Trailer problem

Just done my first reno on an IP, went a bit longer than expected but it is on the market for rent now. Anyday i should have a tenant. But I got a little problem.

I purchased a trailer on ebay at the start of the project. It was fantastic and I don't think I could have done the reno without it.

However, i had never owned a trailer before and the guy who sold it to me dropped it off one night and cash in hand it was a deal.

I since realised there was a chance it was a stolen trailer. It didn't have a plate (i was under the impression only heavy trailers needed them, this is a 7x5 caged trailer single axel with 200kg net weight on the metal plate)

I don't fancy my chances of finding the seller and I don't have his number, to request proof of his ownership. Ebay records only last 30 days and I went back to print the details but it was gone.

I possibly have a stolen trailer in my possession at the moment.

Any advice anyone?

Thanks Bob

VIC road website says under 200kg without trailer rego, the thing must not be wider than towing vehicle but it is. And it also suggest on transaction there should be ownership transfer paperwork. I didn't know it before.

I will make a plate before i use it again.

You have a car that is narrower than 5 feet?
or a trailer that is short and fat?
vicroads said:
All light trailers over 200 kg tare and all boat trailers other than exempt trailers must be registered for use on the road.
99.999% (well most anyway) trailers are built <=200kg because they dont have to be registered
Your detail plate states 200kg >> does not require registration,
all the other requirements in victoria should be stamped on the detail plate with the tare
including a vin or Rn which will allow you to trace the owner if stolen

If it's still got numbers or an Id plate or similar then it's probably not even stolen anyway , he's not gonna leave those on it !
Rego , dunno , up to you . I've got a 7x4 and I never rego that . Never been a prob - touch wood.

Cheers

Back