains and Victorian Alps, Canberra, Flinders Ranges, Stanley Chasm outside Alice Springs, Uluru, Tasmania...

I know, I should have been a travel agent.

I guess in a straight line you could do the Dubbo Zoo and the Observatory at Parkes, then go west to Broken Hill. Go north at peterborough and spend a few days in the Flinders, especially if you go on a flight over the Simpson and the Corner. Do not stop at Wilcannia.

I could write at least half a dozen ways of getting from GC to Dubbo.

On the other hand you can go north from the GC, skip Brisbane and the Sunny Coast and head inland. Check out the investment opportunities on the Darling Downs, head north to Longreach and spend a few days in the Outback there. Visit the dinosaurs. At Threeways, turn right and go to Darwin via Kakadu and return via Litchfield NP. Head south. Decide about now whether to go west to Broome or continue onto Alice and Adelaide. If heading west, check Quarantine.

What's the go with Wilcannia? I remember Walgett being pretty rough and ready when I passed through there as a kid.

Hi Ems,

We need to know south or west from QLD

Soooo many places that we have been to, wouldn't know where to start. What are you interested in, natural wonders or tourist activities ?

Definitely try to get to Lightning Ridge, stay at least one night and just go for a drive around the place meet the locals.

Dont forget the thermal bore for a dip in the evening.

You could always drop in here on your way for a cuppa as well.;)

Thanks for all the info so far and sorry should have clarified a few more points.

At the moment were hoping to do the trip in about 3 weeks give or take a day or two.

I plotted the quickest route and it came up with us going through Broken hill, Port Augusta, along the lake Eyre hwy, up through Kalgoorlie and then onto Perth. 4365kms!! Oh my gosh!

Hubby would like to do Lake Eyre and a few other detours that could add another week or so to the trip. Nothing is set in concrete so if it's worth seeing then were up for it! Going south this time and coming back north (if we come back) ;)

Cheers
Ems

Definitely try to get to Lightning Ridge, stay at least one night and just go for a drive around the place meet the locals.

Dont forget the thermal bore for a dip in the evening.

You could always drop in here on your way for a cuppa as well.;)

Thanks for the offer Fence! :)

I wonder how many forumites we can squeeze in on the way through! :D

On my hubby's and kids last trip they went to Uluru for a couple of days and spent 3 days visiting friends in Kalgoorlie. It took 11 days. The photo's of Uluru are amazing - I definately want to go there!! I'll see if I can send you a PM link to some pics!

On my hubby's and kids last trip they went to Uluru for a couple of days and spent 3 days visiting friends in Kalgoorlie. It took 11 days. The photo's of Uluru are amazing - I definately want to go there!! I'll see if I can send you a PM link to some pics!

Thanks INVSTOR! :)

Thanks for all the info so far and sorry should have clarified a few more points.

At the moment were hoping to do the trip in about 3 weeks give or take a day or two.

I plotted the quickest route and it came up with us going through Broken hill, Port Augusta, along the lake Eyre hwy, up through Kalgoorlie and then onto Perth. 4365kms!! Oh my gosh!

Hubby would like to do Lake Eyre and a few other detours that could add another week or so to the trip. Nothing is set in concrete so if it's worth seeing then were up for it! Going south this time and coming back north (if we come back) ;)

Cheers
Ems

I can recommend checking out McDermid Rock (shaped like a wave!) near Norseman and the artwork in Lake Ballard (north of Kal).

Thanks INVSTOR! :)
I did a photo album with Tripadvisor, but it's saying my pictures aren't available so I can't share. Don't know why? Great Australian Bite is good to see also. When I drove over with hubby, 6 months pregnant, we went a faster way where Kalgoorlie was a few hours out of our way.

How did the drive go? What did you see on the way??
You don't happen to need short term accom in Perth do you? lol

Last edited:
How did the drive go? What did you see on the way??
You don't happen to need short term accom in Perth do you? lol

The drive took just under 3 weeks and we stopped off at Goondiwindi, lightning ridge, broken hill, adelaide, the Barossa valley, (then travelled over the Nullabor completing the longest golf course in the world) Onto Kalgoorlie, wave rock then into Fremantle before heading north to our friends place in Craigie. 6007kms!!!

We are currently staying with friends but could be looking for somewhere in the new year. Can you maybe PM me more info?

Cheers
Ems

Back