tribunal

Hi, 08-09 have been up and down years for me. I've been getting some crappy tenants and management that was fixed guarantee had uncoupled and restructured.

I've 'enjoyed' a new experience of 'sitting in the dock'.

A tenant objected to my claim for the bond and I became the 'defendant'.

Said tenant didn't have a leg to stand on and after months of hassle and cost [to her] decided to back down. Legally I could have gone after her for unpaid rent holding her to the lease but I didn't as she didn't use the premises.

On the same Wed, my manager attended the other tribunal. Crap tenant [guaranteed by Centerlink] didn't pay rent & I was on the ball quickly this time.

Result : court ordered payment of all rent including the week that we gave up as free [for the tenant to get utilities connected]

So this time, I'll be out of pocket by only 1 or 2 weeks, depending how soon we get the next tenant.

The joys of being a landlord.

KY

Cheer up. This happens all the time. If you can get it into your mind that it is an inevitability, you won't feel as hurt and let down when it does happen. I hope the next ones do the right thing by you.

Hey Kum,

Enjoy the journey. Write down your learnings and go through them regularly so that you don't repeat it again.:).

Hope your reno is going fine.

Cheers

Thanks. Centrelink is not bad. They were guarantor & Yesterday I received 2 cheques in the mail. This is ONE day after the hearing. As good as it gets!

Making a judgement on the character of the tenant is the most impt. For commercial tenants, we make sure that there's 'collateral' such as a house or a guarantor who has a cast iron job.

Brijesh, I still haven't found someone to paint the high bits but I've started repairing the broken cement & splashed some paint on the brickwork to see the effects of the colour. What tradesmen quote for 4 thousand will cost me 400 in materials.

Have a good week, everyone.
KY

Back