Tile grout pen / paint.

I recently renovated my bathroom using rectified tiles. Being conscious of the extra effort required to get sufficient grout into the narrow spacing between tiles so that I didn't merely bridge the gap and have it fall out later as seen sometimes - even in shop displays, I worked the grout into the joint well. The only problem was that using a black rubber grout applicator the sharp rectified edges of the tile wore minute particles of rubber off the applicator and discoloured the grout slightly. Where this was obvious as I grouted I removed the contaminated grout and re-did. After everything dried I noticed there were a few areas of very light discolouration - the colour of damp grout. Today I finally got around to trying to scrape out enough to reapply a thin top layer of new grout, however much harder than expected. I can persevere (about 2m), but time consuming as I have to be careful not to damage the edge of the tile, particularly at corners, or veer off the grout onto the tile and leave a metallic scratch - which has happened already. A bamboo skewer juts doesn't cut it!

I was thinking that a grout pen may be an easier solution but as I have never used one I have no idea of the end look - may look artificial or more noticeably that the current look.

Is a white grout pen a good match for ultra white grout? How will it look on a wall with unpainted grout?

Will it be the pen or hard labour ;)

Hi there.

I had a kitchen with plain white tiles and brown disgusting grout

I bought a few grout pens from Bunnings and applied them straight over the foul grout. The white matches the white tiles and becomes invisible. The lines don't stand out, AND my grout lines are fairly wide also. It takes a few coats to get to white, but it was the best $20 I have spent in there.

Give it a go on a small section, but I like the pens :)

the pens have a place but with the amount of care and effort you have put in so far I think you will be dissapointed. Yes they hide hideous stains etc but the gloss level of the grout changes to a satin finish (its like using a fine brush of oil based paint on top of grout) which is noticable if you have nice tiles and high expectations and expect the grout to be pure white and flat flat gloss level(i do).

The solution may be a better quality foam float to work the grout in. You can also just use a good quality pair of gloves (ones that wont fall apart as you are working) and work it in with your fingers.

It sounds like you are most of the way there, grout pen may be a corner cut you regret in this instance....

Thanks for that. I might try a pen and a light coat over the top because the shading difference is only minor and it only needs a slight wisp of correction. I did have one of those yellow grout trowels but as it was old the yellow was coming off in the grout - so I showed it the window!! I could see some of the black coming off the new rubber one I bought but as I had not noticed any clear or white ones in any shops I persevered. Next time I will make my own if working with rectified wall tiles spaced only 1.5mm. Floor tiles would be less of a concern as not using ultra white and the edges usually have a slight ground chamfer.

Just an update for those interested.

As it appears from other peoples comments that the tile grout pens are basically just paint I thought I would try some ceiling paint on the grout - after all it is flat and mould resistant. The small area in question would rarely be exposed to moisture.

I put a bit in a jar lid with a few drops of water so that it was not too thick - did not want to change the appearance of the grout much, used a small craft type brush and applied a couple of times as needed to give uniform look. Wiped the excess of the tiles with a rag once it had dried a bit - comes off tiles easier than grout. (Can also use a nylon scourer pad wiping across the joint to remove the excess paint off the tiles like when grouting)

Brilliant result! You would have too look extremely close to see that it was paint, and may not realise even then unless told.

Last edited:
Back