To date, around 1700 planets have been discovered outside our solar system.

Thought I'd post this here rather than start a new post...some Solar System news:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/cassini-satellite-discovers-evidence-of-ocean-on-saturns-moon-enceladus/story-e6frf7jo-1226874215939- Marcia Dunn, AP - 04.04.2014

"...SCIENTISTS have uncovered a vast ocean beneath the icy surface of Saturn?s little moon Enceladus.

Italian and American researchers made the discovery using Cassini, a NASA-European spacecraft still exploring Saturn and its rings 17 years after its launch from Cape Canaveral.

This new ocean of liquid water ? as big as or even bigger than North America?s Lake Superior ? is centred at the south pole of Enceladus and could encompass much if not most of the moon. Enceladus is about 499 kilometres in diameter...Cassini, already exceeding its life expectancy, is to make three more fly-bys of Enceladus before the mission ends in 2017."

It's a thrilling confirmation (but one that was a near certainty, and has been for some time) -- a few friends have even told me about it which shows the ripples this news has created. I don't hear science news from my friends that often.

Why so exciting?

To discover liquid water (a key ingredient for life as we know it) on a small body, so distant from its sun, alludes to great possibilities and extremely high probabilities that there are many, many other places out there that could harbor the sort of life we're familiar with.

Woo!

Hi Richard, in my opinion, there is no probability that life exists elsewhere, it's a certainty. We just haven't discovered it yet.

Have you been watching Cosmos with Neil Degrasse-Tyson? If not, do so immeidately, it's the business.

Given that land is our most valuable commodity,if a project,or even numerous projects along the lines of "Lakeside Enceladus" were to be undertaken in the future how do think this may affect the value of our properties on planet Earth?

25 years ago, in an another country, one old horoscope reader told my mum about our family's future. Almost, all major events happened. None of those events were 'common' at that time or even now.
That alone keeps me afraid of God :)

Interesting....similar thing happened to me as well with a palm reader. When the guy left, the family actually joked about it saying how crazy he was.

I think mind needs a resting place time to time. Whether that place is god, rock, a tree, faith or even somersoft :D is anyone's choice/right.

On a clear night, when I look at the starts/moon, my mind is at rest. Then 3 kids come and jump on me :D

Hi Richard, in my opinion, there is no probability that life exists elsewhere, it's a certainty. We just haven't discovered it yet.

Have you been watching Cosmos with Neil Degrasse-Tyson? If not, do so immeidately, it's the business.

I'm with you on that, but true to the scientific method, I won't make claims without evidence.

As for the new Cosmos, yes.

An aside. Ann Druyan has suggested even more cannabis was involved in the conception and creation of this series than the original.

I have to laugh when life on other planets is defined as not existing because they dont have air and water. People, even scientists are defining life by the limits of our finite brains and our requirements for life. They have discovered bacteria that survives in molten lava so there goes that theory. I firmly believe in ufo's and aliens because of all I have read about encounters, but have never seen one, even though being interested is supposed to make you conjure one up (according to debunkers) I also believe that ethically, aliens would not interfere with earths activity as this would destabilise us, however I am surpirsed that for all the years of SETI going, they have never stumbled across some audible evidence accidently being transmitted.

I have to laugh when life on other planets is defined as not existing because they dont have air and water. People, even scientists are defining life by the limits of our finite brains and our requirements for life. They have discovered bacteria that survives in molten lava so there goes that theory. I firmly believe in ufo's and aliens because of all I have read about encounters, but have never seen one, even though being interested is supposed to make you conjure one up (according to debunkers) I also believe that ethically, aliens would not interfere with earths activity as this would destabilise us, however I am surpirsed that for all the years of SETI going, they have never stumbled across some audible evidence accidently being transmitted.

I could write an essay (or ten) in response the the above. But it's all been done before. Just briefly:

You are wholly incorrect in suggesting "scientists" define the requirements for life based on what exists on earth. 50 years ago, sure. But they learn. Fast. Anyone who does, by definition, is not a scientist. The scientific community is fully aware that life may--in fact, almost certainly WOULD--come in a variety of forms, comprised of all manner of matter; some of it completely inconceivable to us. Some postulate life may be capable of existing purely as energy. However, if we're basing a search on probabilities, it makes complete sense to seek out life composed of the most abundant chemical elements throughout the universe.

In order:

1. Hydrogen
2. Helium (Hello, stars)
3. Oxygen (Houston, e now have water)
4. Carbon (G'day carbon-based life)

And so on.

The source of energy life may utilise is another matter.

There are few other obvious things to consider, for example, organisms cannot exist if they're made of particularly unstable matter e.g. stuff that decays in fractions of a second. Additionally, the rarer an element, the less likely it is for life to exist made up of it. It's simple probability.

As for the second point about us not having detected signs of life yet, it's explained pretty well here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2apGYUX7Q0

No I'm not, you are. You said:

There are an eternal amount of planets and stars and space for them to exist in

"When we talk of real infinities, we're talking about a quantity larger than any number. No matter what number you have in mind, infinity is larger." Carl Sagan

To have an eternal (that is, infinite) number of planets and stars or even space, would mean that the universe would be full to the brim with stars and planets and nothing would exist. Because you can never reach infinity. Even if you think of a number so incredibly large, all one has to do is add 'plus 1' to the end of that number to get a higher number. You could literally do that into perpetuity.

The number of stars in a galaxy reaches into the billions and there are billions of galaxies. But it's still a finite number. Just because you and I don't know *exactly* how many stars and planets there are in the known universe (let alone how many there are in the unknown universe) doesn't mean that there is an eternal number of stars, planets and space. That is literally impossible.

Space (the universe) is constantly expanding, which means that space is also not eternal, since in order for it to expand, it needs to have an edge (think of a balloon expanding when someone blows it up).

Those are the facts.

No I'm not, you are. You said:

"When we talk of real infinities, we're talking about a quantity larger than any number. No matter what number you have in mind, infinity is larger." Carl Sagan

To have an eternal (that is, infinite) number of planets and stars or even space, would mean that the universe would be full to the brim with stars and planets and nothing would exist. Because you can never reach infinity. Even if you think of a number so incredibly large, all one has to do is add 'plus 1' to the end of that number to get a higher number. You could literally do that into perpetuity.

The number of stars in a galaxy reaches into the billions and there are billions of galaxies. But it's still a finite number. Just because you and I don't know *exactly* how many stars and planets there are in the known universe (let alone how many there are in the unknown universe) doesn't mean that there is an eternal number of stars, planets and space. That is literally impossible.

Space (the universe) is constantly expanding, which means that space is also not eternal, since in order for it to expand, it needs to have an edge (think of a balloon expanding when someone blows it up).

Those are the facts.

I totally agree with this. i just hope to be alive when they discover what its expanding into! a whole new dimension/ universe????

I totally agree with this. i just hope to be alive when they discover what its expanding into! a whole new dimension/ universe????

There is a theory I find interesting regarding multiple universes and the possibility that our Universe was created when another universe imploded, leading to the Big Bang.

Arhh.... space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship........Yes takes me back.

Do you think they will ever find a ring around Uranus? - I wish they gave that planet a different name ;)

Those are the facts.

Facts? From where?

Righto, what's on the other side of the "edge" ?

Yeah thought so, more space. Eternal infinite space for which could be filled with whatever you care to name.
That is a fact humans find difficult to fathom but logically it can't be argued against. Constantly expanding into what? More space.....forever, no end.

Crack another beer Mr Fab and relax a little in the knowledge that you (&I) matter squat in the bigger picture of all this.

Back