Travel Money Card

HI All
Off to Hong Kong next week thinking of using a travel money card, however, am concerned never used this product before. Was just going to get the bank to convert Aussie dollars to HK. I am told travel money cards can be used at any ATM machine, but what if it does not work when I get there??

Anyone had any issues with these cards.

Cheers
MTR:)

My wife used a CBA Travel Money card in Paris and Italy 2 years apart, and never had problems.

I am going to Singapore and Taiwan tmrw for 2 weeks. I will be using Travel Card when in Singapore, but cash in TW as the CBA don't have the TW currency.

The travel card is just like your credit card, and should work with most ATM if not all... People seem to have more faith on the credit card than travel card because it is what they accustomed to in the past. Of course I will carry credit cards as a backup, but primarily try to use the travel card.

Hey... I plan to shop till I drop but if I don't have the cash I may as well slit my wrist:p

MTR: card doesn't work... I have no money... can't shop.... Life is nothing but a series of endless disappointments! I can't go on like this!

*jumps out of ten story window*

Mr MTR walks in: Honey, I finally figured out how to use the card... Honey?

MTR, I used a travel money card in France and Italy this year. It was very easy to use and safe. It works like a debit credit card. You can load it with AUD or other currencies.

If you do happen to run low on funds just make sure you load it a few hours before you hit the shops, because it can take that time to turn up in your card.

There are some countries where it's not widely accepted (such as Japan). I think HK would be okay. You can always check with your bank.

Thanks, appreciate this.

I have to be brave and give it a go, will be sorting out with CBA on Monday.

Cheers

HI All
Off to Hong Kong next week thinking of using a travel money card, however, am concerned never used this product before. Was just going to get the bank to convert Aussie dollars to HK. I am told travel money cards can be used at any ATM machine, but what if it does not work when I get there??

Anyone had any issues with these cards.

Cheers

i would think unless you are going to be making big purchases - just carry cash - HK is relatively safe and shouldn't be an issue. You need some small change to grab a bowl of wantan noodles. Well unless you want mcdonalds.

I wouldn't bother. Take a decent sum of hkd out of atm at airport and then exchange your aud at the local money changers there. Banks here are a ripoff and I don't see the point of travel cards

Thanks, appreciate this.

I have to be brave and give it a go, will be sorting out with CBA on Monday.

Cheers

I was nervous too, but everywhere I went it was accepted. I didn't carry much cash at all.

I also lost my travel money card two hours before my departing flight. The CBA staff were great. They made another one for me in five minutes and reloaded it. To reload you just transfer your money on netbank.

Hi MTR

We recently used an Ozforex Travel card in Hong Kong and Paris without any problems. You receive 2 cards one is for backup use, there is a $15 initial load fee but no other charges after that and is valid for 3 years. You can load up to 8 currencies onto the card. Drawing out at an Atm in Hong Kong or paying by the card is easy. There is an atm fee of 15HK$ about $2au we had no problems with ours at all. Unlike some that you can buy over the counter the Ozforex one is like a proper debit visa card so you may be too late to get this type now. I would advise which ever one you get just use it for an eptos transaction before you go so that you can ensure the card is working correctly. Most cards can also be locked by yourself when not using to make them even safer.

Enjoy Hong Kong it is a lovely place very clean easy to use the underground rail. Try and do the cable cars if you have time and also the peak.

Enjoy we loved it had 7 nights before going home to the UK and doing Paris and another 5 nights on the way back. Still loads to do. Oh and make sure you do the market area's too

Card used in Japan was not readily accepted so having a bit more cash as a backup in whatever country you are in,just in case the area you are in is not compatible.

I wouldn't bother. Take a decent sum of hkd out of atm at airport and then exchange your aud at the local money changers there. Banks here are a ripoff and I don't see the point of travel cards

Do you use a card in Australia or just carry Cash all the time? The point of the travel money card is precisely the same as the point of An eftpos card here. There is the additional benefit of locking in an exchange rate if that's what you want to do, and also loading multiple currencies.

A very sensible and cost effective addition for travel IMHO.

MTR, mine worked fine in HK a few months ago. Never failed once in many countries for me.

I use the Qantas Cash card now. It means I can watch the currency and buy it at the best rate. I have used it in USA, UK, Italy, Dubai, etc without any problems.

It also means I get FF points on everything I buy!!

I just use it to buy whatever I want without having to get cash

Chris

Do you use a card in Australia or just carry Cash all the time? The point of the travel money card is precisely the same as the point of An eftpos card here. There is the additional benefit of locking in an exchange rate if that's what you want to do, and also loading multiple currencies.

A very sensible and cost effective addition for travel IMHO.

MTR, mine worked fine in HK a few months ago. Never failed once in many countries for me.

I use a combo of cash and my amex when travelling, especially in Asia as amex is widely accepted.

My issue with this travel card is you're likely paying aussie retail forex rates which have ludicrous margins, on say 10k you're throwing $500 in the bin.

Much better rates in hk, even at the airport, than what the Australian banks give you. If just a short trip I'd would take cash and exchange it there. Also the 28 degrees MasterCard is very good. Decent exchange rate, no international transaction or yearly fee.

Much better rates in hk, even at the airport, than what the Australian banks give you. If just a short trip I'd would take cash and exchange it there. Also the 28 degrees MasterCard is very good. Decent exchange rate, no international transaction or yearly fee.

Unfortunately I believe the 28 degrees card is no longer fee free but I could be wrong

We just returned from Europe last week where we travelled through 12 countries over 5 weeks & nwe had an Australian Post travel card and it worked really well. Only thing isneed to keep an eye on your total as If u want to reload make sure you do it b4 2pm on a Fri as it takes 3 days to go through, but we both had credit cards as backup so there was no stress.

Maybe I'm old school but I've never rocked up to another country with their currency. All Asian airports have ATMs in the arrival area and your Australian key card should work fine.

Cheers

Jamie

Back