To Flyscreen Or Not To Flyscreen?

Hi,

I'm in the process of finalising plans to build a 4 bedroom house in Mango Hill, QLD. I have a minor detail I'm unsure of, so i thought I'd post on here. My question relates to a fly-screen door for the front door of the house.

The benefit of the fly-screen door obviously is to keep out flies, mozzies, etc, and would be more appealing to renters with young children. The downside is the front of the house would look nowhere near as good with the front door hidden behind the fly-screen. The fly-screen door costs about $500. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts / advice as to whether or not to place a fly-screen door over the front door?

Cheers,

Andrew

Most definately YES you need screens in Qld.

But get a second quote -$500 for a Flyscreen door is WAAAAY over priced. Especially for a brand new home. A Flyscreen door should cost you $250-300 and a diamond grill screen door would be $350-400.

Pm me and I can give you a phone number of one of our guys who works that area.

I agree. I hate fly screen doors on the front of a house. They are the ugliest things! Completely ruins the look of a nice front door. I pulled the horrible diamond grill out of mine and made a nice scroll pattern and inserted it in. Also did the same for two sash window grills.

In the past I have made screen doors with the same pattern as the main door for a few people. They blend in much better. Maybe you can get hold of a metal worker/ artist blacksmith in your area to do this for you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    922.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I fly screened the windows and sliding doors, left the front door un-screened though. Don't like the look.

Definitely a security screen door.

Means you can open the door but still have a level of security in case of unwanted callers
Marg

Last edited:
If it's just a fly screen you're after, you could try one of the retractable type. However, these are fairly susceptible to damage so may not be great for a rental.

As others have said, Diamond grill style will destroy the front facade of the property! Like most on here - I absolutely hate these things! Mango Hill is full of them though, so if it comes down to cost, it's probably not the end of the world.

Could you do a Crimsafe style? From what I've seen, these look the best and I think also function as a fly screen.

Mango Hill is highly infested with Mosquitoes at some times of the year as there are lots of man-made lakes and bushland all around there.

Good luck with the build - you've chosen a great, go-ahead area.

Thanks all for your input!

Appears to be a split decision on points. I think I'll go against my heart and put a fly-screen door on.. I just don't want to miss out on possible tenants simply because the house is missing a fly-screen door... Will just have to convince the Mrs..

I'm guessing there are fly screens on windows? If so, then do the door too.

We don't have fly screens at home, or on any IPs. We've never had any issues, but I guess tenants wanting flyscreens would not even look at our IPs. We do have some security grills on some windows for security though.

The risk of not screening your flies (or tenants as most people here call them) is rather high. You should discuss this with your pm or your insurer if you want to knowingly allow unscreened pests into your property. ;)

Not sure what the QLD regs are like but with the whole "reasonably secure" tripe in the WA regs I would consider it a must from a security view.

Not sure what the QLD regs are like but with the whole "reasonably secure" tripe in the WA regs I would consider it a must from a security view.

That would be interesting to know. I don't know many people who have flyscreens but we live in an old suburb where they don't suit the architecture. None if our IPs has them and we have never been asked for them.

Most of the IPs (and our PPOR) have some security to allow windows to be left open though. I am guessing in old suburbs people don't expect them, nor want them. I also guess people wanting fly screens would be looking in newer areas and would discount houses without screens in many such areas.

Very interesting really... whether we will ever be asked to provide fly screens or legislated to do so.

Ive got a crimsafe security screen in front of my front door (PPOR), looks good.
Would have taken a piccie but its dark out.
You can open your front door for the breezes without the bugs/thieves getting in, but its pricier than the more ugly looking fly screen type doors.

Back