Tizzy's duplex development

Not wanting to hijack this thread...But we still have arctic fleece sheets on the bed!!!!! I finally gave my silk sheets to my son...figured living with an auissie in canada....I'll never need them.

that seven months from today, I will have paying tenants in our two new builds. Slabs get poured today so I'm quietly confident that progress will be swift from now on after a long year of slow progress with govvie red tape where seemingly nothing happening. :)
Hi Tizzy...just thinking about your bet here, and wondering how you plan and measure your progress towards your goal? Like...do you have a time line with significant markers at certain stages? Just wondering how you do this please?

It's blind faith Sailor, and its based on the same time frame a couple of similar houses by the same builder were recently completed. Once started, they don't seem to have quiet periods of time, there is some sort of trade present all the time. The biggest recent delay for them was bricks supply but we had no problems there, so not expecting any other hold ups.
These two houses are in a group of four by the same builder so it is a reasonable amount of work in the same area. The other two houses are opposite ours.

We need a limestone retaining wall done which might add a week because it can't be built until we get the keys, but then theres quite a bit of finishing to do after we get the handover.

Thanks Tizzy....I'm a bit more "anal" than that! I need to be in control!:D Blind faith sounds a whole lot easier than all my spread sheets.

We have tenants moving in Sept 1. The renovations had better be finished by then. We are a lot like Tizzy.
A lot of it is blind faith. We have asked the plumbers, electricians, carpenter if they will be ready.....they said they couldn't see any problem, and as far as they are concerned, they are ahead of where THEY think they should be.

So exciting isn't it Tizzy and Sailor.

We have tenants moving in Sept 1. The renovations had better be finished by then. We are a lot like Tizzy.
A lot of it is blind faith. We have asked the plumbers, electricians, carpenter if they will be ready.....they said they couldn't see any problem, and as far as they are concerned, they are ahead of where THEY think they should be.

So exciting isn't it Tizzy and Sailor.
I am soooooooooooo jumping out of my skin with excitement Kathryn! I just can't wait...that's why I have to visit the site at least once a day to check out the progress. The Beach House will be my PPOR, so I've started packing already. (My second bedroom here is chockers with packed boxes.) Will be taking over a few boxes at a time and storing them in the garage.

Last edited:
One house up to plate height.

Well one house has most of the brickwork done, apart from garage wall. I think they finished it a week ago. The rain has been so heavy nothing much else has happened this week.

Would a lovely mod be able to move this thread for me? It started out as a bet thread, but has become a log of the building?

I've put the photos in the gallery because I don't know how to put them in the thread.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=520

Last edited:
Thanks Asy for moving my thread, I didn't realise it would become my log (albeit renamed) :)

Anyone who knows about brickwork care to look at my fast brick walls and tell me why the brickies don't butter all surfaces of the bricks? I can see daylight in some of the internal walls. Surely that lets sound through, even though they will be plastered.

I think if you asked them they would say just be happy you've got brickies on site !
I would suspect it just because they are going so fast ( attention to detail ) so they can get onto the next job.
Also the rougher the finish the better the render and plaster take to it.
More nooks and crannies for better bite.

kp

I don't buy beer but I have bought lunch, coffee etc I think it's wasted efforts coz when I went back later, they hadn't even been touched.[/QUOTE]

That's because they wanted BEER!! It's fuel for all tradies, keeps them going!! HA! HA!

Seriously, I got a $200 discount on the bobcat invoice, due to a $50 carton of beer.:D

Ok, its Ice Coffee / Choc Milk / coke in the mornings 1st thing and morning tea and Beer after work - make sure you give it to them at the end of the day, you don't want them drinking it whilst working. A few years ago I was having the front yard leavelled for roll on lawn, I had to go out and would not be home B4 he finished so I gave him a 6 pack when I left - well he hopped in his car and started to drink some, I worried all day wondering what he was doing to my front yard. All was fine, thank god.

Are you sure they don't drink on the job? I have seen so many jim beam and coke cans that you could probably construct a sizeable building out of around some new estates.

My brickies loved me turning up with beer.
I'll do the same with other trades as we go. Bit like tipping really. I'm not prepared to risk not taking beer to the site hahaha. It's such a small investment in the end. (the beer that is). :p

Thanks KPH, if this was the house I wanted to live in, I would most definately ask for them to fill in between the bricks, though I accept what you are saying about "plaster grip". I have lived in so many houses with poor sound insulation between bedroom and lounge areas. I hate hearing TV noise second hand.

We are in August, look how far we've come

Good weather today, rain on monday so brickies and the roof guy (if he builds with steel trusses is he still a roof carpenter???) were busy today doing their thing. Lots of great new photos uploaded into the gallery. Have a look at the link http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=520

I'm really pleased with the way things are shaping up. Brickies will finish internal rooms on the St Louis house by mid next week. Roof guy hopes to finish both houses by the end of next week. Never seen metal in domestic use before but love the idea for fire safety, white ant deterrant & timber sustainability.

Whats next? Surely its roof tiles? I guess I'll know next weekend when I head up to the site with my camera again.

Now that the buildings are on the block, I'm realising that these houses are quite small. I knew they were only 168sqm each, but still when you walk around inside the rooms its a bit of a shock. Still, they will have appeal for more average size families I'm sure. Not everyone has to house 5 anklebiters like me!! :D :cool:

Tis looking good Tizzy....very exciting to watch your progress. Yes, my carpenter is doing steel things too...and he still thinks he's a carpenter!

Hahahaha thats very funny.

I thought they must be called steel fixers or something. I can just imagine the older ones reminising with the apprentices about the days they had wood to work with. :D

Thanks Tizzy, great pics. I have to say your enthusiasm has given me a bit of a pick up - feeling rather flat this week - tenants really know how to take the shine of property investing! Now I feel recharged to face another week!
We have 5 kids also, so I know what you mean about "sizing up houses" - even when looking for rentals/renos it is hard not to measure a house by your own needs!
Looking forward to more pics, thanks Angela.

Tenants have a special way of making you doubt your wisdom don't they. Been there, done that :eek: It was not good. Once these are built, it will be the first time for almost 8 years that we will AGAIN experience the "special" relationship only a land lord can understand.

This time we are better prepared psychologically for scenarios like non payment of rent and trashed premises.

What has happened to your rental Angela?

Back