Tiling grout questions

So I'm a self taught jack of all trades and one of them is tiling,

Never been taught by a professional I have a question about grout

As you are grouting, I use the sponge to wipe it down to smooth it out

However, every single time, unless I actually change the water every two minutes, the reisdue left over I have to get on my knees with a scraper and/or sandpaper sponge to get rid of the grout at the edge of every tile,

This process can take from half a day to a full day depending on how much residue is left over,

Admittedly, when the gap at the edge of wall is larger, I put extra grout in so it sinks in, but when it dries, I need to use a scraper at full strength to straighten it out

This process is further harder if I am tiling over an uneven floor, when the corners of the tiles,I need to scrape away fairly large chunks of grout, which is a fairly intensive process

what type of grout are you using ???

There is grout and there is grout.

I don't like the multipurpose grout where it's used to glue the tiles and grout as well, seems very messy and hard to get a good finish.

what type of grout are you using ???

There is grout and there is grout.

I don't like the multipurpose grout where it's used to glue the tiles and grout as well, seems very messy and hard to get a good finish.

Just the standard bunnings one

15kg paper bags or the 1kg odd plastic reddish coloured bag

Use Kemgrout.

2 water buckets; first one with sponge for bagging off, second for final wiping diagnally.

When final wipe bucket becomes too cloudy, make it the bagging off bucket, clean out first bucket and add fresh water to make the final wipe bucket.

Rinse and repeat (pun intended of course :cool: )

Having trouble with stuck grout? Small rag in a 50:50 mix of water:vinegar (testing in an obscure place first recommended).

pinkboy

Grouting its like concrete ( cement sand minus irrigate ) mix to a toothpaste consistency. Apply in a manner that will allow the grout to fill gaps and penetrate beneath the tile edges and into the corner junctions. Allow time for the grout to ferm up, so that it is possible to sponge of in such a away, that you can control the amount of grout removed. You can know have grout gaps recessed or filed to the desired finish as required.

Gerd

hi Pinkboy, where could I buy the kemgrout from?
Thanks

Use Kemgrout.

2 water buckets; first one with sponge for bagging off, second for final wiping diagnally.

When final wipe bucket becomes too cloudy, make it the bagging off bucket, clean out first bucket and add fresh water to make the final wipe bucket.

Rinse and repeat (pun intended of course :cool: )

Having trouble with stuck grout? Small rag in a 50:50 mix of water:vinegar (testing in an obscure place first recommended).

pinkboy

Haven't tiled for a while, but one of your problems is the uneven tiles.

If they sit up 'proud', they will always catch some extra grout.

I do pretty well as Pinkboy says, but without the Kemgrout and with another step.

About 15 - 20 minutes after applying the grout, I go back and do another wipe down.

The grout is then reasonably dry, but you can still wipe off any excess bits. If there are sections that are overfilled, it is soft enough to just use your fingernail or a plastic tool to remove, without having to resort to a lot of pressure.

Back