Tree Removal

G'day all,

The past storms and wet weather in Brisbane have caused a Jacaranda in one of the backyards to slope over toward the ground. It seems it may have to be removed.

Could anyone provide me any information as to whether I need to get council approval to remove the tree?

Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to remove a 15m high Jacaranda?

Regards,

Roachy

unless the tree is considered a noxtious (sp) weed you will need council permission.

i don't know about your area but we had 6 gums removed 12 months ago. council cost less than $100, tree removal cost around $600/tree

I would have thought a tree would only need to have council permission if its classed as a 'significant' tree (definitions and terminology may be different from state to state) or if you have a vegetation overlay which prevents you from doing certain things eg like chopping down the existing trees or removing certain existing vegetation.

Most local council websites have info on this.

I am with buzzlightyear, if it is not under a significant tree classification and you are not in a heritage listed area hook in and have it removed.

I had a tree removed about 3 months ago about the same height was about $ 900 which included getting the stump removed.

Cheers,

Fourex.

if in doubt, ring the council and ask. you don't have to give you name or address.

better to check and be safe, then hit for a huge fine. each council is different. in ours, every tree has to go thru council for removal - except - if it is on the weed list (which council will provide) or within 3 metres of a dwelling (gge doesn't qualify as dwelling) - and even then you will only get approval to remove if a qualified arborist deems the tree to be mortally damaged, sick (severe borer etc) or a danger.

don't underestimate the council - they are now using google earth to check that trees are still where they should be and not illegally removed.

We had a tree removed yesterday. About 15-20m high and a good 80-100cm diameter at the base, give or take. I did just want it lopped a bit ...

Tree bloke turned up, declared it to be 'a bit too crap', said we should cut it down and grind out the stump. $280 for the lot and for grinding 3 other small stumps and taking off an overhanging branch from the yard behind while he was there.

I'm sure our neighbours will make short work of the MASSIVE pile of firewood we now have sitting in our backyard.

Not hard to spot the older tradies with paid-off houses and utes by the amount they charge :D

Just the local tree guy (there's only one), "OurTown Tree and Stump Removal", who is surprisingly hard to find. Not in the yellow pages, no website or listings in online directories, no ad in the local paper. He has his business card stuck to every community noticeboard in town though and took a few tries to raise him on his phone too ... gah.

Tree blokes do need a height license though and a lot of local handymen will claim to 'remove' trees but don't have a cherry picker or a stump grinder. Or one of those way cool machines where you stick half a tree in one end and mulch comes out the other :)

the cost to remove will be highly dependent on the location of the tree. if it's easy access, it'll be cheap. if it's really hard to get to, or overhangs things that could be damaged, it'll be expensive.

Back