thought some folk might like to see what i'm up to.

Looking forward to seeing the materials, Aaron. I'm in the process of designing a new home - to replace the flooded one - and aim to have a home which uses zero brick, no roof tiles, only some interior gyprock, and no cornices or skirting boards. :cool:

Looking forward to seeing the materials, Aaron. I'm in the process of designing a new home - to replace the flooded one - and aim to have a home which uses zero brick, no roof tiles, only some interior gyprock, and no cornices or skirting boards. :cool:

Sounds like your insurer has decided your house is too damaged to fix?

A friend of ours (architect) built his first house with hubby as the labourer. Lots of funny stories, but that is another story...

One idea I LOVED at the time, and have wanted to use one day is that he had no cornice or dust gathering skirting boards.

What he did instead was build out the walls by an inch or so and run the plaster down and finish the bottom with a neat corner edge. The last five inches or so (high enough to fit a broom without damaging the nice horizontal edge) was then stepped back to the original wall studs and formed a "shadow line".

Best way to explain is that it ended up looking like a kitchen kick-board. In the daytime, but particularly at night it was pretty impressive, just a sharp shadow line and no dust ;).

At the time we were in a Californian bungalow and thought his ultra-modern glass and panel house was nice, but not our thing. I have never forgotten his wall treatment and after 30 years of having to dust skirting boards, it is something I plan on doing if we ever move house or build.

Back