Top order fail again.

Atmosphere at the Gabba yesterday was electric. Barry Army v quiet. Hardly a trumpet. Best day's play I have seen there for a long time.

Atmosphere at the Gabba yesterday was electric. Barry Army v quiet. Hardly a trumpet. Best day's play I have seen there for a long time.

Agreed. Day 1 was a bit flat. Yesterday was brilliant. While I may have witnessed a better session of cricket, I'm struggling to recall one as good as that second session.

I don't think there's any reason to complain about the Australian batsmen today. A great knock after some great bowling yesterday.

Yep a nice and timely turnaround.

However...who actually turned this around?

My money is on Mitch Johnson.

Champion Bowler come batsman.;)

The 2 batters who got hundreds...well, that's their job.

First;
The Gabba, 1st day of 1st Ashes Test in Australia and as usual, for the last fair few years now, the Aussie top order batsmen are failing and have to rely on the excellent depth in batting we have in the tail end.

About time the top order actually do what they are supposed to do and get runs...on a consistent basis.

Is there an inherent problem that can be identified here?

It's been happening for years now.
Some good (?) batting names in there but is The Pup the only one getting runs? (not today tho)

:(

Then;
The 2 batters who got hundreds...well, that's their job.
Instead of giving them the ho-hum when they succeed, shouldn't we be celebrating and applauding their success by saying;

"Fantastic centuries by the batsmen".

Especially after they've had a run of poor form; takes a lot of character to come back so well from that.

I'm not giving them the ho hum!

Simply stating that the top order has underperformed consistently for a number of years.

It's their job to score runs.

The bowlers have been scoring the runs when it's their job to bowl.

I'm totally happy for Warner and Clark, fantastic yes!

But it's the consistency.....

Anyway, a great turnaround, let's see if they can keep it up. As they should.

BV, you love to turn things around don't you.

I did acknowledge the turnaround but you focused on just one line from my post. Naughty naughty.

It's the brilliant performance from Mitch Johnson that has turned this test in favour of the Aussies. Warner and Clark have simply gone out and done their jobs to support and reinforce the inspiration of Johnson and his fellow bowlers.

Not to mention Brad Hadden. Another very good performer on a consistent basis.

Our strength is in our utility players and bowling, not the top order.
It's time for them to score big runs consistently, and not be getting out cheaply.

An anecdote for ya's all - to warm the cricket blood before today's session;

I was asked to fill in for one of our local junior cricket teams when I was about 15 - they were short a few players and in desperation I got a call. :D

I didn't play cricket anymore by this time (heavily into golf and tennis by then), but a few of my mates and I always played beach cricket down at the river bank, and I could actually make contact occasionally.

Our format in the Junior local comp was 2 overs of batting and then retire so everyone could have a go.

Anyway, I went in, and after a couple of balls, the other batter got out (bowled) on the last ball of the over.

So, the next batter came in - who happened to be Simon O'Donnell.

Simon lived in our town, but went away to school and only came home on hols. This was one of the times, and he immediately got slotted into the team.

So anyway, I get to face the first ball of the over (8 ball overs) and scored a single. Simon was now on strike.

He made 28 runs off the remaining 7 balls (he scored a 3 and I got to face another ball and made another single), so his 28 was off 6 balls. I was basically a bystander witnessing him do all the work.

It was amazing to watch him smash the ball everywhere, and 3 of them were two sixes and a four (3 balls in a row) - straight back over the bowler's head; the bowler was one of our better junior fast bowlers at the time.

I retired at the end of that over, but got to watch him do a similar thing in his 2nd over.

How would anyone like to stand at the crease facing Johnson?

Not me...:eek:

This is great stuff, and glad the batsmen are reading SS...:D
they're not...I sent Micho and Clarko a text and told 'em if they don't get into gear that The Fence will kick their@rses! :D

Good...thanks BV!

I'm so pleased for. Mitch Johnson though, he represents the fire in the belly we need to dominate cricket again.

All the great teams had most of the members with that fire.

I grew up with the likes of Lillie/Thomo v Richards/Haynes etc. etc.

The golden era I call it.

But today hopefully is the start of a new era for Aussie cricket. Don't underestimate England though, they will be filthy, bemused and frightened tonight!

I think its funny that Aussie fan whingers think that other teams dont study our line up and change / recruit new team players to compensate.

So instead of the cricketers sitting on the fence it will be the other way round.
I was thinking that The Fence would smack them over The Fence. :D

I think its funny that Aussie fan whingers think that other teams dont study our line up and change / recruit new team players to compensate.
Exactly, and England hasn't been sitting around not training and recruiting over the last several years, either.

What a sport followed by unsophisticated bogans played By a bunch of bogans
Steve and Mark Waugh, Bill Lawry, Richie Benaud, Clive LLoyd, Sir Viv Richards, Greg Chappell....

The list goes on and on of World Class cricketers who aren't bogans.

But at the local Club level....

Am happy to ruffle a few feathers

But

What a sport followed by unsophisticated bogans played By a bunch of bogans

I'd suggest that there is a bogan element in many sports. People in Somme of the football codes seem to appear much more often in headlines for heavy drinking, drink driving or bad behaviour than cricketers. High level swimmers have not been immune either.

As a spectator sport, cricket is much more subtle, and I can see why many people don't go for it. I find it's more like a chess game than many sports. But a game where people go to drink all day is going to attract its share of bogans.

Back