tiling over existing tiles qs?

just have a few questions please, im considering tiling over existing tiles to save costs for asub 150k ip

a few questions i have are:

1. What do you do if the floor isnt completley flat
2. If it is flat, is it a simple case of putting extra glue and tiling over
3. What do you for the end of the room which is now probably 1 inch higher then the next room
4. What do you do at the edge of the room if there are tiles on the wall, as in do you put grout in?

Thanks everyone

Just did this to a new place recently.

1) You can use a self levelling compound, I'd recommend you buy pre-mixed if you can, i think Dunlop make some.
2) You'll need a specific primer to paint on over existing tiles, this allows adhesion. (I dont have the name of it here)
3) You shoule be able to find a piece of metal to help this transition, bunnings or a good tiling shop will have them.
4) Yeh, grout tile to tile.

Head to a good tile shop, they will be able to provide you with advice and the products best suited. Make sure you ask them for the correct primer and you may need specific tile adhesive too.

thanks eveyrone

just another basic question for wall tiling a corner

do you need some sort of brace to tile into a corner,

also what do you do if the wall isnt completely straight and the corner has a big gap of up 1cm?
I mean filling it with grout will make it look pretty silly

thanks eveyrone

just another basic question for wall tiling a corner

do you need some sort of brace to tile into a corner,

also what do you do if the wall isnt completely straight and the corner has a big gap of up 1cm?
I mean filling it with grout will make it look pretty silly

You need to make sure you are tiling horizontal level up the wall. This will ensure your tiles will all lay properly up the wall. This may also create a slight rake tile on the internal corner, which you 'cut in'. This is usually only slight, if at all depending on the previous trades levels with the walls. If you start tiling from the corner at the bottom and work your way outwards, you are bound to run into problems with your tile gaps either opening up (as you say), or less commonly closing up where the tiles start to touch.

pinkboy

Back