Toxic tap water in Australia

Oh, Blacky, you're singing my song! Don't people think it's just a bit precious :eek: to complain that our water may not be perfect, or that it may give them a 5% higher chance of breaking a bone in their 80s or whatever, when so many people don't have access to any potable water?

Yes, I don't understand why skepticism isn't applied consistently. If the government and 99% of scientists say that adding something to the water supply is good for you, and give you a raft of double-blind, peer-reviewed studies supporting their position, a significant portion of the population will refuse to accept it as true. :confused:

Yet if an alternative health practitioner tells somebody that taking a new wonder preparation from the health food shop will "detox" their bodies, and one study suggests that it's at least "not false", they can't wait to tell everybody they know about this miracle!

We are so blessed in this country. We have a benevolent government (of whatever party, not the present one in particular), incredible access to top quality health care, ample safe and healthy food and water, quality housing, comprehensive education, a high degree of law and order, and a raft of other privileges. (But besides that, what have the Romans ever done for us? :D)

If I'm going to get outraged about a social injustice, I'm going to get passionate about the conditions of people in the third world, not poor Westerners having their fluoride levels regulated in the water supply. (And the level of fluoride in our water is lower than that found in nature in many parts of the world; we're simply ensuring a consistent safe exposure level, rather than adding something which doesn't exist in nature.)

And yes, I know it's not "either/or", that you can want people in the third world to have potable water and want us to have a perfect water supply (though how you achieve that when we can't agree on what "perfect" is, I have no idea). I just couldn't get outraged about it without feeling that I was being a bit - OK, a lot - too fastidious and entitled. :eek:

I dunno Perp.

To apply your theory consistently, do we then have to "shutup" and not complain about pretty much anything here when thereare so many worse examples in the world

Don't worry about corruption / social problems / drug issues, cause no way are we as bad as other countries... etc are any of these things an issue when they are so many times worse in so many other countries....

How do we maintain what we are lucky enough to have if we don't care enough about it to notice things going on ?

There's always worse off places, but do we say ignore the frug problem here cause it's by no means as bad as Mexico so "who cares ?"

Remember once upon a time, when DDT was considered safe.

No I am not suggesting that that fluoride = as harmful as DDT.

I actually dont know either way.

But surely you're not suggesting we have never done the wrong thing beofre and therfore shoud have full and blind faith in what awe are always told

....... Witzl is waiting for the "daylight savings is causing my curtains to prematurely fade" thread :D

Verdict:

1659264-pointless_thread_super.jpg

ive been drinking sydney tap water (with flouride added) since i can remember. Never liked bottled water, unless it was an empty bottle filled with good old tap water.
Never drank filtered water.... yep i love tap water.

At almost 30, i have never broken a bone despite playing contact sports my entire life, have very strong and healthy teeth, havent had any major dental issues and seem pretty damn healthy all round.

Im quite happy we have flourided water over here. Doesnt seem to make anyone sick, and there are over 4 million people drinking the tap water here??

Do you remeber the Cryptosporidium (spelling :eek:) debacle in Sydney?

I remember one day playing cricket going and drinking straight from the tap after a session in the centre (probably got 4 or so runs that was my usual form...) and when the team said what the hell are you doing I said it's probably no worse today than a week / year etc ago. I did not get sick back then so why would I now?

We had people taking time off work with apparent water poisoning and then a few weeks later we find out it had been in the water for years and it was dead anyway just still in the water! The big cover up etc. Shame no one got called up for the sudden hypocondria associated with the media releasing news of it.

I never used to drink tap water with fluoride in it, but now I do. I've noticed that since I started drinking fluoride water, I can shoot lasers from my eyes. Pretty sweet!

ive been drinking sydney tap water (with flouride added) since i can remember. Never liked bottled water, unless it was an empty bottle filled with good old tap water.
Never drank filtered water.... yep i love tap water.

At almost 30, i have never broken a bone despite playing contact sports my entire life, have very strong and healthy teeth, havent had any major dental issues and seem pretty damn healthy all round.

Im quite happy we have flourided water over here. Doesnt seem to make anyone sick, and there are over 4 million people drinking the tap water here??

Some of the main effects of fluoride is making people dumb and docile. The Nazis used in it concentration camps to keep the public dopey and slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is cheaper than drinking from the tap. I'm am old phart and it hasn't done me no harm.

BTW have I mentioned lately that drinking flouride is harmless?

We are on rain water at home, so nobody in this house is getting flouride. So I like to drink from the tap when in town to get a bit of flouride. Plus, I refuse to buy water. I have never paid for water in a plastic bottle, I'm always looking for some public drinking water or something. I'll even drink from a tap in a public loo if I can't find any other free water, do it all the time.

We give the kids a flouride pill too occasionally, and when they visit the dentist he does the same.

It's funny how many nutters are on this forum. You'd think they'd find a forum with similar people and talk all day long about conspiracies and monsanto wanting to kill everyone and alien probing and other stuff?

See ya's.

We are on rain water at home, so nobody in this house is getting flouride. So I like to drink from the tap when in town to get a bit of flouride. Plus, I refuse to buy water. I have never paid for water in a plastic bottle, I'm always looking for some public drinking water or something. I'll even drink from a tap in a public loo if I can't find any other free water, do it all the time.

We give the kids a flouride pill too occasionally, and when they visit the dentist he does the same.

It's funny how many nutters are on this forum. You'd think they'd find a forum with similar people and talk all day long about conspiracies and monsanto wanting to kill everyone and alien probing and other stuff?

See ya's.

Indeed.

*tried to resist temptation to quote his own self*

*fails*

I work both in the Resi and non-Resi investment sphere. One of the cultural distinctions that I find absolutely fascinating is the difference in attitude in these groups around psuedo-science, seminars, wacky books (The Secret, for example), astrology, miracle cures, alternative medicine, and all manner of woo-woo.

Is it just me or does resi property investing appeal to a disproportionate % of suckers?

TF

We have a ceramic water filter for our drinking water.

Some friends were staying the day that my wife was cleaning the filter. Her friend was horrified at the appearance and the amount of muck on the filter.

She asked how often it was cleaned, "weekly", she was stunned at how much gunk accumulated on the filter in so short a time.

As another friend has said, if people who drink tap water ever see the amount of cr*p a filter removes, they would never drink tap water again.

We have a ceramic water filter for our drinking water.

Some friends were staying the day that my wife was cleaning the filter. Her friend was horrified at the appearance and the amount of muck on the filter.

She asked how often it was cleaned, "weekly", she was stunned at how much gunk accumulated on the filter in so short a time.

As another friend has said, if people who drink tap water ever see the amount of cr*p a filter removes, they would never drink tap water again.

I've seen the same thing in my parent's water filter - they have similar concerns. In a previous life I had a bit to do with the activated carbon market, taking advantage of many of these ideas, although fortunately the utility of that product is far wider than just drinking water.

I imagine there would be pretty amazing findings if people filtered out their can of Coke / beer / wine / coffee etc etc before drinking it as well. Not to mention their food. We ingest all sorts of stuff that isn't necessarily bad for us and and not just through our drinking water. I don't see endemic illness across our society as a result (other than in the obese perhaps but I'm not sure that's about the water)... Filtering your drinking water and then reaching for just about any packaged snack food or drink on a supermarket shelf just doesn't make any sense to me...

But if you organically grow all your own vegies, grow and mill your own organic wheat for your loaf of bread each morning, slaughter your own organic livestock and drink the milk from your own organic cow (all the while importing the required organic matter and nutrients to make all this work from real farmers) - then filtering your drinking water maybe should be next on your list. Just remember to add a fluoride tablet occasionally...

Today Tonight? Why didn't you say so. There I was...about to waste time looking it up in scientific journals.

Every conspiracy has it's advocates with a PhD. You might want to check out Dr Susheela's CV and note that she has a dog in this race.

Look up my original post with a video, has nothing to do with TT.

Anyway, it's your life... next time you are in a hospital or a on a death bed, I wish you luck... pump up the morphine dosage, if that fails, there is a large number of synthetic opiods available for the terminally ill.

The only time I drink bottle water is if I am down town and buying a drink, or if I'm visiting DH's family (in Singleton and Weewaa). I cann't stomach the Bore water and singleton town water makes me throw up. But otherwise, it may taste a bit different in different towns, but it's all good. When camping I've been known to refill water bottles direct from the clear running streams and waterfalls - nothing tastes better and fresher then that. :)

It's important to make the distinction between fluoride and chlorine. Although both are halogens, the fluoride is actually good for your teeth. Chlorine, on the other hand, is mean t to kill bacteria and is added to town water and to swimming pools.

Personally I hate the "taste" of chlorine in town water. I find that water filters eliminate this taste, despite what Sunfish says. Not sure exactly how the science works, but I prefer filtered water for this reason.

Back