Topics that should be banned on Somersoft

What new topics should be banned on the forum?

• Negative Gearing

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Western Sydney

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Steve Keen

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Religion

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • Politics

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frankston

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Bad Property managers

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Bad Real Estate agents

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Harry Dent

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Propery spruikers

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Topics with polls that do not make sense

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have you ever clicked on the "New Posts" button and had a dozen new posts pop up that make no sense, or are factually incorrect, or very opinionated.

Sometimes things get our of hand and keyboards get broken. The "roles eyes" smiles button gets pressed more often that not, & the moderators start deleting posts...

To lower the general blood pressure, and increase the health of the SS forum - What new topics do you think should be banned?*

----
* - Tongue-in-cheek is a figure of speech used to imply that a statement or other production is humorously or otherwise not seriously intended, and it should not be taken at face value. The facial expression typically indicates that one is joking or making a mental effort

Last edited:
Whole idea of a forum is to discuss things right?
And the mechanics of which dictate that the last contributed post shows first.
So, posts that are crap will sink to the bottom and fade away in due course.
Sounds fair to me.

None. As long as threads are posted in their right categories then the problem, if there is one, isn't the topics, it's the people. Perhaps we should all just learn to get along instead and everything will be fine?

In any case, it actually looks pretty benign to me around here these days?

The only threads that annoy me are when the OP asks a question ... gets a straight answer from several knowledgeable members ... doesn't like the answers so get snarky and personal.

If you don't want to know the answer - don't ask the question

We used to have three verboten topics: religion, politics, Neil Jenman.

These days, we try and be a bit more tolerant and as open as possible - but given the emotive nature of some topics and the inability of some members to refrain from resorting to name calling, some topics get a lot more moderator attention than others and often up getting closed, heavily edited, or just deleted - depending on how out of control they get.

Surely the topic must have some relevance to property investing, preferably the more general the better.

A topic like politics that affects almost every Australian investor on a daily basis (with taxes, laws, policy settings) I would have thought would naturally be right up there with the most important for all investors.

Why politics would be banned or discouraged on a property forum is beyond me.

I'm struggling to see the link between religion and property investing, unless one was actively seeking to buy and rent out places of worship.....so it seems like a topic that should be restricted here on a property forum.

Surely the topic must have some relevance to property investing, preferably the more general the better.

Yes, for any discussion not in the coffee lounge.

A topic like politics that affects almost every Australian investor on a daily basis (with taxes, laws, policy settings) I would have thought would naturally be right up there with the most important for all investors.

Even the weather has relevance to property investing (in so far as it affects flood zones, creates bushfire risk, etc) - that doesn't mean we should all be sitting around discussing meteorology.

General politics is fairly far removed from the day-to-day considerations of most property investors. The latest corrupt union official, or questionable opinions of actions of some back-bencher, or the latest statistics on how many kids we now have in detention centres - have almost nothing to do with what we do as investors.

Why politics would be banned or discouraged on a property forum is beyond me.

Only banned/discouraged from the point of view that it tends to generate flame-wars which lowers the tone of the forum and generates animosity which often spills over into other threads. It's not politics itself which is the problem - its the emotion it evokes in some posters who can't help but post in such a way as to cause problems on the forum.

As I said, we try to be as lenient as possible these days - we no longer have a blanket-ban on such discussion, but will still act when required to keep a thread from getting out of control.

I'm struggling to see the link between religion and property investing, unless one was actively seeking to buy and rent out places of worship.....so it seems like a topic that should be restricted here on a property forum.

One might almost suggest that your passion for politics is almost religious in its fervour Dazz :D

That's not necessarily a bad thing - I respect people who are passionate about things they care deeply about.

However it can go too far too - people with extreme passion for politics can sometimes become zealots who are just as narrow minded as religious zealots are. I'm not accusing you of such Dazz :p - just trying to make a point that in some ways there are many parallels between religion and politics and the effect they have on people.

What new topics do you think should be banned?*

• Anything property related
  • Talk of bubbles
  • Talk of bursting bubbles
  • Talk of investing in bubbles
  • Talk of scrapping Negative Gearing
  • Talk of scrapping stamp duty
  • Anything about 100%+ loans
  • Transferring current residential property to SMSF
  • Transferring residential property from SMSF (prior to pension stage)
  • Investing in any country which doesn't have a crown guaranteed system of tenure (or similar guarantees as in Oz)
  • Steven Keen's predictions for 2015 etc or the need for a massive correction in the property market

Oh, there goes the forum. ;)

Last edited:
talk about prescious.........

its actually better that a spruiker comes on and advertises,

as they will be questioned and/or shot down

which educates other readers

We used to have three verboten topics: religion, politics, Neil Jenman.

These days, we try and be a bit more tolerant and as open as possible - but given the emotive nature of some topics and the inability of some members to refrain from resorting to name calling, some topics get a lot more moderator attention than others and often up getting closed, heavily edited, or just deleted - depending on how out of control they get.

Hi Sim,

This is obviously a joke Poll for a bit of fun...one thing I wanted to let you know is some of the post/replies started to appear before the poll/thread was actually posted and wasn't finished...something to be checked!? Thanks

I remember a few years ago someone wanted to ban any property bears or negative nellies on the forum ( was it Xenia?) as they were not like minded people and did not belong on the forum.

Mods are doing a good job. Let them sort the crapola as and when it arises.

Handbags!

I'm sick and tired of coming on here and all people are talking about is handbags. It's a property forum for FSM's sake!

Back