Traralgon - streets to avoid

Any Traralgon (Vic) locals?

I'm looking into buying an IP in Traralgon, although not being a local am unsure of the good and bad parts of town. I'm currently looking at units close to the CBD on Bank St. The West End seems to be popular given schools and parks.

Any opinions or tips?

Anything north to west of main street and north of the highway. another area just south of highway but also west of the main street is good. But the west end is good as close to schools etc.

my tip is anywhere near the dog track!! go number 8!! just kidding never been there?! whats it like probably not much to do exept than have beer at the track?!

You won't go wrong anywhere there. Even in the commission areas of Traralgon East, you will buy for less, therefore rent for less. Personally, I prefer the better parts of town though.

I'm looking at units on Bank St, close to the CBD. Is it a busy road? I'm thinking the convenience might compensate for the noise, although I'm unsure if its worth it.

Slightly off topic but why would you buy in Traralgon when Morwell, Moe and Churchill all have roughly 1% better yield?

My question is probably naive so don't worry about being tactful when answering :p

It seems Traralgon is more "upmarket" (for want of a better phrase) than Morwell. It also seems Morwell is saturated with rental properties. Churchill does look OK, but I think Traralgon seems to be the central town and more of a "stayer" than the others. Larger population, may have slightly less rental yield, but I think in the long run it has more going for it and a better chance of capital growth than the other towns.

Churchill is a s*#!hole and morwell is significantly worse!!

Rumour is some people in traralgon actually have jobs!

(ok, maybe a little unfair, but you get the idea)

Does anyone here have IPs in Traralgon? What's your experience so far? A worthy investment? Seems theres a lot of industry and plans for more coal power plants, etc, hence the attraction.

It seems Traralgon is more "upmarket" (for want of a better phrase) than Morwell. It also seems Morwell is saturated with rental properties. Churchill does look OK, but I think Traralgon seems to be the central town and more of a "stayer" than the others. Larger population, may have slightly less rental yield, but I think in the long run it has more going for it and a better chance of capital growth than the other towns.

I would agree with all that except I'd put Churchill below both Moe and Morwell.

Churchill is less than 1/2 the size of either. It's a backwater very dependent on the uni. During my visit there the only life in town was at the skateboard ramp and an attempt to get international students was not successful as there is nothing of interest for them. Unlike the other towns in the valley Churchill is off the rail line and main roads.

There have however been some recent improvements, eg the shopping centre, although that giant cigar is a monstrosity. Also the housing commision area (Glendonald Park) has been the subject of a community renewal project that lasts until 2009 http://www.neighbourhoodrenewal.vic.gov.au/projects/latrobe_valley?133320_result_page=10

The better parts of Churchill, to the west of the shopping centre, is neat enough and has solid but ordinary 1960s cream brick houses. There's no 'character' architecture like you'd get in the inner parts of Traralgon. Churchill seems to lack many services you have in towns of similar size elsewhere due to it being relatively close to Morwell and Traralgon.

Though the socio-economic status of Moe and Morwell is low and Churchill might be a little better, I'd still say the former two have better prospects than Churchill as they're larger centres, have larger retail sectors and are on the main transport routes.

$1bn at risk if state does not release coal
Mathew Murphy
May 23, 2009
AT LEAST a billion dollars of investment and thousands of jobs could be lost if the Victorian Government continues to prolong or rejects the release of coal for a Latrobe Valley project using an Australian-devised clean-coal technology.
Japan's ITOCHU Corporation yesterday became the latest cornerstone partner for clean-coal company Exergen's Continuous Hydrothermal De-watering technology, a patented Australian process that removes contaminants and moisture from brown coal and transforms it into export-quality thermal coal. The process reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 40 per cent.
ITOCHU's investment of up to $20 million establishes it as the fourth partner in the project alongside India's largest private power utility, Tata Power, Australia's Thiess and engineering services company Sedgman.
More than $1 billion of investment has already been committed as Exergen seeks a fifth and final cornerstone partner to help deliver 12 million tonnes a year of clean coal from the Latrobe Valley for export over the project's 40-year life.
But Exergen chief executive Jack Hamilton told BusinessDay the project could disappear offshore unless the Victorian Government provided a supply of up to 2 billion tonnes of coal.
"We are looking at locations inside Victoria but also outside the state," Dr Hamilton said. "It suits me personally to bring it to Victoria … We need the coal resource to underpin it and they are sitting on 19 billion tonnes of unallocated coal. It is a project that also requires no infrastructure investment from the Government."
India's Tata is set to double its coal imports from 10 million tonnes as it builds two power stations. It has signed an offtake agreement with Exergen for 8 million tonnes from 2014 onwards but has been making contingency plans in case Exergen is unable to supply the coal.
"We hope to have the project up and running by 2014 to meet that demand but ideally we will have to have sign off on the coal supply by (the end of the year)," Dr Hamilton said. "Does it all fall off a cliff at the end of the year? Well, Tata has three or four other companies it can go to if our project doesn't get up, so we will continue to wait and see."
Federal Resources Minister Martin Ferguson hailed the technology's potential to create "thousands of jobs" and "a brand new industry" in Victoria when he visited Exergen's successful pilot plant at Beaconsfield in Tasmania last year.
"This technology has significant potential for Victoria in particular," he said. "It could deliver emissions reductions which have been out of reach until now. The Exergen technology also holds the promise of Victoria joining the ranks of Australia's coal-exporting states."
Victorian Resources Minister Peter Batchelor has so far refused to give the green light for the project despite more than eight months of discussions, saying the Government is still talking to Exergen about the coal supply.
"The Government is taking action to encourage investment in the Latrobe Valley and through various initiatives has stimulated domestic and international interest in the sustainable development of our coal resource," he said.

Gerd

Back