To keep or remove an illegal "bedroom"?

Allow me to introduce myself. I’ve been lurking theses forums for a year or two and have finally made a move and bought my first property. It’s a 2br, 1 bathroom unit in Sydney’s west. It’s currently my ppor so I can claim the fhog and I’m in the middle of renovating it. So far it’s going good; I plan to spend a total of 5k-10k on a new kitchen/carpet/paint/doors and general repairs.

The unit is a total of 60sqm and has 2 bedrooms, however the former owners being new immigrants to Australia with little money have erected a wall in the lounge room to create a 3rd bedroom. The wall is of decent construction quality, but the one flaw is that it goes straight through a window, cutting it in half and looks completely stupid. I have hit a wall in making a decision to remove this wall or not, as I see it really would not add any value and just consume time and resources. However I am concerned to the issues I may face in the future when I go to rent/sell this place.

Carlin

Carlin

If it doesn't invade your space I'd leave it.
The window issue can be fixed by putting some nice curtains up.
My thinking is that if in the future you decide to rent it out you may get a bit more rent

Are you able to move the wall a metre or so (so it doesn't foul the window), so you have a larger lounge but still retain a small room?

Put a phone connection in and call it a study.

How much extra would you get for 3 br against 2br. (either renting or sale) If its worth it, think about having the one window pulled out and 2 smaller windows put in (body corp app etc.) It would be easily fixed with plaster inside, but you would have to consider what effect outside would require. Is it plain brick, rendered or weatherboard, are you ground floor or how high up is access

I wouldn't have thought it was illegal to put an internal wall up in any place? :confused: Pull it down if you don't want and keep it if you think it adds value.

i wouldn't think it was illegal either - but another question is "who is your target market?"

would they prefer 2 beds and a big lounge - or three beds and a small lounge?

would it be a couple with no kids (2 beds) or a family (3 beds)?

I wouldn't have thought it was illegal to put an internal wall up in any place? :confused:

i wouldn't think it was illegal either
It may be illegal. There are two considerations: Council regulations (which may require approval even for internal walls, depending on the zoning of the property, how old it is, etc), and the Building Code of Australia. The BCA has requirements for square metrage, light, ventilation, etc in order for the room to qualify as a "habitable room" (ie bedroom), which this new room may or may not meet.

Given that it's a 60m2 apartment, 3 bedrooms sounds "ambitious" to say the least! :D

Have you got a QS report yet?

Is a wall an income generating asset? Check if it is depreciable and then claim it if you can and then rip it out and claim the whole cost wall. *might need a QS and accountant to answer that one*

Aaron

Thanks for all your feedback. Moving the wall is not really an option as its very solid, with the frame bolted into the brick walls on either side. Moving it would be almost impossible with out tearing half of it down.

I don’t see it as adding any value when selling. However it may add a little bit when renting as ziggy mentioned. The window idea is good, but it might get dangerous to let strata know and I’m sure they will come down hard if they found out.

Concerning the questions of legality. As it is a strata unit my understanding is that I can never officially make it a 3br unit (without getting council and strata involved). Calling it a study may get around this, however the 2 people per bedroom rule would still apply, and it also may affect the buildings insurance.

The council has been taking a very active approach in cracking down and stoping these types of thing by putting notices in the local paper and doing mass mail outs to everyone in the area. I plan to attend one of the information sessions next month.

I don’t see it as adding any value when selling. However it may add a little bit when renting as ziggy mentioned. The window idea is good, but it might get dangerous to let strata know and I’m sure they will come down hard if they found out.

Put it this way, you must have seen the wall when you inspected the property. Did the wall affect YOUR decision to buy the property and what price you offered?
Alex

Back