'top 20' member, but.....

im new to this forum and to property investing with one ip.

i was struck by one post i read that had a member of this forum with about 1000 posts and a 'rating' of 'top 20' saying that he/she was yet to purchase an ip.

i guess its worth remembering that talk is cheap, and that 'top' ratings often mean little more than how prolific a poster you are.

does this forum really need member ratings??

Hiya Straight

I dont feel that the post numbers are a matter of how much someone has invested.

I see them simply as a level of contribution, as with all posts be they from someone with 10 mill ++ net worth who has a post count of 100, or somoeone with a post count of 10 000 with a net worth of 50 bucks.

As to what weight to assign to a post ? That really comess down to the individual post, regardless of who it is.

Thats just my 3 bobs worth

Ta

Rolf

Just to re-iterate what Rolf just said...

The user rank is NOT an indication of skill, knowledge, experience or any other such quantity.

It is purely a measure of their level of contribution to the forum - and that contribution itself does not imply skill, knowledge, experience, etc either. It merely means they are an active member of our community.

There is no accurate or meaningful way to objectively rank the skill, knowledge or experience of a person, so we don't try.

Please don't read anything in to the statistics we gather about the forum - it is not intended to provide any type of indication as you have implied. This has been covered many times before on the forum.

My post count is very high (Top 5) but the vast majority of my posts are about the forum itself and not about investing.

Likewise, some of the most experienced and knowledgable (and rich !) people I know do not post much at all - usually because they don't have time to do so. Their low level of contribution and correspondingly low "rank" does not indicate that they are any less qualified or knowledgable.

The ranking thing is nothing more than a statistic - and please do not assign any more meaning to it than that.

I hope this answers your question.

* Sim' puts on his best Darth Vader voice...

"Do not underestimate the power of the statistics... *wheeze* "

Short answer - I find statistics interesting even if nobody else does :p

i guess its worth remembering that talk is cheap, and that 'top' ratings often mean little more than how prolific a poster you are.

Dear Straight,

The information here is given freely. Would you place more value on it if the forum charged $15,000 for the same information?

Due diligence on the people you listen to is no different to the due diligence you should do at every step of your IP journey.

Enjoy the journey. ;)

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Sunstone said:
The information here is given freely. Would you place more value on it if the forum charged $15,000 for the same information?

please dont get me wrong, its because i value this forum highly that i think revising the 'top' rating is worthy of discussion. the quality of the debate here is 2nd to none i have read on any forum, let alone on a forum as important as personal investing.

it just occured to me that the 'top' rating didnt stand for anything, so why have it at all? i foolishly allowed myself to put more weight onto the comments of a 'top' rated person than was possibly justified, simply because of the 'top' rating.

im a noob and im happy for all to know, im not looking to cut anyone down here, its just a thought.
:D

Dear Straight,

Rolf is right. Don't knock yourself about. ;)

There are some people on here who's opinions are different to others. But educated and productive debate is always healthy.

The question you ask about top 20 people and actual investing is actually valid. To set your mind at ease, accordingly to my information only one person in the current top 20 has never owned an IP.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Last edited:
The Truth is Out There

Straight

Read quick before I am logged off! :(

You may have noticed all your replies are from "Moderaters". :confused:

They are like the "Mr Smith" of the Matrix here!

Always searching for those who dissent and forceably linking them to Forum Hell (otherwise know as share trading sites)

Never question a moderator or their post number or you end up ........Oh my God they found me!!!..:eek: AHHHH!!!

B L A N K S C R E E N

Seriously now, Welcome and enjoy the ride, Peter 147 :D

PS I love Moderaters :p

Straight,

As a "top" poster, I freely admit that my own knowledge and contributions don't count the same as a contributor who has *really* been there, and done that.

The investments I've made- bought and sold- I've freely told the forum about. I don't have a lot- probably now totalling $1.5M (excluding PPOR), and a long way from being $1M net worth.

So I'll defend my right to contribute, because I'm not hiding anything, and I don't stand to make anything at all by my contributions.

I also have had the feeling that, despite a small portfolio, I have had a wide range of experiences- that's a big part of what prompted me to start contributing more- especially when people gave positive feedback to things I'd said.

I do feel I have learnt heaps from being here. That's what led me to offering my contributions, such as they were, in the hope that other people could learn.

If you, or anyone else, have judged any opinion of mine for more than it is worth based on any post count, I am sorry.

Now, fwiw, at least I have grown my humble portfolio up from PPOR & 1IP in a low growth area, and a big tax debt, in 2000 (net worth about $100K) to about $800K net worth now (making allowance for recent declines). When I got hit for the tax debt, I could not possibility have imagined that I could ever have climbed out of the hole.

If I am wrong in the details of responses I make, I'm sorry. I'm just another member of a public forum giving my own opinion.

But please- there can be a way out of a deep hole, even if you're ever in that hole and can't see it.

If anybody reading my posts can at least get that much of value, then I've been able to give back a little of the immense value I've gained from being here.

(And I've never taken anybody else's opinion without doing my own due diligence).

The ones you have to worry about , are the ones who talk as though they know everything but are in reality just s... stirring d... heads. Some people take some of them seriously, because they do at times possess a degree of linguistic ability.

I always remember that wise saying.

If you can't convince them , baffle them with Bull S..t.

:eek:

Bottom line is Buyer ( reader ) beware.

See Change

see_change said:
The ones you have to worry about , are the ones who talk as though they know everything but are in reality just s... stirring d... heads. Some people take some of them seriously, because they do at times possess a degree of linguistic ability.

I always remember that wise saying.

If you can't convince them , baffle them with Bull S..t.

:eek:

Bottom line is Buyer ( reader ) beware.

See Change

Hehe, thanks for the tip See Change. I think i've spotted a couple of them, and maybe even one in the top 5! :eek:

stanley said:
Hehe, thanks for the tip See Change. I think i've spotted a couple of them, and maybe even one in the top 5! :eek:

I'll agree to disagree with you re the top five.

All of the top five contribute significantly to the forum and have for a long time.

... Or are you making a play for the SSDH club yourself ....... :D

See Change

see_change said:

See Change

Ain't that the truth!!
But really....
Who cares who has the most posts? This forum is a learning experience and wonderful resource for all who care to contribute. Let's not get bogged down by numbers here.

straight said:
im new to this forum and to property investing with one ip.

i was struck by one post i read that had a member of this forum with about 1000 posts and a 'rating' of 'top 20' saying that he/she was yet to purchase an ip.

does this forum really need member ratings??

Hi Straight,

I have generally found that the more I contribute to this forum, the more I learn......or as the world's most famous carpenter said, "give, and you shall receive".....it would be nice if this fella would post a few times in "Adding Value"....hahaa

Regarding the guys\girls that post continually but don't take the plunge.....get over it mate, they probably have some pretty good reasons why and a lot of those reasons could be too personal to discuss here.

Good hunting Straight......focus on your game!

Glenn

straight said:
please dont get me wrong, its because i value this forum highly that i think revising the 'top' rating is worthy of discussion. the quality of the debate here is 2nd to none i have read on any forum, let alone on a forum as important as personal investing.

it just occured to me that the 'top' rating didnt stand for anything, so why have it at all? .... :D

Dear Straight, you will find that many message boards have a methodology for recognizing the written contributions of their members (top poster / top ranking strata) as a means of rewarding ppls efforts for being involved... it's a small thing but it seems to be part of the psychology of message board construction. Adding any further meaning to it than that is unnecessary.

let it slip into the background

Cheers
Jase

Jase said:
Dear Straight, you will find that many message boards have a methodology for recognizing the written contributions of their members (top poster / top ranking strata) as a means of rewarding ppls efforts for being involved... it's a small thing but it seems to be part of the psychology of message board construction. Adding any further meaning to it than that is unnecessary.

let it slip into the background
I agree with Jase.

The best way to pick the most knowledgeable posters is to read their posts....it can take awhile however :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

So what if the board has features like the 'top 20'!

This board gives me an inexpensive way of comparing and contrasting my property investment beliefs, ideas and experiences with others of similar interest. I have benefited from the opinions of the many professionals and skilled investors on the forum and they have always been patient and courteous in their responses.

I have seen no evidence of fraud and I believe that there are many who would immediately challenge (and the board would block) if scamming was attempted. On the other hand I have seen forumites boldly question and where necessary ‘out’ those who would seek to take advantage of others.

If some do not own properties, that doesn’t necessarily diminish their opinions. Forumites who challenged property as a main vehicle, or even an appropriate vehicle for investment are more than welcome to give alternatives.

Without being heavy handed the moderators and other significant contributors have provided an environment that is frank, tolerant and forgiving. This is great because even people who are very experienced (and I’m not one of them) make errors and have blind spots.

The Somersoft Property Forum is a welcome change from boards where the contributors seem to be preoccupied with secondary gain and/or rudeness is the order of the day. :)

That must be at least a $1 worth!. :D

Back