Topics that should be banned on Somersoft

What new topics should be banned on the forum?

• Negative Gearing

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Western Sydney

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Steve Keen

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Religion

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • Politics

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frankston

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Bad Property managers

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Bad Real Estate agents

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Harry Dent

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Propery spruikers

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Topics with polls that do not make sense

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I remember a few years ago someone wanted to ban any property bears or negative nellies on the forum ( was it Xenia?) as they were not like minded people and did not belong on the forum.

Mods are doing a good job. Let them sort the crapola as and when it arises.

Crikey... that's a name I've not seen for a long time. Does anybody know what Xenia is doing these days?

'None of the above' for me.

I think the forum is great. It's pretty easy to not participate in a topic if you don't want to, although personally I find it hard sometimes :)

SS is a good collection of general smart people and it's wonderful to bounce ideas off the SS brainstrust, just like the internet used to be before everybody figured out how to access it. I just can't have the same depth of enjoyable discussion on any other board.

Some people get a bit emotional when discussing certain topics, but that doesn't mean we should ban the topics...

Some people get a bit emotional when discussing certain topics, but that doesn't mean we should ban the topics...

So we ban the people instead? ;)

My pov fwiw, is that if you don't like a particular post or topic (or even a particular poster) then ignore it / them (sometimes easier said than done).

Last edited:
The posts that annoy me is when people come looking for specific information that they could obtain by contacting *insert involved body here*.

Such as "I sold my house, will I still get the disability pension?" or "I want to install an air con unit, will body corp allow it?"

How about contacting centrelink, body corp etc etc as they're the ones that will be able to answer your question.

/End rant.

So we ban the people instead? ;)

Hehehe... let's just stick with the current system for now of banning/removing their posts.

The great thing about discussing/arguing on the internet is that it trains people to keep their emotions under control otherwise they end up immortalised as a fool :)

The posts that annoy me is when people come looking for specific information that they could obtain by contacting *insert involved body here*.

Such as "I sold my house, will I still get the disability pension?" or "I want to install an air con unit, will body corp allow it?"

How about contacting centrelink, body corp etc etc as they're the ones that will be able to answer your question.

/End rant.

I'll add - it would be great if they came back to the same forum they sought to 'take' from after they have called up Centrelink / The Body Corp / etc and 'give back' with the new knowledge they have.

But Dave, we all know the answers to these and other dumb questions. We lead them round and round then up and down the garden path for the fun of it ;)

She hasn't visited in almost three years.

Not sure if I'm the only one who experiences this, but I find SS distracting and almost addictive .... but fun.

When I embark on new projects I do not allow myself to be distracted by anything, SS, ringing doorbells, barking dogs, kids, alarms, earthquakes (well some were slightly exaggerated but you get the picture) so I get more work done when I do not allow those distractions. (kids are an exception).

Must be a long arsed project. :rolleyes:

She was certainly an 'interesting' character....

'None of the above' for me.

I think the forum is great. It's pretty easy to not participate in a topic if you don't want to, although personally I find it hard sometimes :)

SS is a good collection of general smart people and it's wonderful to bounce ideas off the SS brainstrust, just like the internet used to be before everybody figured out how to access it. I just can't have the same depth of enjoyable discussion on any other board.

A big +1 from me. I really enjoy debate where people defend their position but it doesn't get personal. Being able to formulate and deliver an argument without getting emotional is a key skill for intelligent and mature humans.

Sometimes it's difficult to say anything non positive about certain people without getting an email from their lawyers. I'm not saying this about anybody mentioned already in this thread of course.

Back