Tizzy's duplex development

congrats Tizzy,
As we are renovating as well, I also understand your excitement.
We are ON a deadline. Sept 1 they have to be living in the apt.(Uni starts a couple days later for them).

Sailor,
The comments were tongue in cheek...even tho they prob did not come across that way.

Was just having a private giggle at Dizzy's enthusiasm over a concrete slab.

I have to say that I find it more statisfying rather than exciting when you visit site and see something happening on the ground, and converesely very frustrating on subsequent vists to see no apparent progress.

The whole process however, is one that leaves a sense of accomplishment when you take delivery of the completed product and recall what it looked like when you first started.

kp

Tis all water off my duck like back anyway :D

I'm thrilled to bits to see something happening on that patch of sand. I'll post a pic of the loaded slab as soon as it happens. Sometime during the week I hope.

Yes it is sooooo nice to see progress.

Interesting how the slab is recessed out.........must be a WA thing.

Hmm 'fraid I can't really get excited over it either..........must be a chick or a bloke thing depending from which angle you're loking I suppose.......:D

Now show me some wiring and I'll get excited..........:p

ciao

Nor

Hi Sailor, I can't go by and check on progress until the weekend so thought I'd try google earth.

:cool:

Doesn't work though, its not exactly current time!!

We had our old farmhouse re stumped, re roofed and a new verandah put around the big old girl....it was spring, I was on holidays....(the guy we rent the house off was picking up the $$ tab)...it was fun.

The weather was so beautiful the company very pleasant and the scenery amazing. The old house looks a treat too.

Sailor may I recommend a good old fashioned game of football! Cairns should have it somewhere, very entertaining game, men in brief shorts and singlets run about and grapple each other other....yelling and screaming (positive encouragement of course) is permitted....better still volunteer work as one of the trainers for a local footy side is said to be very enjoyable. Apparently half dressed footballers lie down on tables and have liniment rubbed into their bodies....

Also I have only just realise ( recently) the importance of having all your IP's depreciation schedules done.

....and don't forget how pleasant supermarket shopping is...as well as sheep and cattle sale/auctions...men in denim and hats...definitely do a sheep sale, that's a must....plus a harvest in a hot little farming community, farmers in shorts and nothing else...it's very earthy. I think you better come and visit our community......serious lack of women to men ratio....

Tizzy, love the pics...building is fun, I'm hoping our next build is a little closer to us, but I love to follow others with interest.

Last edited:
At $2.50 per brick I guess I'd be pretty motivated about laying them thick and fast too.
Make hay while the sun shines as far a brickies go right now.

kp

If thats what they get paid :eek:

Its just good to see something being created and interesting too to see how it's all put together. The bricks have got holes in them. I guess so the render will have a better chance to stick. Looks like they use the same type internally too.

Holes are also to reduce the weight and amount of material in the brick.
They don't need to be solid to have strength.

Same bricks inside and out ?
It looks like fastwall. Larger than face bricks, coz its going to be rendered externally right ?

Yes thats right. The packs still left on the slab are the same. The rendered finish outside will be painted.

Back