Tony Abbott talking about mandatory drug testing for dole recipients

Or just someone who cares about our rights like privacy. Most might be happy to give theirs away, but I'm not (and I don't do drugs, except for a double shot coffee every now and then).

This.

When tested for drug use for a job, etc, do they only test urine? Or can they test saliva too?

As a female, if I was randomly asked to provide pee for the purpose of a drug test and it happened to be 'that time of the month', they would be told exactly where they could shove their 'test' :mad:. Men will not understand or likely care, but for a woman to have to reveal that there may be blood, etc, in the test because she is menstruating would be highly embarrassing, humiliating and very much an invasion of privacy as far as I'm concerned.

I don't condone the use of illegal drugs, especially those purchased with tax payer's money, but I agree that in some instances, it would be an invasion of privacy.

All fine if testing can be done via saliva, though.

Just wondering :eek:
On the subject of losing a job - despite being good at it - that is unfortunately: life.

No Employer has a responsibility to employ anyone for life - only as long as the Company that employs the folks can sustain enough profits to keep those employees employed.

Sometimes Company Directors are greedy and skim a lot out, and sack folks down at the coal face and that is bad, but it is not the majority.

There are just as many "dead wood" employees doing the bare minimum on a daily basis and getting away with it for years, too....and they have the attitude that they are cleverer than the Boss, he's a rich pr*ck and can afford it, and so on...I've seen plenty of these folk in my time.

Larger corporations seem to be the biggest culprits at it as we see all the time in the media....CEO's with million(s) dollar golden handshakes while the share price plummets and 300 employees lose their jobs in the shop, etc.

At the end of the day, all you can do is do your job to the best of your ability, be loyal to the Company that is giving you money, and hope that it's enough to keep your job.

Is it fair that you can do all that and still wind up unemployed? No, but life isn't fair in many, many, varied ways, I can promise you that.

But, noone forced anyone to work there....you are free to go out and find a better company to work for, or start up your own, or buy another business.

Workers need to wake up to reality - many jobs are being lost - and there will be many more in the coming years due to several factors.

I've banged on many times here in recent years about the "cocktail" I see evolving in Aus for the "traditional" jobs we have all come to expect to be there as a right - there is no right to a job.

Two things will happen; either the Employers will move offshore to cut labour and/or production costs, or they will stay here and downsize staff and/or hours.

For most Australian companies - outside of purchasing of stock and materials - the single largest cost is staff.

We all wanted a Global economy and now we are seeing the results if it. We are not satisfied anymore to buy locally and pay a bit more for it.

We can't all buy everything online and continue to expect six figure salaries and job security for life...

This.

When tested for drug use for a job, etc, do they only test urine? Or can they test saliva too?.....

I don't condone the use of illegal drugs, especially those purchased with tax payer's money, but I agree that in some instances, it would be an invasion of privacy.
My BIL worked in one of the mines for a couple of years until recently.

They (men and women) were all expected to be 0.0 at start up each day, and random tests were conducted. It is a condition of employment.

Or; go and work somewhere else.

The insidious "me, me, me" attitude that is is evolving in this Country in relation to worker's rights is alarming; be thankful you have work. Do it well.

Try to be an asset to the Business you work for - not just "do your job" and expect it as a right.

From my experience in life; those who have that attitude end up as the Managers, the Bosses, the CEO's - if they wish to.

The other guys who don't; always seem to be the whingers in the tearoom who hate the Boss, and get paid the least.

Dad's lecture now ended.

Last edited:
As a female, if I was randomly asked to provide pee for the purpose of a drug test and it happened to be 'that time of the month', they would be told exactly where they could shove their 'test' :mad:. Men will not understand or likely care, but for a woman to have to reveal that there may be blood, etc, in the test because she is menstruating would be highly embarrassing, humiliating and very much an invasion of privacy as far as I'm concerned.

Better not get into mining then, we get random urine tests, and more than half my crew are females.

Can be embarrassing for the gents as well. Imagine the boss yelling out "hey buddy , you're shooting blanks" as you walk past him lol.

Back