Time to take a step back.

This is something i want to share with everyone.

Many people here myself included are easily caught up in this investing game.Your reasons may be wealth,retirement or just plain fun but i think its important to remember all other things in life. Im not getting all new age and hippy on you i just had an event that makes you rethink things.

A close friend just lost his battle with cancer. It was not a nice ending also with the cancer taking nearly all the traights that him who he was.And you know what. Speaking to him just before he moved on you know what he said he will miss. The smell of flowers,wind,sun,laughing,smell of food cooking things like this but most of all he wishes that all the time he spent worrying over things outside his control was better spent with friends and family instead. His eyes showed this to be a large regret in his life.He died with much money in the bank but a partially waisted life due to it.

Now to me this does not mean throw everything out the window and just hang with your family. Afterall many are doing this to provide a better life for their family. But i just think of the many hours i spend sometimes on the net or studying property all the while my wife sits alone on the lounge ???.

Sometimes i will be at a friends house and while everyone is having fun im sitting there all quiet crunching numbers in my head for a property i read in a paper two days earlier.

Anyway im rambling my point is keep balance in your life,enjoy what your doing whatever it is and remember you are dead a long time show enjoy yourself along the way.

So sorry to hear of your loss Devo, an event like that certainly makes you stop and smell the roses. I feel quite shocked and can't think of much else to say just at the moment except thinking about you and how you are feeling right now.

So sorry to hear of your loss Devo, an event like that certainly makes you stop and smell the roses. I feel quite shocked and can't think of much else to say just at the moment except thinking about you and how you are feeling right now.

Thankyou sparky and i really am fine about it. I hope i dont come across as wanting to have a sook to you all. As a matter of fact it has been a bad year with a couple of road accidents taking friends also but hey life goes on right.
I guess i just look at myself sometimes.And i often get so caught up in things using up all the spare time i have and tend to neglect what is important. Dont get me wrong i love this stuff and im in it for the long haul. Just trying to point out that a balance is often needed and dont let say a missed property deal eat away at your quality of life. Hope that makes sense. Im sure there are many that do the same thing.

Yep, me too - sorry for your loss devo.

These times are turning points (or at least stopping on the road of life points) to consider what is really important and what has eternal value rather than temporal.

It is just sooooo hackneyed and trite by now, but it really is the journey, not the destination.

It's hard to lose a mate Devo (my condolences are genuine.) but it is a waste not to take a little from his passing. Accept your new insight as a gift from him and don't waste it.

But i just think of the many hours i spend sometimes on the net or studying property all the while my wife sits alone on the lounge ???.

Sometimes i will be at a friends house and while everyone is having fun im sitting there all quiet crunching numbers in my head for a property i read in a paper two days earlier.
Sorry to hear your loss. It reminds everyone on this forum that it's okay to build wealth, but don't neglect other treasures in life, such as watching your kids grow up, spending time with family and friends. I was having my day job and at nights and weekends getting another qualification and doing all these property investing. Went to NZ three times in a year so I had not a holiday with my kids that year at all. Last year found I have a health issue, so we made the decision to quit my day job, move to sunny Brissy, and trying to smell the roses from now on. When I get around to do it, may be add one or two IPs.

Sorry to hear your loss. It reminds everyone on this forum that it's okay to build wealth, but don't neglect other treasures in life, such as watching your kids grow up, spending time with family and friends. I was having my day job and at nights and weekends getting another qualification and doing all these property investing. Went to NZ three times in a year so I had not a holiday with my kids that year at all. Last year found I have a health issue, so we made the decision to quit my day job, move to sunny Brissy, and trying to smell the roses from now on. When I get around to do it, may be add one or two IPs.

My point exactly. Cheers everyone.As mentioned i hope people take a bit from his passing like i have.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and I want to thank you for your post. We get so busy with our lives we need reminding occasionally about what is most important. You have caused me to reflect about my own life and how I use my time. This coming Easter weekend I will use my time wisely and spend more time with my family and friends.

I am sorry to read about your friend's death.

One of the best pieces of advice I have ever received was given inadvertently. A wealthy friend remarked "once you have enough money, anything more is just that - more money".

May you all have enough.
Marg

My thoughts are with you .

The death of anyone always makes us realise how short life really is :eek:

I have been close to passing on a number of times.
Seen so many at hospital that have died in beds beside me :(.

A kidney transplant saved me and has given me 13 extra yrs so far.:D

i love making money but i believe in enjoying it along the way.

No good owning the whole town if too sick to enjoy it.

I am Doing stuff NOW. With my kids.

After years of being sick I appreciate my health. But know how fickle it can be.

And you never know when number will come up.

Gee Cee

the older we get the more deaths we will witness. I'm really sorry about your friend. Death is inevitable so we have to learn/know what's important to us and make the most of it. Kind of like the chick flick I watched last night 'If Only' starring Paul Nicholls and Jennifer Love Hewitt, bawled my eyes out.

Can't wait till they find a cure cancer. I know so many people stricken with this disease. It's just awful and so much pain and suffering.

Property is my job and I keep it separate to my family life. I would rather talk about other things than property and when I want to talk/read about property I come to SS. But I also frequent other forums i.e baby, social etc

Gee Cee - You will have many more yrs to come. My mum is a kidney donor. She's so wonderful that she didn't even think twice about it.

I always had this thing about dying young, I don't know why...crazy but the good thing is that because of this insecurity, I have always lived my life to the fullest.

Back