Top most expensive cities in the world

It seems like countries where Chinese congregate properties are likely to follow suit and boom. A clear case for supply and demand, family formation and work culture. :D

What a very strange list... Port Moresby, Luanda, Kinshaa, Honiara ?
Maybe it's just a list of ripoff serviced apartment prices for Expats. Certainly not a cost of living list.

London at number 5 ? London is a cheap place now since the collapse of the pound, much cheaper than Zurich or Sydney.

I think it's because some of those cities are so dangerous the cost of a litre of milk or a loaf of bread is really high because of how much security, etc. is involved in getting it from source to your table.

I think it's because some of those cities are so dangerous the cost of a litre of milk or a loaf of bread is really high because of how much security, etc. is involved in getting it from source to your table.
Yes you're probably right. In Prague in 1990 before the tourist boom a beer was 10 cents, but the expat hotels wanted 250 USD (slept with a local family instead). Was in Sudan a few years ago, hotels there were more expensive than Zurich (we slept on a boat).

This is a very unusual list. NYC is definitely cheaper than Melbourne.

I can live in Brooklyn Heights cheaply and commute to Manhattan for work in 20 minutes. I can eat premium angus or kobe beef for US$50 whereas it'll cost me A$120 at Rockpool in Sydney/Melbourne/Perth.

Oh and I can buy a decent house for around US$1m, while in the equivalent in Sydney - say North Sydney - it'll cost me A$2m.

Also I am surprised not to see Oslo, Copenhagen etc make top 10. They are traditionally regarded as two of the most expensive cities followed by the likes of Moscow, Tokyo, Hong Kong. The next league is usually then Sydney, Shanghai, Beijing, Singapore etc and then Melbourne, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide etc. And Port Moresby?!?!

The Mercer list I saw a while back makes much more sense.

I always find these articles very misleading, because the most important factor to discuss related to the cost of cities is exactly how the research weights the index. A few minor changes to the measures can greatly impact the final outcome of what is more or less expensive.

These indexes generally don't take into account qualitative factors such as how happy the inhabitants are or other factors which have a direct impact on the desirability of the area relative to the cost.

Not surprised to see Canberra reach number 12 - it just keeps getting more expensive to live here.

I popped into a cafe to grab a take away coffee the other day and didn't get change from my $5.....that was a first.

Cheers

Jamie

Back