Travel Insurance

My NAB credit card gives me quite generous international travel insurance coverage as long as I make the purchase with my card. Even paying a CC surcharge, it has worked out cheaper than getting separate travel insurnace.

My NAB credit card gives me quite generous international travel insurance coverage as long as I make the purchase with my card. Even paying a CC surcharge, it has worked out cheaper than getting separate travel insurnace.

For the family also?

For the family also?

For the credit card we use, their sites T&C says:

If you are eligible for this insurance then this insurance is also available to your spouse and your dependent child/children (but not children born on the journey), who travel with you for the entire journey, provided their overseas travel tickets were also obtained by use of an eligible card.

The Y-man

Thanks,

Only going around the coast of Australia and not international, but apparently you still need overseas travel insurance

Do read the credit card travel insurance very carefully as they vary from card to card. Sometimes it's an amount per person that needs to be spent on the card, and sometimes it won't cover parts of the trip.

We use an annual travel insurance policy from CoverMore

My best friend works for Allianz and has always written my policies for me so I never concern myself too much with it.... BUT I was overseas on a tour last October when the news reported an Aussie kid fell from a balcony and the parents were raising funds via Facebook to have him brought home. On the coach our first reaction was "why did the stupid kid not have insurance". Then we found out he DID... Here is the kicker ...he had alcohol in his system... Insurance void.

One of the ladies on our tour told us of a story of a friend of hers who had similar story. 50 something lady on a coach tour. Went out for dinner in Rome, had a couple of glasses of wine over dinner, came outside and tripped on cobblestones :(. Twisted ankle badly (torn ligaments etc) and some cuts and bruises ...2 nights in an Italian hospital. Insurance wiped her because..yep you guessed it..alcohol in her system on admission.

So the message we took away from that was... Just be bloody careful you don't get hurt :(

Other than that all insurance it pretty much of a muchness

My best friend works for Allianz and has always written my policies for me so I never concern myself too much with it.... BUT I was overseas on a tour last October when the news reported an Aussie kid fell from a balcony and the parents were raising funds via Facebook to have him brought home. On the coach our first reaction was "why did the stupid kid not have insurance". Then we found out he DID... Here is the kicker ...he had alcohol in his system... Insurance void.

One of the ladies on our tour told us of a story of a friend of hers who had similar story. 50 something lady on a coach tour. Went out for dinner in Rome, had a couple of glasses of wine over dinner, came outside and tripped on cobblestones :(. Twisted ankle badly (torn ligaments etc) and some cuts and bruises ...2 nights in an Italian hospital. Insurance wiped her because..yep you guessed it..alcohol in her system on admission.

So the message we took away from that was... Just be bloody careful you don't get hurt :(

Other than that all insurance it pretty much of a muchness

Just my thought when it came it those posters about 'credit card insurance'.

Someone else told me that those 'credit card insurance' isn't worth the paper its written on because of all the fine print (but makes a nice marketing speel).

End of the day, you pay for what you get (so long as you don't get ripped off by the speel of paying high but not getting much when legals are taken into account).

IV doesn't have the answer. He has 'credit card insurance', and also takes out travel insurance. Hopefully one will cover???????

Just my thought when it came it those posters about 'credit card insurance'.

Someone else told me that those 'credit card insurance' isn't worth the paper its written on because of all the fine print (but makes a nice marketing speel).

End of the day, you pay for what you get (so long as you don't get ripped off by the speel of paying high but not getting much when legals are taken into account).

IV doesn't have the answer. He has 'credit card insurance', and also takes out travel insurance. Hopefully one will cover???????

I pretty much have the same thought. I have my annual cover plus the credit card and hope someone pays.

For us annual cover ended up being cheaper and it also covered me for small interstate trips too (inc hire car etc) so handy.

I am yet to claim - touch wood - but I like the peace of mind I have.

You can just read the fine print and see if it provides the coverage you seek. In my case, my biggest concerns on OS travel are pre-trip cancellation, medical insurance for non pre-exisiting conditions and hotel room theft. Notwithstanding all the 'we don't cover you if you do stupid/illegal things' clauses, my credit card provides adequate coverage for what I reasonably need.

Credit card companies offer this coverage because they do usually get paid for the coverage, through credit card surcharges and people racking up very high credit card balances through paying for said overseas travel that they struggle to pay off upon return and therefore 'paying' for the insurance through interest payments. For those of us that pay off our credit card balance each month, no matter what the balance, this latter cost is irrelevant.

By all means get extra cover if you think you need it, but just remember than insurance is sold to cover risks (likelihood and consequence) and fear is an insurance company's greatest sales assistant.

Is that the round Australia cruise that stops in Bali for a day? If so, be very careful. Also think about when the ship is in international waters rather than just Australian waters. It might make a big difference to what is covered or not. Have a great holiday :)

If you are eligible for this insurance then this insurance is also available to your spouse and your dependent child/children (but not children born on the journey), who travel with you for the entire journey, provided their overseas travel tickets were also obtained by use of an eligible card.

The Y-man

Yikes! Best not go on cruises whilst 8 and 3/4 mths pregnant then :D:D

We regularly pay using our cc and get TI covered. Cheaper and adequate coverage. Happy cruising!

Just a query on the above, is the CC Insurance automatic if paying for the trip by CC, or you have to advise them prior, as it reads like the former applies

What!! Alcohol voids the covee

Thats so ridiculous. It makes car salesman look like dalai lama

Do they have cover for food poisoning conditions?
"You must not be eating within that country of travel or you will not be covered" clause

The CC Policies are typically quite comprehensive. I've reviewed a couple against well know stand alone insurance cover and there has been little meaningful difference. And they certainly payout.

"You must not be eating within that country of travel or you will not be covered" clause

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Imagine the premiums if they had to cover for accidents and injuries of drunk tourists.

On one visit to the USA I took a light plane flight over the Grand Canyon knowing that the policy only covered air transport on scheduled flights, so presumably had it crashed I'd have ended up dead or bankrupt.

I've got to get a new policy shortly, and following a heart attack last August am expecting to pay more and have anything heart-related excluded as a pre-existing condition. Will be happy to be wrong.

The Y-man

Cheeky buggers, cant believe they wont cover children born on the journey :p

Has anyone tested out the complimentary travel insurance offered by CBA Amex card? Ever had a claim and was it successful?

Back