Those Annoying Real Estate Agents

Mike

Hubby's uncle was the Treasurer for quite a few sporting groups when he lost his job then went into selling real estate on commission.

The uncle had a 10 year RE career (started at 40 years of age with 4 kids), brought into an ageny did property development and retired (at age 50 years)to continue land development eg subdivisions.

He is still Treasurer of a few organisations and a Senior's Day Club.

The reason he picked the Treasurer's job (if the money is managed correctly there are no problems with clubs and he) was that he was down town working and could easily bank the money etc. and he didn't have the time for Secretary or President positions as he had 4 kids + he play sport.

I think his community involvement allowed him to come into contact with lots of people = networks.

Cheers
Sheryn

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck. Same with junk mail.

Kudos Marc.

Mike; if you really believe what you just said, I feel sorry for you.

Junk mail to most people means no unaddressed and/or non-Australia Post mail, and often includes local newspapers.

I can tell you that if I have a NO JUNK MAIL sticker on my letterbox, and some agent puts a flyer into it; he'll never sell my house, and I'll never buy one off him.

And I'll tell all my contacts how a slimey cheeky agent put a flyer into my letter box where the sticker was in plain sight.

So, I wouldn't advise trying to spin your way into justifying putting those flyers where they are not wanted.

The main issue I face in the industry is how do I get to know locals because obviously our goal is to create a database of (ideally) the entire area to stay in contact with & eventually win their business.

Mike: This is an idea which I saw work really effectively in California.

Agents new to the area would work hard to find out all about the small community organisations - e.g. sports clubs for kids / dance studios / community choirs / small yoga studios / swim clubs / martial arts clubs / photography clubs / garden groups etc.

All of these groups communicate with paper to each other ALL the time despite the internet and twitter. There are always little paper messages going out about rehearsal changes or repairs to the pool or the latest addition to the pony club. Each of these clubs involves many people right in the community.

Smart agents there would simply pick a few of these clubs and offer to do the photocopying for them. It is an expense which is huge to tiny organisations on a near-zero budget but not huge to a real estate company with the gear in place and tax deductions to take. Of course the RE logo would be discreetly displayed along with some basic info about the agent.

It is a very mutually beneficial win-win arrangement and goes on there much more than here.

I think that agents here are so into the quick listing and sale that they don't take the time to slowly build up community relationships.

Think Kennedy. "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country". Substitute community for country and you have your answer.

I can see how people with 'No Junk Mail' signs could find some real estate flyers frustrating but I think the definition of junk is subjective,

Apparently not Mike, junk mail has a defintion already, ask any company which does mass mail outs.

Sorry to say, but that sounded very trypical real estate agent

also if as you stated before you prefer flyers to door knocking then they should be satisfied with something in their letterbox as a compromise.
Sorry to say, but that sounded very trypical real estate agebt

I dont understand that, bayview said he puts flyers in letterbozes wihtout NO JUNK MAIL only and does not door knock. When I read what you wrote, I think you are saying people should accept more JUNK MAIL if they do not like doorknockers ?

either you were trying to say something else, or again, very typical agent

1. when you're doing opens and get the 'nosy neighbour' attend. offer to take their details and call them when it sells and let them know what it went for. i'd be pretty impressed with that and you'd be my first thought if/when i go to sell.

2. understand you can't drop your sales report to every property. how about dropping it off to nearby properties of ones that are in your report?

Ed Barton, both fantastic ideas. We currently notify all open home attendees of the final sale price (unless a non-disclosure is requested) by sms, we find this works really well & often receive very positive messages back.

I think your second idea is great & something I may impliment!

We've always gone with the ones that support our sport and sponsor the clubs we've been involved with

Mooze, we do sponsor some local clubs etc, but in our area almost every real estate office is doing this with some sort of school, club or organisation.

Giving out logo'd balloons to kiddies)

The Y-man, we actually have these & at certain events such as a local fair we have a booth.

Some shopping centres have display boards in the walkways, I don't mean the free community boards but glassed in professional ones.

Macca, I do like this idea, unfortunately it would be difficult to maintain & update. Also our company looks after a large area of the North Shore but there are no 'main' shopping centres just lots of small ones.

Junk mail to most people means no unaddressed and/or non-Australia Post mail, and often includes local newspapers.

I can tell you that if I have a NO JUNK MAIL sticker on my letterbox, and some agent puts a flyer into it; he'll never sell my house, and I'll never buy one off him.

BayView, I totally understand your view & appreciate the point you make. We do actually use Aus Post to deliver large quantities of our marketing & we also try to make it useful information.

While it is totally your decision on who to use I feel you might end up cutting your nose off to spite your face if you don't even consider an agent who delivered you a flyer, they could be the best in the area!

Go out and get to know everyone of your customers... a store at the local primary school fate... play a part in being involved to some extent.

Remember that every person you speak to has the opportunity to be a potential customer... when a REA rocks up late to a open for inspection in his leased convertable BMW my first reaction is " What a &%$#head"

Jezza, some very good points, we do try to make contacts but unfortunately (& I think there are some good examples on this board) many people just don't want to talk to REA's no matter what the situation!

I completely agree that open homes are our best opportunity to meet locals & impress people. Also I drive a Golf!

Hubby's uncle was the Treasurer for quite a few sporting groups when he lost his job then went into selling real estate on commission.

I think his community involvement allowed him to come into contact with lots of people = networks.

Sheryn, a great suggestion. I'm not sure if I would want the responsibility of looking after a clubs money though! Another vote for more community involvement!

Smart agents there would simply pick a few of these clubs and offer to do the photocopying for them.

Amadio, we currently help out a few organisations. We print the semester calendars for several local schools & also print some flyers for the local scout group.

Perhaps we should approach more businesses & make a quarterly newletters for them all.

Sorry to say, but that sounded very trypical real estate agent.

Jaycee, understood & while I hate being seen as a 'typical real estate agent' there are only so many ways to promote myself & our company (this goes for any real estate agency or local business).

I would love to be in a position where I didn't need to distribute flyers altogether & new business simply rang me directly.

Thank you all for your continued feedback, it is very useful. Interestingly if I was to look at the difference between what has been suggested & the typical real estate strategy of cold calling or door knocking, the latter is a short term strategy (with a rather low success rate) & the former are mostly long term strategies.

Seeing as I am getting some very useful information are there any more tips such as what your local real estate does that you like or dislike?

Michael

Last edited:
For ten years I was the newsletter editor for our Neighbourhood Watch. Our local politician printed them for free with an acknowledgement at the bottom of the page.

We didn't pay hire fees for our meeting venue so didn't need local businesses to advertise in the newsletter. Other local groups did have to pay hall hire fees, and their newsletters carried little adverts interspersed amongst the information in the newsletter. This could be worthwhile investigating.

I used to dislike that some agents would not divulge what something sold for, even after it was unconditional or even after it was settled. I know some vendors want it kept secret, and perhaps agents don't do that these days because it is easily accessible on the net. I like the idea of having an SMS sent to me with the sale price on a house that I have inspected. It also means you get a mobile number, so I hope you don't abuse that :p.

I once gave out a friend's home number at an open house because it was a house belonging to someone I knew, and I didn't want them to know I had been "snooping". I forgot to tell my friend and her husband fielded the call. Too long to go into the word for word here, but it was worthy of a Fawlty Tower episode :D..... agent insisting he had indeed attended an open house, friend's husband insisting he was camping that weekend. Very funny.

Become a regular at your local coffee shop. When working as an agent, i met alot of the community at the coffee shop, just buying a coffee having a chat to the owners and he would introduce me to other customers. Had a few referrals and even a sale out of it :)

Yes there were other agents doing the same thing - but thats okay got to know them too which came in handy from time to time when i needed things.

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum :)

Kudos to you for coming on here and asking for constructive feedback. In an industry that isn't renowned for it's ethics you are indeed brave :D

Try to ignore the constant negativity from a small minority of those here who've had some bad experiences and choose to use these to generalize and insult every REA. However, as I'm sure you can appreciate, public perception of selling agents is justified at times, given the deceptive and misleading practices that some choose to engage in. It can be a very difficult industry in which to remain honest, that's for sure, yet there are some shining examples I know of personally who are wonderful advocates for the RE industry. Let's not also forget those vendors who really don't care what tactics/strategies their agent uses to secure a sale - they can be just as willing a partner in the "games" that are played as well. (think back to the "old" days of dummy bidding)

As for cold-calling, I agree that the success rate is so low as to be non-economical for agencies in this day and age. I thought a great idea by a local agent recently in Northmead was an agency-sponsored suburb "garage sale day". The agency supplied the signs, paid for the advertising and the agent went along to every sale on the day to introduce herself and get to know some of the locals. I know at least one family used the sale to de-junk as they were considering selling and ended up having this particular agent come out for a listing presentation.

Naturally, being a buyers agent, we get to talk to lots of vendors and suggest good selling agents as well as hear about the odd horror story. When we ask why they chose one agency over another, the overwhelming response seems to be that the agent was "well-known" or they had some connection to them, either via a friend selling or a community network eg: kids sports clubs. Reputation is important, not just selling numbers or turnover.

Also agree with the others re: sales results. Boasting (and rightfully so in most cases!) about outstanding results that your agency has achieved should really bring in more business. Though I can see all the results on databases the buying public can't and so I believe it's a useful tool to show potential vendors (and buyers) when scouting for new llstings.

Looking forward to your input, Mike, here at SS and don't work too hard all those Saturdays- you need to have a life!

Ed Barton, both fantastic ideas. We currently notify all open home attendees of the final sale price (unless a non-disclosure is requested) by sms, we find this works really well & often receive very positive messages back.

Mooze, we do sponsor some local clubs etc, but in our area almost every real estate office is doing this with some sort of school, club or organisation.

The Y-man, we actually have these & at certain events such as a local fair we have a booth.

Macca, I do like this idea, unfortunately it would be difficult to maintain & update. Also our company looks after a large area of the North Shore but there are no 'main' shopping centres just lots of small ones.

BayView, I totally understand your view & appreciate the point you make. We do actually use Aus Post to deliver large quantities of our marketing & we also try to make it useful information.

While it is totally your decision on who to use I feel you might end up cutting your nose off to spite your face if you don't even consider an agent who delivered you a flyer, they could be the best in the area!

Jezza, some very good points, we do try to make contacts but unfortunately (& I think there are some good examples on this board) many people just don't want to talk to REA's no matter what the situation!

I completely agree that open homes are our best opportunity to meet locals & impress people. Also I drive a Golf!

Sheryn, a great suggestion. I'm not sure if I would want the responsibility of looking after a clubs money though! Another vote for more community involvement!

Amadio, we currently help out a few organisations. We print the semester calendars for several local schools & also print some flyers for the local scout group.

Perhaps we should approach more businesses & make a quarterly newletters for them all.

Jaycee, understood & while I hate being seen as a 'typical real estate agent' there are only so many ways to promote myself & our company (this goes for any real estate agency or local business).

I would love to be in a position where I didn't need to distribute flyers altogether & new business simply rang me directly.

Thank you all for your continued feedback, it is very useful. Interestingly if I was to look at the difference between what has been suggested & the typical real estate strategy of cold calling or door knocking, the latter is a short term strategy (with a rather low success rate) & the former are mostly long term strategies.

Seeing as I am getting some very useful information are there any more tips such as what your local real estate does that you like or dislike?

Michael

Mike, if you choose to ignore my request to and place junk mial in my letterbox that asks you not to, how much respect does that show for me ?

OTehr buseinsses seem to be able not to breach this and survive, if you insist that you need to sdo this, it maske s me wonder - why ?

Also, if possible, what would be your preferred method of contact & if you have any suggestions as to what kind of information you would like to recieve.

Noone likes doorknockers and cold callers - look how many retail shops and factories have "No Hawker" signs near the door.

And you don't think flyers are a goer, so that only leaves TV, radio, internet, newspapers and magazines.

Maybe a plane with a big banner being towed behind it. :rolleyes:

The newspapers and magazines are an easy one; get the Vendor to pay for your ads.

Oh; I forgot; you already do that.

Or, you could try standing on one of the busier street corners in your area and handing out the flyers, or just introducing yourself and shaking everyone's hand as they pass by. :eek:

I'll guarantee you that the best agent in the area is someone who understands people and would know that flyers in unwanted areas would very quickly ruin their reputation in the area once the bad news was spread - and bad news spreads much faster than good unfortunately.

Hi Jacque, is your post a subtle pitch?

Do you get a kickback (referral fee) for suggesting good agents if the sale goes through? Just curious.

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum :)

Kudos to you for coming on here and asking for constructive feedback. In an industry that isn't renowned for it's ethics you are indeed brave :D

Try to ignore the constant negativity from a small minority of those here who've had some bad experiences and choose to use these to generalize and insult every REA. However, as I'm sure you can appreciate, public perception of selling agents is justified at times, given the deceptive and misleading practices that some choose to engage in. It can be a very difficult industry in which to remain honest, that's for sure, yet there are some shining examples I know of personally who are wonderful advocates for the RE industry. Let's not also forget those vendors who really don't care what tactics/strategies their agent uses to secure a sale - they can be just as willing a partner in the "games" that are played as well. (think back to the "old" days of dummy bidding)

As for cold-calling, I agree that the success rate is so low as to be non-economical for agencies in this day and age. I thought a great idea by a local agent recently in Northmead was an agency-sponsored suburb "garage sale day". The agency supplied the signs, paid for the advertising and the agent went along to every sale on the day to introduce herself and get to know some of the locals. I know at least one family used the sale to de-junk as they were considering selling and ended up having this particular agent come out for a listing presentation.

Naturally, being a buyers agent, we get to talk to lots of vendors and suggest good selling agents as well as hear about the odd horror story. When we ask why they chose one agency over another, the overwhelming response seems to be that the agent was "well-known" or they had some connection to them, either via a friend selling or a community network eg: kids sports clubs. Reputation is important, not just selling numbers or turnover.

Also agree with the others re: sales results. Boasting (and rightfully so in most cases!) about outstanding results that your agency has achieved should really bring in more business. Though I can see all the results on databases the buying public can't and so I believe it's a useful tool to show potential vendors (and buyers) when scouting for new llstings.

Looking forward to your input, Mike, here at SS and don't work too hard all those Saturdays- you need to have a life!

Michael

i know it might not be possible time wise, but a call would be much better than an SMS IMO in converting to a valuation and foot in the door. if i got your SMS and one of your competitors knocked on the door, i'd invite them in for a valuation. on the other hand you might waste a lot of time giving valuations to tyre kickers (however tyre kickers eventually sell, if you're patient enough). i guess it's just time constraints, so the more time you have the more prospecting you can do.

actually, i think i've just talked myself out of a phone call. a call back from a SMS at least qualifies the valuation need, they've put in some effort and least you can be more sure there is a chance of converting a valuation to a listing.

it's such a long term thing you're involved in. say i attend an open home, even if i think you're 'different' to other agents and **** hot at selling it might take me a couple of years to consider selling. people move slowly in property. IMO you've got to put in a lot of effort for little return to start with. door knocking is probably not the best use of your time, you're not selling overpriced vacuum cleaners. time for me to shut up.

Hi Mike,
You will have picked up some good hints from the threads already posted. I have been a sales consultant for 4 years and have done quite okay over that time. I will just put some points that have worked for me.
1. Be yourself. What people see of me is what they get. Being oversmart, a know-all, swarmy goes down like a lead balloon.
2. Enjoy your job. It shows. I take pleasure in the transaction (being able to help) above the money. And in doing so, the money comes along for the ride.
3. Visualise how many people react when the sales pressure is put on them (the hard sell). They generally get out of the store as quickly as possible. I find the Soft Sell works best. I present what stock we have that fits their criteria, I check what the other agents might have but accept that at this point in time, I may not have or able to access what they are after. Leave them with good vibes that you tried hard and they will come back.
4. Two eyes, two ears, one mouth. Take note of facial expressions, mannerisms, interactions, listen very carefully to what your clients are saying, and then provide info that will be of assistance. If the sign on the letterbox says No Junk Mail - it means No Junk Mail fullstop.
5. In your office, if possible place your chair and desk in such a way that you gain first eye contact with everyone who comes in the door. If receptionist or property managers are busy, get up and ask if you can be of assistance within a minute or two. The client then knows that their presence has been acknowledged even if you are not the person they are wanting to see.
6. Respond to emails and missed calls as soon asyou possibly can. If you say that you are going to do something, make sure that you do. We often hear that people are still waiting for the REA to get back to them with info.
7. Do a daily stroll through the shopping centre. Or have that coffee regularly at the local coffee shop. Or offer to collect the mail from the PO. It is amazing how many others are collecting their mail.
8. Tell your friends of your goals and they may be able to help you reach them, by making referrals on your behalf.
9. It seems to me that if you treat all clients in the way that you would like to be treated, their custom comes back time and time again.

Mike, hope these may be of some assistance. All the best for the future.

Frizzle :)

i know it might not be possible time wise, but a call would be much better than an SMS IMO in converting to a valuation and foot in the door.

I did have a little think about whether I would ever ask an agent who knocked on my door inside for an "on the spot" valuation. Answer is a big NO. At least not unless I had just cleaned.

Agents will say "I can see past the mess, or the dirty bathroom", but I know from many years of showing people through IPs for rent (self-managing), that many people simply CANNOT see past these things. I learnt long ago to wait until it is neat and clean because showing a house when it is not is generally a waste of time.

If am always tempted by the "I will be in your neighbourhood on Tuesday between 8am and 5pm" letterbox drops and if I was remotely thinking of selling or wanting to know what my house's current value is, I would go for this, but they would also fall into "junk mail" category, unless they are posted.

We've always gone with the ones that support our sport and sponsor the clubs we've been involved with (mainly cycling and triathlon) - it makes you feel like there's already a connection there (especially one of the agents rides or trains with the group even just occasionally or shows up to the odd race to present a prize or similar) and that you're not as likely to be getting ripped off.

Edit to add - also can do advertising in their newsletters on on the clubs forums.

This is the better method.

Our local estate agents champ at the bit to involved in the P&C's fundraising - hence being given free publicity in our schools newspaper.

Look at ways you can intergrate promotional items into any of their fund raising activities.

I did have a little think about whether I would ever ask an agent who knocked on my door inside for an "on the spot" valuation. Answer is a big NO. At least not unless I had just cleaned.

Agents will say "I can see past the mess, or the dirty bathroom", but I know from many years of showing people through IPs for rent (self-managing), that many people simply CANNOT see past these things. I learnt long ago to wait until it is neat and clean because showing a house when it is not is generally a waste of time.

If am always tempted by the "I will be in your neighbourhood on Tuesday between 8am and 5pm" letterbox drops and if I was remotely thinking of selling or wanting to know what my house's current value is, I would go for this, but they would also fall into "junk mail" category, unless they are posted.

Why would an agent be unable to see past a messay bathroom ?

If they could not, then I would suggest they are no good at their job, but to assume that for any agent who knocks on a door from the outset (?)

Why would an agent be unable to see past a messay bathroom ?

Just something I have found, not just agents either. I have had agents come through a house we are painting, really messy, give me a rental price.

When it is finished, the price they give me, or that I ask and get, is always higher.

I just think many people (including me) cannot get their head past the mess.

I learned long ago to wait until it is finished to advertise it or show it to agents.

Just something I have found, not just agents either. I have had agents come through a house we are painting, really messy, give me a rental price.

When it is finished, the price they give me, or that I ask and get, is always higher.

I just think many people (including me) cannot get their head past the mess.

I learned long ago to wait until it is finished to advertise it or show it to agents.

Fair enough I believe you're right

Hi Jacque, is your post a subtle pitch?

Do you get a kickback (referral fee) for suggesting good agents if the sale goes through? Just curious.

No we don't, though I'm more than happy to assist current clients and family/friends with their choice of agents if we're familiar with the particular suburb/area. As I'm sure you can appreciate, we see the very best (and worst) of agent practice and results and are in a handy position to make recommendations when required.

Be aware, however, that those buyers agents who do collect referral fees from selling agents they recommend (Victoria has the most BA's who operate such vendor advocacy services) such fees/benefits need to be fully disclosed to clients as per Sec 47 of the PSBAA http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/psabaa2002385/s47.html

... I like the idea of having an SMS sent to me with the sale price on a house that I have inspected. It also means you get a mobile number, so I hope you don't abuse that...

Wylie, we only contact people if they either want to buy, so that means calling/emailing regarding new properties we have that may suit them, or if they have previously had an appraisal through our company & are looking to sell in the future.

Become a regular at your local coffee shop. When working as an agent, i met alot of the community at the coffee shop

Alabex, a good point. I am addicted to caffeine & therefore I am friends with our local barista.

As for cold-calling, I agree that the success rate is so low as to be non-economical for agencies in this day and age. I thought a great idea by a local agent recently in Northmead was an agency-sponsored suburb "garage sale day".

When we ask why they chose one agency over another, the overwhelming response seems to be that the agent was "well-known" or they had some connection to them, either via a friend selling or a community network eg: kids sports clubs.

Jacque, thank you for the welcome. I quite like your garage sale day idea!

Also it seems to be a consensus that involvement in local community events greatly increases the chances of being called.

I have decided to show some of the marketing material we produce. I have attached our last quarters sales report, which I believe, home owners would find very useful.

Mike, if you choose to ignore my request to and place junk mial in my letterbox that asks you not to, how much respect does that show for me ?

OTehr buseinsses seem to be able not to breach this and survive, if you insist that you need to sdo this, it maske s me wonder - why ?

Jaycee, sorry it seems we simply have a difference of opinion. As I mentioned before I feel 'junk mail' is subjective & we also use Australia Post to deliver some material.

I personally believe that if you are letting junk mail influence your decision this much then you could end up having to disregard your best local pizza place, handyman, dog walker, politician or many other various businesses/organisations.

Noone likes doorknockers and cold callers - look how many retail shops and factories have "No Hawker" signs near the door.

And you don't think flyers are a goer, so that only leaves TV, radio, internet, newspapers and magazines.

The newspapers and magazines are an easy one; get the Vendor to pay for your ads.

BayView, TV & radio are probably too expensive & not targeted enough for us, we currently use the internet & newspapers.

When we advertise in a newspaper a property ad does have our logo & contact details displayed but the main purpose is to attract buyers to the home. Also we track the success of a newspaper ad & weigh up the cost to benefit ratio, this can sometimes mean we recommend an owner against using print media.

door knocking is probably not the best use of your time, you're not selling overpriced vacuum cleaners. time for me to shut up.

Ed Barton, I thought it was funny the way your post was written, almost like you simply wrote down your thought process. We find sms works very well, it is unintrusive & we do recieve replys/calls back.

**Clip Long List**

Mike, hope these may be of some assistance. All the best for the future

Frizzle, some great tips, fortunately I feel I already follow most of your points.

If am always tempted by the "I will be in your neighbourhood on Tuesday between 8am and 5pm"

Wylie, interesting we actually can look past mess but in another post you mentioned looking past work being conducted. This can be difficult as depending on the type of work it can be tricky to see the quality of the finished product.

I'm surprised you like those particular drops, I would have thought it just meant people knew when to NOT open their doors!

Look at ways you can intergrate promotional items into any of their fund raising activities.

Chilliblue, a great idea. We do some of this at the moment.

No we don't, though I'm more than happy to assist current clients and family/friends with their choice of agents if we're familiar with the particular suburb/area.

We might pass on a nice bottle of wine or champagne to say thank you!

Thank you all again for your comments, I would love to hear some opinions on our sales report.

Michael

Last edited:
Back