Tony Abbott talking about mandatory drug testing for dole recipients

Rarely do I agree with anything from Abbott, but I agree 100% with this.

Difficult to arrange as it needs support from the states, but a great thing if it succeeds.

You want free money? No problem, just ensure you can pass a random test.

Don't like it as it's an invasion of privacy and somewhat demeaning, same as random drug testing in the workplace, except maybe for high risk occupations.

In saying that I've always believed the dole shouldn't be paid directly into bank accounts but into a card that can only be used at certain places like the supermarket, hardware store etc.

Agree with it wholeheartedly
Why should govt fund drug use?
Why should those on "seeking employment" benefit be jeopardising their chances?

I am for it too.

I also heard on the news this morning that they're thinking of withholding benefits those with outstanding arrest warrants. People that are evading the law are still being paid benefits??? So they're being paid to evade the law.....

Don't like it as it's an invasion of privacy and somewhat demeaning, same as random drug testing in the workplace, except maybe for high risk occupations.

Imho if someone is putting themselves out there as job ready, then they shouldn't be posing a threat to a prospective employer's operations eg: drug or alcohol use does impair the ability to work and can compromise safety and workers compensation coverage.

16! Crikey! That's a bit harsh mate? :p

I reckon your joking right?

See ya's.

Start sarcasm...

I'm a small L liberal, hence such a high figure. The party were discussing the limit being so low that women can't ovulate - cut down future payments even more. If people can afford to eat their obviously getting too much dole.

Some in the party wanted dole recipients to achieve a BMI of greater than 40 within 6 months as mandatory for continuing payments - another great way to cut the dole expenditure. Some even proposed a system where cash payments would be replaced by a card that could only be used at Maccas, KFC and hungry jacks.

End sarcasm...

Solicitors representing insurance company shareholders cherish nothing higher that to have evidence that the person at the workplace responsible for the accident / incident and trying to make a claim was impaired by either drugs and / or alcohol.

Some jobs may require alcohol/drug tests but most do not, so the dole shouldn't either.

Marijuana in particular should be completely decriminalized and have the same status as alcohol, as some states in the US have done.

Define High Risk :D

Driving Trucks on the Highways, Bus Drivers, Flying Airplanes, being a school teacher, Police (Nah, can't test them in the workplace), or?

In saying that I've always believed the dole shouldn't be paid directly into bank accounts but into a card that can only be used at certain places like the supermarket, hardware store etc.

Sounds good, like food stamps, I think they have/had that previously? I recall being in a lower socio-economic area and seeing a sign at the shop counter that said "Food Stamps will not be exchanged for Cash". The busiest shop at the shopping centre at that place, was by far, the grog shop. There was a morning drove at opening time as they exited the surrounding houses/units to come to the bottle-o

Another area I was in, there was a blue going on in the shops because the hubby was p****d that the missus was spending the grog money on food

Smart tactic by Mr Abbott (not)

He knows that a lot of young people are on benefits AND alot take druds.

He's thinking, "here's an easy way to save money". You see it's only about the money.

What he should be doing is addressing the issues why people take drugs. But he don't give two hoots about that!

dang! where's my bong gone? I gotta start work driving a bus in 30 minutes. lol.

Some jobs may require alcohol/drug tests but most do not, so the dole shouldn't either.

Marijuana in particular should be completely decriminalized and have the same status as alcohol, as some states in the US have done.

Thats great that some jobs do or dont require. Welfare recipient should be one that does.

He's thinking, "here's an easy way to save money". You see it's only about the money.

What he should be doing is addressing the issues why people take drugs. But he don't give two hoots about that!

dang! where's my bong gone? I gotta start work driving a bus in 30 minutes. lol.

Great. Theres a 3rd reason on top of the 2 I provided earlier; it might reduce australians drug use

Imho if someone is putting themselves out there as job ready, then they shouldn't be posing a threat to a prospective employer's operations eg: drug or alcohol use does impair the ability to work and can compromise safety and workers compensation coverage.
If it's part of a pre-employment medical than maybe fair enough, but without reasonable and substantiated suspicion random drug tests are unethical IMHO.

I like the sound of this . Why would any normal person in the community want to be supporting a person on the dole using drugs . As for payments being made to people with outstanding warrants I find that beyond contempt..

I don't care a stuff if it's demeaning or invasion of privacy . Who ever thought of the idea should get a pat on the back from most working people .

Don't think it's about money saving, would probably cost more than it saves. I think it's more about a moral issue like why should somebody receive other peoples money to take drugs? and also the whole entitlement mentality.

The government shouldn't worry itself too much about the reasons people take drugs, we are all individuals and should be responsible for our own actions and these actions have repercussions. The last thing that anybody needs is a government babysitter.

But random drug test reverses the burden of proof, so shouldn't be done. better restrict dole payments for certain things.

Back