Thoughts

I don't know the northside much, but just looking at the links, knowing nothing more about them, I'd go with the one that has its own land (and no body corporate issues).

No mention on strata on the 1st one and this why:

and exciting amenities for health and fitness including a saltwater in-ground pool and tennis court.

2nd one over priced imo.

3rd one,land component is zilch.

That said though i'm not up to date on brissy...

Not overly familiar with that far north side

Your a brisbanite,you should know and or check comparables.

Distance wise it doesn't sound bad but horses for courses.

I'm sure someone else will be along with more insight.

I don't know the northside much, but just looking at the links, knowing nothing more about them, I'd go with the one that has its own land (and no body corporate issues).

Sound advice, ran the numbers on a few of them and body corp is a killer, also rates seem to be higher in this area.
Maybe its time for JV.

If I have to choose any, I'll go for option 3 for land, renovation potential and close access to the airport and CBD.

If looking for units, there are much better options available closer to the city with decent yield and good CG potential.

Just picked a bunch of random ones, wanted to see what people thought.
When I say " know the area" I mean know it intimately like council plans for next 10 years etc, I've yet to decided on an area, other suburbs I invest in are closer to CBD.

Says who?

:D

Ha ha wylie,

My thinking anyhow was if you live in briz,you'd know the subs etc.

Being originally from syd n moved to melb,i do know what is north/south/east/west etc.

I suppose briz is a different kettle of fish seeing the dirt could fit in syd/melb/canber n taz.

LOL... that is the wrong side of the river for me.

I'm interested in your comment that the land component for the third one is "zilch". It is 16 perches, which is not big enough to develop (generally) but plenty of old suburbs have 16 perch blocks. My first house was on 16 perches and I had a good sized yard for kids to play (if I had any at that stage).

They seem to be able to build on 8 perches these days in some areas (and even less in other areas that I've seen).

Anyway, to the poster, come over to the right side of town and take a look around. (But those prices you've listed are cheap!)

Thanks Wylie
Which suburbs would these be?

My stamping ground is Coorparoo, Camp Hill, Greenslopes but we look after other property in Balmoral, Annerley, so I know a little about those suburbs. I cannot imagine finding anything around $300K in any of those areas except a unit, and I avoid body corporate properties.

Hi wylie,

I'm happily to be corrected wrong and i've learn't a new saying 'perches'...?

Thankyou :)

My default is perches, but I have learned to work in square metres. If you have a 900 square metre block, multiply it by (roughly) four and you get the perches, i.e. 36 perches. Anybody under the age of 50 probably uses square metres. I'm just showing my age :p

I have been through the first one....townhouses in the area are what I am looking closely at at the moment as I can't afford a house but would prefer to stick with a familiar area and closer to the city for this purchase. The first one has been on the market a while, went to Auction first. Think the second one has been on a while too.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Handford Rd strip - there are a whole lot of large complexes in a row, and something is always for sale. They do seem to rent ok without too many vacancies though. Bus outside to city, new Coles and few local shops just went in up the road from it and a few bus stops from Chermside. A local agent told me that often they go off the market rather than getting sold. I have considered this first one, at least it has a bit of land component and it is nice inside with nothing to do (except for the weird conversion from the standard 3 bed to 2 - there is a window behind the bunk bed and it is cracking where they've put the wall up to cover it). It would have to be a good price to factor in the possibility of having difficulty selling it later on in my book.

Pretoria St I didn't look at - the street is terrible, lots of units, no parking at all even on the street in a dead end with one way in and out and can be busy/hard to get out at times. Right next to station though so good for transport, and the local shops have everything you need there.

The house and land definitely seems cheap for northside - closer to city than areas I've looked at (Zillmere/Boondall/Taigum/Bracken Ridge), and I haven't seen a house for less than high 300k's recently. Close to airport and station, not much else down that way. Pretty old and a lot of industrial around the area, not sure where nearest shops, etc would be.

Thanks Wylie, Partner works at Greenslopes Hospital and have worked at camp hill before, so know the area, indeed it is out of our range at the moment :(
Pipsal, we're likely to run into each other soon if your looking in the same area, say hi if you see me :)

Back