Tombstones

What will your tombstone read?

• Sold (prior to auction)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • For Rent (no pets allowed)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Open for Inspection (100 years from now)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Auction (please register to bid)

• Under contract (and cement)

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
I have 36 plots on top of a hill, as a part of a family space. It is at Rouse Hill NSW. I actually have marble tombs all ready up, they have my family's surname on them. Kind of weird for girlfriends in the past showing them where they will be buried shall they spend a life with me.

When my father died I was 16 and after burying him as a family we all decided to buy plots because by the time we die it will be too unaffordable and people will be cremated instead. + Its impressive looking at the top of a hill and all these headstones. :)

Basically there is enough for husband + wife + 4 others in each site and there is 6 of these sites.

Not as investment but more as a legacy I guess.

Now that you mention this, I will have to think about it....

Maybe put on it, For Lease?

I plan on being cremated and eventually spread..so won't require a tombstone.
Rob and I do frequent cemetaries fairly often..we visited one today in Kilcoy,Qld. We don't know anyone there, but think it is nice to visit the "old section" as many probably don't have too many visitors now.

I hate how the newer sections of cemetaries are becoming so uniform. Can't even have any individuality in death anymore, it seems.

I have 36 plots on top of a hill, as a part of a family space. It is at Rouse Hill NSW. I actually have marble tombs all ready up, they have my family's surname on them. Kind of weird for girlfriends in the past showing them where they will be buried shall they spend a life with me.

When my father died I was 16 and after burying him as a family we all decided to buy plots because by the time we die it will be too unaffordable and people will be cremated instead. + Its impressive looking at the top of a hill and all these headstones. :)

Basically there is enough for husband + wife + 4 others in each site and there is 6 of these sites.

Not as investment but more as a legacy I guess.

Now that you mention this, I will have to think about it....

Maybe put on it, For Lease?
That's quite a portfolio, don't know that I'd be in a hurry to find a tenant for any of them, especially if they're reserved for family but yeah....I understand your reasoning for the purchases.

As for what the tombstone says "for lease" okay, but will that be on a monthly or fixed yearly agreement??? :eek:

just chuck my ashes in the ocean... why would i want people coming to a tombstone and standing around getting depressed?

When I shuffle off of this mortal coil, I want to be either donated to science or, failing them finding a use for me, fed to animals. I figure I've eaten them all of my life, it's only fair that they get to eat me in the end.

I'm all for having a memorial service and possibly a place for family to remember me or something like that but the costs of dying these days are ridiculous. Plant a big tree if you want to remember me, don't pay some business outfit ridiculous money to let me rot in a 'special place'.

When I shuffle off of this mortal coil, I want to be either donated to science .....

My dad has Alzheimers and has left his body to be used for study, which I understand, and don't have any issues with.

My mother-in-law, on the other hand, wants to leave her body to science so "they" can study her bones and see how her bone structure and density compare with somebody who eats dairy. She thinks because she doesn't drink milk that she doesn't have "dairy". We've tried to explain that cheese, butter and cream are also dairy, but she won't listen to us.

Bit off topic, I know, but just reminded me of how silly this woman is, though I care for her. Still want to slap her :D

fed to animals. I figure I've eaten them all of my life, it's only fair that they get to eat me in the end.

perhaps a "sky" burial ... used in mountainous tibet where they take you further up in the mountains, cut you up and feed you to the vultures. they have no ability to either bury or burn the bodies, so it makes sense to return the empty shell to nature.

personally - no tomb for me. cremated, turned into red diamonds and if anything left to be scattered in the countryside.

Rob and I do frequent cemetaries fairly often..we visited one today in Kilcoy,Qld. We don't know anyone there, but think it is nice to visit the "old section" as many probably don't have too many visitors now.
That's a bit of a sad hobbie, I can understand visiting to pay one's respects but strolling through tombstones just for the sake of it would be depressing (as you've said, because they are changing for the worse). Besides, I don't think the dead will notice the absence of visitors and the caretakers of these sites probably won't notice much either.

...ummm

-'She did her due diligence and bought well'

-'The Researcher'

'She loved a good deal'

-'She loved The Deal'

-'1m x 2m'

-'Potential Development Site'

-'Renovated Well'

-'Single but Cosy'

-'Is that the best you can offer?'

-'I might be interested'

-'Subject To Finance'

'Here lies my final Section 32'

'Property is a Girl's Best Friend'

Seriously though, I'm not sure what I want done with my body, I haven't decided yet.

"Truth To Your Own Spirit" is one I do like, (from Jim Morrison's ).

Possibly, most likely cremated and ashes tossed up the Grampians somewhere.

Last edited:
I don't want a tombstone or a plague (filing cabinet style) in the wall; cremation is my preference but if I did have one, it'd read:

Cheap rent, enquiries welcome :p

I think I'll opt for the cremation. Lil did at one time say that she would have the ashes turned into a diamond that she would wear, to keep me close. Problem with that is that I have two children.

I think I'll opt for the cremation. Lil did at one time say that she would have the ashes turned into a diamond that she would wear, to keep me close. Problem with that is that I have two children.
So where's the problem? You divide your time, attention, love etc between them now, why stop after death. I'm sure there will be enough to make 2 (smaller) rings????

Well, that is true. I just don't know how they do it or how much ash is required to make one, or for that matter if he other child would even think that was appropriate.

Once I'm gone, I don't care what happens to me, however I think it is a lovely touch if one (or both) of my children would want to feel me near to them.

That's a bit of a sad hobbie, I can understand visiting to pay one's respects but strolling through tombstones just for the sake of it would be depressing (as you've said, because they are changing for the worse). Besides, I don't think the dead will notice the absence of visitors and the caretakers of these sites probably won't notice much either.

I don't think it is sad at all.Death is interesting, and how bodies break down in different circumstances.(underground, on top of ground,in water)

When I was little, my father would frequently stop at cemetaries, but he was into geneology.
I find them quite facinating. Sometimes you will come across the reason for their death, which adds a bit.

I thought about turning myself into a gem stone, but my daughter keeps losing jewellry I buy her now.:p Who knows where I would end up !!
Then again..free travel.
Reminds me when my father died. he was sent to wrong funeral home. I thought he would have enjoyed that..going for that extra trip. I found it amusing when it happened, instead of being upset by it.

Donating your body to science is not as easy as you think. I did a bit research on it a few months ago, and they have so many rules. Body must be intact. No autopsy. Can't donate organs. Can't be obese etc...

Organ donations should be a given, unless otherwise stated.

When I was little, my father would frequently stop at cemetaries, but he was into geneology.
I find them quite facinating. Sometimes you will come across the reason for their death, which adds a bit.

When I am out in the golfields I like having a look around at the cemetaries. It is interesting just how people died back then and often very young, or just working age. Also good that they actually put on the tombstones how people went back in the 19th century. Now it is left as a mystery more often than not.

It really takes you back to the moment, and when you are doing what they did, i.e. prospecting it adds to the experience IMO.

Back