Tree removal 2m from house Blacktown council

Hi Everyone

I've bought an IP in Blacktown and it has a large tree approx 2m from the house.
I thought any tree closer than 3m to a property can be removed without the need for council approval but I am now getting conflicting information.

I went to the BCC website and from what I can see I will have to apply for permission to remove it.

Has anyone dealt with Blacktown council on tree removals and how much should I be expected to pay to have it removed?

Many thanks in advance

It's much easier to call the Blacktown council and find out... I've been looking for IP in Blacktown for a while and I find the local council very prompt and helpful on the phone...

It's much easier to call the Blacktown council and find out... I've been looking for IP in Blacktown for a while and I find the local council very prompt and helpful on the phone...

Thanks

I will do that but I was trying to get a feel of the procedure from people who had similar experience

I am thinking I will call one of the companies who cut trees, they should know

you didnt hear it from me but if its a MASSIVE tree that attracts the attention of everyone on the street, talk to council....otherwise just pay some guy who'll do it quickly and quietly. I know quite a few tree loppers who arent overly straight and narrow.

Tell 'em about the Victoria fires. All this tree "stuff" so, so close to buildings is a REAL fire hazard. It's a crock , and 200 people have died in VIC partially as a result of such totally, utterly stupid tree "preservation" policies.

...and the horrible truth is you probably have to wait for a similar human disaster in the Blacktown area for there to be any change. Councils are "out of control" on these issues. The greenies have a lot to answer for.
LL

LL

Thats so true, I am actually concerned for the safety of my tenants.

When safety is the issue it shouldn't be difficult getting approval from council
but first I am going to get an opinion from tree loppers so that i know my rights.

cheers

Last edited:
I am actually concerned for the safety of my tenants.

Not just your tenants ziggy ,...try the whole township. When the fire takes hold, there is no going back ....except to the burnt out ruins and the corpses. I can only hope we learn and change but I hold little hope ... Ash Wednesday didn't make us change .... the "trees" and the greenies won ...and just cost us more lives when Black Saturday arrived.

LL

We are having two quotes for removing a tree on one of our IPs.
The tree to me, looks about 15-20m high. It is not too close to our IP but has a history of dropping large branches on the roof of the neighbor's garage.

The managing agent had helped us to apply for a removal. She has all the invoices for removing the branches from the neighbor's garage etc...

Holroyd Council, to my suprise had approved it's removal quite quickly.

One quote was $3500 and one was $2500, without grinding.
A neighbor of another IP did not like a tree of similar size in our IP and I think she had spent about $2000 to have it removed so the figures seem to be right for trees about that size. Your tree is only 3-4m so I guess it would cost much less.

FYI, about 5 years ago, I had to fight very hard with Parramatta Council over getting a permission for removing a large Palm tree which was only about 2m from the house. In the end, it did approve, not for removal but only relocating the tree based on the health hazard reasons. There were a lot of birds nesting on the tree. Large ones, small ones, dead ones and eggs dropping etc...
We advertised and had the palm "sold". A company just took it, filled up the hole and probably sold the tree to a park somewhere.

The tree to me, looks about 15-20m high. It is not too close to our IP but has a history of dropping large branches on the roof of the neighbor's garage.

The managing agent had helped us to apply for a removal. She has all the invoices for removing the branches from the neighbor's garage etc...

Didn't think you were responsible for the branches that drop from the tree! Why do you have invoices for cleaning the mess from your neighbors property, unless it was to clear out the branches from where the neighbor deposited them on your property.;)

Cheers

I recently had a huge gum removed from a house in Blacktown Council. It was dead and hard to remove due to the location. It had power lines next to it and regularly droped branches onto the neighbours roof. Being dead, I thought it should be a priority to remove it before it caused some damage to either property or life, so I was naughty and did not go through Council, just got a guy in to remove it. I also got him to get rid of one from a house in Penrith Council.

The first quote I got was for over $4k. Like I said, huge tree, in difficult position. The second quote was for half that if I gave approval for the job to be done the following day. So, that is what I did. Quote also included grinding of the stump. I am very pleased with the result.

Didn't think you were responsible for the branches that drop from the tree! Why do you have invoices for cleaning the mess from your neighbors property, unless it was to clear out the branches from where the neighbor deposited them on your property.;)

Cheers

Hi Handyandy,
From what the managing agents had told me, the branches were large and did cause some minor damages on the roof of the neighbor's garage. However the neighbor did not request for any repair but only removing the branches. I agreed to pay as I thought that was reasonable.

Hi Handyandy,
From what the managing agents had told me, the branches were large and did cause some minor damages on the roof of the neighbor's garage. However the neighbor did not request for any repair but only removing the branches. I agreed to pay as I thought that was reasonable.

Hey Synthman, can you give any advice on how best to handle a fight with Parra City Council regarding removal of a tree? This is a serious safety hazard tree 2 mtrs from my parents house in their front yard, Council keeps rejecting the request to remove. we are scared about this tree. Any advise could you pm me please?

Thank you...

Hi Everyone

I've bought an IP in Blacktown and it has a large tree approx 2m from the house.
I thought any tree closer than 3m to a property can be removed without the need for council approval but I am now getting conflicting information.

I went to the BCC website and from what I can see I will have to apply for permission to remove it.

Has anyone dealt with Blacktown council on tree removals and how much should I be expected to pay to have it removed?

Many thanks in advance

Why did you make the purchase without being informed prior?

we had 5 large gums removed 12 months ago - cost $3000 including grinding, but they weren't in an overly difficult position.

what's this fear everyone has about ringing council? you don't have to tell them who you are or where the problem is ... you just have to ring up and ask a generic question about how far from the house the tree has to be. you don't need to say what tree or where or who.

i've always found councils to be most helpful and not prying.

Back