Tips on finding a cleaner in Melbourne

Hey guys,

I need a cleaner for my apartment - just 2 hours a fortnight.

So basically I can pay around $28+ an hour for a cleaner from an agency. This is about as cheap as they get, obviously some are much more. Benefits are they are supposedly police checked, referenced checked and I can easily give one the boot and get a new one from the same agency if I don't like them.

Or...

I can go on Gumtree. Obviously independent, cheaper - $15-20 per hour.

Could anyone share any tips on how would I go about making sure this person is safe to leave in my house alone and good at cleaning? I don't even know what a police check looks like.

Any experiences welcome.

I have found one girl who claims to have worked for an agency for a year with plenty of references and a police check. I've contacted her.

Regards,

David.

Our family use to use an agency i think (large house with 4 adults 1 child). Was pretty good, i think their was one occasion when some jewerally went missing. I would suggest getting a safe and putting small valuables in their. Make it one of the heavier types, so its hard to move (for a lady).

28 P/H is pretty good i reakon. When i retire definatly getting one of those ;D

Maybe look @ someone who is running a small business (not just random posting on gumtree) or franchised like Jims cleaning.

With the agency, at least its a higher chance of the person showing up to do the work

Let us know how it goes

Where is the apartment?

I know a fabulous private cleaner that lives in Mornington, not sure how far she covers but she comes to do our place in Berwick for pre-sales inspections.

She's a wicked hard worker, extremely honest and reliable and does a cracking job. From memory, I think she charges $24 per hour.

PM me if you are interested and I'll forward her number.

I know an awful lot of people that use, or have used her, and hear nothing but praise.

Last edited:
With the agency, at least its a higher chance of the person showing up to do the works

Right you are! One cancellation already.

We were supposed to meet at 3pm.

2:45pm I get a text - Hi David I will see you soon.
3:15pm Another - Sorry David I can't make it. Very sorry.

Just found my best mate has a husband and wife team, small business, brings all their own products and gear (I don't have a mop or vac) and charge $60 (soon will be $65) for two hours.

I know his wife is very fussy and she's happy with them, so I think that'll be the way to go (thanks Riding-High).

OK so that's $20-25 extra per clean but I don't have to buy a vac, mop or any cleaning products, plus I know they will come on time, I won't have to spell out everything they need to do and I can trust them in my home with their own key.

Costs extra but it's extra service, plus I'm supporting a legally working taxpaying business not someone on a student visa.

Where is the apartment?

I know a fabulous private cleaner that lives in Mornington, not sure how far she covers but she comes to do our place in Berwick for pre-sales inspections.

She's a wicked hard worker, extremely honest and reliable and does a cracking job. From memory, I think she charges $24 per hour.

PM me if you are interested and I'll forward her number.

I know an awful lot of people that use, or have used her, and hear nothing but praise.

I'm in North Melb. Might be a little far for her just for the two hours a fortnight.

Thanks very much for the tip, I think word of mouth is best way to go with cleaners.

I reakon it would be a good setup if you can just give em the keys and say "yeah clean it at this time each week" this time being a time when u know u will always be out (eg. If you do shopping @ a regular time each week, or you are at work).

We have a bloke who does the lawns here, he has the keys for the gate and just takes it upon himself to open it and start working which is good. No getting sleep interupted to answer door or chit chat for 10 mins. Pop usually gives him the $$$ every few weeks.

When i had an ironing lady, She would just pick up my shirts and drop them off... really good set up, i'd just EFT funds to her account.

All my luxurys have been trimmed tho so i can focus on the investing, when i get to retirement i will get them all back :D

Regards,

RH

Give these guys a call -> their cleaners are always professional. Not cheap but no BS cancellations that I used to cop from the cheap cleaners.

Meticulous Cleaning!

Give these guys a call -> their cleaners are always professional. Not cheap but no BS cancellations that I used to cop from the cheap cleaners.

Meticulous Cleaning!

I guess it's like everything - someone will have a different opinion. I haven't used them in 3 years, and I still don't have nice things to say about them.

After ringing Meticulous to find out why my cleaner didn't arrive (I'd used them for 4 or 5 months) I was told by their office staff that my cleaner was mentally unstable, had a nervous breakdown and was no longer cleaning. (So much for reference checking and sending her to jobs!)

They then told me that they had called and informed all her clients, so I definately knew in advance. Fast forward another couple of minutes and then I was told oops we've confused your cleaner with the one that had the breakdown (they had similar names - I've changed the names but it was something like Kate and they told me about Katie)

Anyway, the call lacked professionalism, probably breeched Katie's privacy, and didn't help getting my house cleaned. After that I had another 3 cancellations, which was 3 too many, and I gave them the flick.

Hope they have improved ALOT since those days
Cheers
Buddybee

Oh wow buddybee.. I had great ones from them.
I think the owner is a little scattered, but the assistant that she has is great.
The previous ones were dismal, sms me 1hr before and say they had a car accident/car broke down etc.
Why is it so hard to find a reliable cleaner!

Why is it so hard to find a reliable cleaner!

Because it's a crap job for crap money, so think of the type of people who have to resort to this type of a job. I've never been in the position of having to try and find a cleaner, but wouldn't be surprised if it was difficult to find someone good.

Back