Tile roof to tin.

Hi folks

After some opinions.
Currently settling on an IP in Orange, NSW.

The rear of the house is an extension with a tin roof, while the original part of the house has a tile roof.
My questions are;
1.Will changing the tiles to tin affect the value in a negative way, even though the house will look better overall (imo)?
2.Can i just rip the tiles off and screw the tin to the battons the tiles were on?
3.Is it worth it?
4.Would i need council approval?

I'll also render the place, and do a bit of lanscaping. (Minor work inside also) Plan on spending around 10k. I do all my own work (apart from rendering - i know a guy...)

All opinions welcome!

Attachments

• markham.jpg
    markham.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 140
1.Will changing the tiles to tin affect the value in a negative way, even though the house will look better overall (imo)?
2.Can i just rip the tiles off and screw the tin to the battons the tiles were on?
3.Is it worth it?
4.Would i need council approval?
1 - I don't think so, although tiles offer better noise insulation. You'll definitely notice your first heavy rainy night.
2 - That should be fine as battens for tiles are at every tile location, whereas corro iron is at 900mm centres typically. Just make sure they're 70mm x 35mm minimum, preferably hardwood, & screwed, not nailed.
3 - No, provided the battens are ok.

Note - Changing tile to sheeting in a cyclonic area (not Orange) requires upgrading the hold down details down to the footings, which needs engineering and council approval.

Iron rooves are much better IMO and less likely to leak. It's not a matter of which roof type but wether the colours, etc match up. If your house is gonna be the only iron clad house in a street full of new, modern looking tiled houses then It might have a negative affect on the price.
1 - I don't think so, although tiles offer better noise insulation. You'll definitely notice your first heavy rainy night.

I've lived in three houses
  1. House had iron roof and you noticed the rain, but I grew up that way and it didn't bother me too much.
  2. House had tile roof and couldn't hear the rain.
  3. Current house has iron roof and ceiling bats. You can hear the rain but at least you can still hear the TV when it is pouring!

So ceiling bats will cut the noise down.

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend anything changing from tiles to tin. The photo looks fine and I imagine the change in roofing is only noticeable from the rear?

Of course, if the tiles are in bad condition or leaking, you could check the cost of fixing as opposed to the cost of changing.

Other comments are valid too. What are the surrounding roof materials? Will changing to tin add or take away value? Will you recoup the cost?

I'd leave it as is.

Tile to tin

It will survive a hail storm much better and if you're in a bushfire prone area, it will prevent your house burning down from ember attack in the roof space (tiles lift in bushfires from the fire-generated winds and embers easily get into roof spaces and burn houses down.

a house in my street recently changed its roof to tin from tiles it looks great and really stands out from the houses around it, no idea what this costs though and it was part of a complete renovation of the building

Good luck changing the whole roof, rendering, plus painting the whole house under 10k.

Just to buy the colourbond will cost you over 6k and reading your post and asking about the battens i can see that you never did this before.

Good luck.

If your house is gonna be the only iron clad house in a street full of new, modern looking tiled houses then It might have a negative affect on the price.

The rest of the street, are that older red-brick style with tiles like mine - a couple have been rendered as there seems to be a fair bit of reno-ing going on in the area. None are iron roofed though.
Nothing better than the sound of rain on a tin roof - but that's just me, so some form of sound deadening will have to be used.

The photo looks fine and I imagine the change in roofing is only noticeable from the rear?
True - and there are no leaks.

it will prevent your house burning down from ember attack in the roof space (tiles lift in bushfires from the fire-generated winds and embers easily get into roof spaces and burn houses down.

No bushfires in Orange!

Good luck changing the whole roof, rendering, plus painting the whole house under 10k.

Just to buy the colourbond will cost you over 6k and reading your post and asking about the battens i can see that you never did this before.

Good luck.

I have replaced a tin roof, and i have replaced a tile roof, so i'd imagine there is not too much difficulty combining the two!

The paint will cost me 1k (materials) + 1 carton (if i decide to outsource), the render will be material cost plus 1 carton.
....i imagine 10k is an over-estimation!

Thanks for the responses!

I know the property and congrats on buying it.

Personally I would not bother on doing anything at the moment. Rental market is still tight and the roof would not be a deterrant.

I know the property and congrats on buying it.

Personally I would not bother on doing anything at the moment. Rental market is still tight and the roof would not be a deterrant.

Hi Chilliblue

Thanks!

I need to do the work to it, as this will give me the equity i need for the next place. May leave the roof though, because it probably will not add that much, i suppose. Maybe when i sell it.

About the only thi9ng I'd be painting right now is that garage door....!;)

The tile roof is fine (relative to the house that is). Even a change of colour after you have rendered...mix n match then, don't react too early...let it sit for a few years tenanted and you will calm down for sure and things will come in to perspective.

How much extra equity are you looking for.... as right now banks are being hard on vals...?

Good luck anyway.

How much extra equity are you looking for.... as right now banks are being hard on vals...?

Good luck anyway.

They sure are hard on vals atm, but credit seems pretty easy to come by! This place is being financed by leaving only 5% in another place i own. If i can add 20k equity, that should be enough for the next place. (fingers crossed for more)

Back