Transportable Homes

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on transportable homes.

Background - We seen this house on the weekend, wasn't that interested as it didn't meet our criteria as being "solid build". But speaking to the agent today i mentioned we would only be interested if the property paid for itself and them some, and then mentioned a very low price.
The REA seems keen to get the property off the books (second for sale campaign), and said he will see what he can get out of the vendor.

Do people see Transportable as something to steer clear from, should i expect greater maintenance issues? I’d assume the resale would be an issue but if we are getting it a basement price...

I find this comment interesting. Half of karratha is transportable and i have never had a lender so much as even ask the question?

as is PH and many other places.

Most lenders dont like em for build ( once complete a little less hassle) but by def a transportable doesnt present a fixed asset ..........

ta
rolf

Thanks for your replies. Didn't think to much about finance, it would be interesting to see if the valuer would discount due to the building being a transportable.

as is PH and many other places.

Most lenders dont like em for build ( once complete a little less hassle) but by def a transportable doesnt present a fixed asset ..........

ta
rolf

was kind of thinking down the track a bit, it would be easy to move the transportable and build new. considering the block is a decent size.

Not sure if this may be of interest - [email protected]

They build prefab granny flats up to 60m2 for 2 bedders

You'd have to do a Section-68 Application for a Transportable Home in NSW. They cant be approved under the State-Wide SEPP (10-day granny flat approval) Legislation.

If you're building it in a rural area or an a Council area that allows 'relocatable' or transportable homes, they can be a good solution BUT, and this is just my experience of it so far-

They are not a lot cheaper (overall) than a non-transportable option. Reason is your site costs will bring the price up plus the overall look and quality is always less as follows:
1. Frames are usually cheap radiata pine at 65mm
2. Roof pitches are quite low (10 degrees or so) to allow transportation.
3. Insulation and overall structural integrity is relatively low.

All that being said, they can be good for some applications. Just do the comparative math and don't be fooled by seemingly cheap pricing. The company doesn't care about your approval and site costs nor your approval chances.

You should always get Council's preliminary approval before you buy.

we should also bear in mind that relocating a transportable that has been fixed in site, concrete paths, carports, landscaped etc can be moved about as practically as any other house. My point being that just because a house is site built doesn't mean the security can't be moved

Mobile homes are definitely cheaper but they do not increase in value like traditional homes. So if you are after profit dont expect this to happen. Mobile homes are more of short term solutions for quick and affordable housing.

Mobile homes are definitely cheaper but they do not increase in value like traditional homes. So if you are after profit dont expect this to happen. Mobile homes are more of short term solutions for quick and affordable housing.

I disagree with all of that. Mobile homes are often dearer and they increase (and decrease) just like any other house. Are we taking about the same thing? If you send a mobile home all the way to Karratha you certainly wouldn't be looking to move it in a hurry... or as Taylor Dane says, like never... ever, ever

I always thought it was the land that inceased in value, can't say I seen any building worth much more over time.

Back