I can't paint floor tiles or non-ceramic bowls? (and other problems)

I have checked out the White Knight range and was told by a stockist that I can't paint ceramic floor tiles or non-ceramics basins (I have one with the rather see through plasticy look)?

Does anyone know a way around this?

Also I have a split ac unit on a wall that I wish to use as a feature wall - I was told by the same stockists that if I prepare the units surface properly that one of the White Knight products could be used. But I'm concerned at what heat might do to it and also about paint going into the unit - any thoughts?

Lastly I White Knighted my own kitchen tiles a while back - but A) up close I can see the paint brush marks (use a mohair roller perhaps?) and B) as they were done in white the grout which was painted at the same time has the "painted look" - the stockist told me there is nothing to do. She advised that as the grout pen paint only comes in white its best to have your tiles painted in a non-white colour.

Any ideas greatly appreciated as I have three houses to do.

Can anyone comment on the wear and tear in the tubs and basins in a rental.

Regards and thanks as always.

Keen

Hi, I've had the plastic bowl problem before and wasn't game to try paint. If it's a hand basin, try Bunnings they sell a very basic vanity unit for about $150 (or they did about a year ago). If it's a laundry basin, try the op shops, you might even find a porceline hand basin if you're lucky. I paid $50 for a stainless steel laundry tub on a steel base from Vinnies last year. Alternatively you could always try paint and see how it lasts, just be ready for the RE agent phoning with a complaint.

As for floor tiles try ESP - easy surface prep, made with penetrol. It says on the back that it is suitable for ceramic tiles. 500ml is about $20 but will bond the surface of 4l of paint. Good Luck.
fish

Keen, the plastic hand basin is very easy replaced with a brand new one for about $30. you will need to break the silicon seal around the outer edge of the basin remove the taps[turn water off at main] cut the pvc drain pipe.Remember to leave enough to rejoin with pvc joiners.If for some reason you have to cut the water pipe you can buy screw on hose bits[specially made for this] for about $11 each.No plumber needed.
Its really easy to do and a much better job than trying to paint plastic
good luck yadreamin

ps. 3 houses ?where did you pick those up? are you going to reno and sell or hold?

Ah forgot a bit.
The air con you are thinking of painting is it a bad colour or something cos if its a white one l would just leave it.There like dunnies everyone has one:D But if you really want to paint it see if you can remove the front panel, get a small tin of ESP and thoroughly rub down the surface.[follow the directions on the tin]then you can paint over the panel in what ever pretty colour you like.if the panel has lots of little crevuses that you cannot get to with a paint brush you will end up making the aircon stick out like a dunnie door on your feature wall.Think carefully before you begin.
cheers yadreamin

Thanks for the replies.

yadreamin,
its a hand (bathroom vanity) basin - I'll check out replacing it. Initially thought it could be a fiddly job that ends up getting stuffed up. However after reading you post I'll give it a whirl. :)

In regards to the ac - I have a fire place on the same wall which I wanted to turn into a feature wall, but have a white ac thats going to stand out. Thought if I could paint it the same colour as the wall I might get away with it. I might be dicing with trouble here, but if a can do the feature wall then its really going to have that WOW factor.

The three houses are my PPOR, 1st IP (purchased 2003 and perhaps selling to wipe out PPOR debt) and my 3rd IP (1969 built house needing a modern colour scheme). All need bathroom work. 2nd IP is new so no work required there;)
IP's are in Merriwa, Bunbury and Rockingham.

Fish74 I'll check out the ESP for bathroom floor tiles.

Thanks

Keen

Keen l just remembered some thing else. Sometimes the basin has small metal clips clamping it to the vanity. You can see these from underneath.They are easy to remove. Dont try and pull the basin out before the clips are removed!!!
cheers yadreamin

I guess painting these things is the first thought and it sounds easy but they are not all that costly or difficult to replace these days. Even if you buy new there are inexpensive and good quality items available. When talking about property investments worth hundreds of thousands it really might be wise to spend a bit and get long term, quality results!

Dags, personally l would not attempt to paint a plastic bath.
There is a product available that is a bit like a cut and polish that will bring the bath up sparkling and like new.If you go to a bath room shop they should have it, sorry l cannot remember the name of the product.
If the bath is in good nic then this maybe the better option also replacing the silicon seal around the bath makes a big difference to the look.
cheers yadreamin

yadreamin said:
Keen, the plastic hand basin is very easy replaced with a brand new one for about $30. you will need to break the silicon seal around the outer edge of the basin remove the taps[turn water off at main] cut the pvc drain pipe.Remember to leave enough to rejoin with pvc joiners.If for some reason you have to cut the water pipe you can buy screw on hose bits[specially made for this] for about $11 each.No plumber needed.
Wrong. legally you need a plumber to install it. Not sure, but think insurance company would bawk at paying out for water damage if they found out a none licenced person did the work.

Back