Those who ride motorcycles

HK and others, I think you'll find if anyone is ignorant, it is most bike riders. Most have never seen an ex biker living in a nursing home getting around in a wheel chair steered by a mouthpiece, nor witnessed the personality change of a biker who survived leaving the road at speed, but ended up with brain damage while laying in a gulley out of immediate view for several days, nor seen the family of a biker sobbing uncontrollably as they stand round the bed of their husband/father in a hospital ICU wondering how bad his brain is damaged.

Whether they choose to turn a blind eye to this stuff out of fear of realistically evaluating risk, or self inflated belief in their riding skills is your guess. Personally, I have seen enough carefree testosterone bravado profoundly miscalculate the risk/reward calculus of the real world.

But I do ride a bicycle, and am aware I am taking an incredible risk when on the roads. Much of the risk comes from drivers seeking the same adrenalin rush and sense of freedom some guys on motorbikes seek.

It is just a pity a public road is something on which so many choose to get their rocks off....probably because they are unfulfilled or inhibited in some other facet of life they don't have the courage to deal with intelligently.

But each to their own....

I would definitely agree with that statement.

Whenever I go riding, I am usually overtaken by guys on sports bikes who are riding close to the limit. It may be thrilling but it is putting themselves & others at risk. All it takes is a few leaves on the road & you're gone! :eek: Public roads are not a race track, but many young riders ignore that at their perils.

I ride a cruiser. It encourages me to enjoy the scenery rather than go fast.

I am aware that most bike crashes are single riders getting off the road after trying to go too fast. Unfortunately I am also aware of cars who make right turns or change lanes without looking, and bring down a bike.

That is why I posted earlier that you need to increases our skills and your level of awareness when riding a bike.

I wouldn't go a far as discouraging it. I know that when I ride on a country road with little traffic, the risks are mostly coming from my lack of attention or stupidity. Luckily the stupidity has decreased a lot over the years.

By the way I prefer bicycles as well. But I am even more worried when riding a bicycle on a public road because they are so many cars coming past you & it only takes one who doesn't pay attention. I stick to bicycle lanes whenever I can. But that's another topic of discussion anyway...

Thanks for bringing this perspective, it keeps things in balance.

Cheers,

HK and others, I think you'll find if anyone is ignorant, it is most bike riders. Most have never seen an ex biker living in a nursing home getting around in a wheel chair steered by a mouthpiece, nor witnessed the personality change of a biker who survived leaving the road at speed, but ended up with brain damage while laying in a gulley out of immediate view for several days, nor seen the family of a biker sobbing uncontrollably as they stand round the bed of their husband/father in a hospital ICU wondering how bad his brain is damaged.

Whether they choose to turn a blind eye to this stuff out of fear of realistically evaluating risk, or self inflated belief in their riding skills is your guess. Personally, I have seen enough carefree testosterone bravado profoundly miscalculate the risk/reward calculus of the real world.

But I do ride a bicycle, and am aware I am taking an incredible risk when on the roads. Much of the risk comes from drivers seeking the same adrenalin rush and sense of freedom some guys on motorbikes seek.

It is just a pity a public road is something on which so many choose to get their rocks off....probably because they are unfulfilled or inhibited in some other facet of life they don't have the courage to deal with intelligently.

But each to their own....

Winston, i guess you qualified your statement with 'most bike riders'... In a past life i worked as an RN in A&E and have nursed my fair share of riders and dealt with sobbing relatives. Over the years i have had 2 mates die in bike accidents (cager 1 runs red light, cager 2 turns right in front of him) and one close mate who now has frontal lobe damage and gets around in a wheelchair (cager turns right in front of him).

I've also had moments in my life where time has slowed down and i thought i was going to die or at least be very seriously injured. Thankfully i have somehow managed to do the right thing at the right time and come out relatively unscathed. I'd like to think it's due to experience but maybe it was something else as well. I never become complacent on the road and consciously practise my road craft every time i go for a ride even though i've been riding for 22 years since i got my first bike (XR80) at the age of 14. I've been riding on the roads since the day i turned 18 and i got my bike licence before my car licence because it was cheaper to buy and run a bike than a car.

I don't turn a blind eye to the dangers of riding and know that the chances of me being seriously hurt or dieing on the roads are statistically very high. Maybe i should give it a rest as it has cost me a lot over the years in fines and suspensions but i just can't stop. Whenever i lose my licence for 2 mths or more i go o'seas, usually to Thailand because i can ride bikes over there and the women are beautiful :) I don't stay in Oz because i can't work without my licence.

I agree that public roads are not the best places to play and i too sometimes shake my head at some of the guys i see racing around on the roads. We have had a lot of recent media attention on the gold coast re bike rider deaths because we have lost so many of them :( The state govt is changing the law next year to prevent young blokes buying sportsbikes they can't control. The plods also have a crackdown every so often although you do get a heads up on the forums and ride accordingly or avoid the hot spots. I am hoping to do more track days in the new year so i can get it out of my system and ride as fast as i want without worrying about speeding fines and cagers not seeing me.

Maybe i should stop, and one day i may... but hopefully it will be from my own choice for whatever reason.

PS: the guy in the opening of this clip is someone that i don't want near me on the roads :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoe0OyPez_s

Scary video that one.

Unfortunately it reinforces the perception among many non riders that most bike riders are just a bunch of idiots taking unnecessary risks.

Cheers,

I ride as does my partner. We both have sports bikes. I ride an Aprilia 125cc and he rides a yamaha r1 which is 1000cc.

It's the car drivers who drive dazed that are the problem. I enjoy riding but to be honest I prefer being a pillion on my partners bike. He has been riding for 14 years. He doesn't do anything silly as he runs a trade business and needs to be able to drive.

If I was to tell my partner that he can't ride, I will have no doubt that he will end our relationship.

We have a retro look bike - a Kawasaki W650, which is great. It requires a lot less maintenance and tinkering than the old, but cool Honda 4's we've had in the past.

my old 500/4

000_0059.jpg

this is the same as our Kwaka

03every20W650.jpg

We have a retro look bike - a Kawasaki W650, which is great. It requires a lot less maintenance and tinkering than the old, but cool Honda 4's we've had in the past.

my old 500/4

000_0059.jpg

this is the same as our Kwaka

03every20W650.jpg

The Kawa 650 looks great. With high handlebars, it would be very comfortable to ride. I like it.

I think it might be OK as a startup for somebody who just go their license.

Cheers,

am 45 still riding, bike of choice is 85 Harley lowrider, triumph have done great job reinventing the marquee, suggest you look at American or its twin, cant quite think of its name at moment. All Triumphs seem to be good value for money, some good 2nd hand ones around also. Have fun and stay upright if tou go ahead with it

Old topic I know but hey its new to me seeing as I have been off this site for ages.

I see many here saying how dangerous bikes are, yes you are 100% correct and many riders should heed that and stay home.

Then there are us old crusty riders who just love the road, to those I say a hearty G'day to.

My stuff is here Linky

Back