Toe in the water

Sorry to hear that ausprop. would've been good to follow a project of this magnitube from start to finish. good luck with this new direction. oh, and how did this affect your relationship with KPH - hope it didn't put a strain in as people are far more important than profit. would be interesting to see how hurdles affect partnerships.

yes it is a shame as it would be an awesome project for the resume. still, we have a hand in it and completing it will earn good credentials with the bank.

KPH is a realist and accepts it for what it is. he has had a few other issues to contend with that are unrelated to this and hence we don't see him post here anymore.

..............we have been very fortunate to find a parter that, whilst benfitting from our losses, will still allow us to get to completion. Looking to wrap that up asap now..............QUOTE]

Good perspective Ausprop.

Sharing some of the spoils with the rescue party (and avoiding an ongoing non-productive interest bill) is better than keeping 100 % of nothing and waiting ( paying :( ) for looser lending conditions.

Good luck moving forward :)

hi all
did you end up with funding this project.
I read thru the post but did not have did you end up with funding and what was or is the net return
post or email me you both have the email
talk soon

yeh not good. after sinking a couple of hundred thou into plans etc we had an awesome product ready to roll out. unfortunately we were financed with westpac (luckily not the st george part because they just liquidated all their developers on the spot). nonetheless westpac were brutal, lifted all the funding criteria just as we were about to hit the go button. spent countless months working on alternatives. perth valuers are pathetic bunch of trend followers and were writing the whole world off - some of their doom and gloom was just plain ridiculous (and the agents were no better). long story short, we got flushed out, lost millions. now there is a chronic office shortage. blind freddy could see it coming but no one that mattered unfortunately! so we went for guts and glory - if it had gone thru it would have eventuated perfectly, alas it didn't and it has been one of many painful projects. you win some you lose some and this was a bad one.

I actually have some stories to tell that have unravelled over the last few years - I plan on posting it all on here eventually. I think alot of people would find them incredulous... never been a dull moment that's for sure.

Sorry to hear that Ausprop. Hopefully you make it all back the next project you undertake.

thanks. you can only go onwards and upwards. I've followed the hot money and am into the next thing now - hence why I wasn;t posting on here for a long time, but I do enjoy property and think I will always be messign around with it in some form. next 6 months should be telling....

now there is a chronic office shortage.

Indeed there is...and what a wonderful position that is to be in.

I was given access to a confidential CBA analysis last week, showing that in Q4 2010 a vacancy rate in office space of 11.3% was predicted to grow to 13% in Q4 2011....but instead it is down to 3.4% and projected to dip below 2% in the coming quarters.

Obviously great news for existing Landlords and 'brace yourself Nellie' time for Tenants.

Your office ressy development on the corner there Ausprop would have been a cracker.

It's a shame the Bankers and valuers couldn't see it. If it had of been built, you would have leased it out for good money in a flash.

blind freddy could see it coming but no one that mattered unfortunately!

Exactly right Ausprop - some people's opinions are worth more than others.

This is why I'll probably never get into developments. The lag time between approvals and actually having the product available is just too long. You can go from hot to cold, or in your case, cold to hot.

The Banks simply aren't willing to support that type of risk at the moment.

I much prefer to let some other poor sod take all the risk in building something, get it tenanted, then come along and offer about 70% what they paid to build it to then simply sit as a passive Landlord and enjoy the long ride of a Tenant working through their Lease term via the natural effluxion of time.

well, in hindsight I can't argue Dazz. Development can be great, I have made huge windfalls from it, however I should have eased off and protected my capital better.

Appreciate you providing an open and honest update prop.

As strange as it sounds, I find sometimes I learn more from the "lose" stories than I do from the "wins" so thanks for sharing!

I look forward to hearing more about your projects in the future.

B.D

yes it was a hard knock but others were doing it harder - I know guys that had put together $20m+ and did the lot. And when the dust settles you wonder what you were trying to achieve anyway which is the strange thing?!

I don't know if this is even possible prop but...

If you could summarise your learnings from this and other deals (both successful and maybe not so) over the past 5 years in one sentence, what would you say..?

Sorry to hear about this one Ausprop. Good to hear you remain positive though - life can certainly give us a whack across the ears when we least expect it.

I don't know if this is even possible prop but...

If you could summarise your learnings from this and other deals (both successful and maybe not so) over the past 5 years in one sentence, what would you say..?

I gave it a good go but there is just too much to say... so after a few attempts and a few paragraphs I have deleted it all and would just say "steady as she goes, you are on your own and sometimes bad things just happen"

the last part of that will become apparant when I lay out the details of another deal in due course.

Back