Tropical island wedding

We're thinking of tying the knot on an island (probably in the pacific ) :cool:
Probably looking for a simple service on a beach. Just the two of us.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone done similar? Any advice, locations etc?

Hi Dylan

I can highly recommend the Cook Islands.

Rarotonga is wonderful (the main island) and Auitataki which is an hour north is amazing for a honeymoon.

My wife and I got married in Raro - we had 35 people fly over and join us. It's 5 hours direct from Sydney with Air NZ or Virgin Blue.

My wife organised all the wedding stuff online from home - including the celebrant, reception, fire dancers (they were pretty cool), car, flowers, etc.

Everyone stayed for a week in private rentals - it was a blast.

Feel free to give me a buzz if you want to have a chat - we were in the exact same predicament in terms of choosing a destination and were so happy we settled on the Cooks.

Cheers

Jamie

Was looking at the Cooks actually. Just want a small ceremony on a beach. Just the two of us. Will have a dig around the net.

Friends of mine did it, just the two of them at Hamilton Island ... they just phoned and it was all organised!!!

The parents, both sides, never forgave them :)

Chris

haha - a friend said years ago she was getting married in a registry office in London. I asked if they had family over there and her reply was "No - that's why we're going"

I'd second Raro

Friends of mine did it, just the two of them at Hamilton Island ... they just phoned and it was all organised!!!

The parents, both sides, never forgave them :)

Chris
My Brother and his wife did a runner to Fiji for their wedding (to escape the family interference).

The families got over it.

Me? I didn't care - as long as they were happy; and are.

Hi Dylan

I can highly recommend the Cook Islands.

Rarotonga is wonderful (the main island) and Auitataki which is an hour north is amazing for a honeymoon.

My wife and I got married in Raro - we had 35 people fly over and join us. It's 5 hours direct from Sydney with Air NZ or Virgin Blue.

My wife organised all the wedding stuff online from home - including the celebrant, reception, fire dancers (they were pretty cool), car, flowers, etc.

Everyone stayed for a week in private rentals - it was a blast.

Feel free to give me a buzz if you want to have a chat - we were in the exact same predicament in terms of choosing a destination and were so happy we settled on the Cooks.

Cheers

Jamie

I've been having a look at some wedding arranging sites. Not sure if it's a bit of overcharging with some of them. They list what you get and the price and it seems you pay $1500 for a ceremony with a couple of garlands a buttonhole and a bottle of something? Is it possible to just fly over and arrange a small ceremony on a beach with a celebrant when you get there?
Also what's the story with licences etc? Do we have to sort anything out here before we go?

I've been having a look at some wedding arranging sites. Not sure if it's a bit of overcharging with some of them. They list what you get and the price and it seems you pay $1500 for a ceremony with a couple of garlands a buttonhole and a bottle of something? Is it possible to just fly over and arrange a small ceremony on a beach with a celebrant when you get there?
Also what's the story with licences etc? Do we have to sort anything out here before we go?

I'm guessing that would include some type of permit for exclusive use of the beach area for your ceremony. If it's just the two of you, you should just fly to Vegas and do it there. I don't think there'd be any booking or planning needed :p

You just do it all yourself.

You'll need a celebrant- ill PM you the one we used. He was great.

You pop into the govt office in Avarua to arrange the wedding licence - also easy peasy. I think you just need to do it a day or so beforehand.

Rentraro has some good private house rentals - better than staying in a resort I think.

Cheers

Jamie

I will be strongly recommending to my daughters that, should they choose to get married, they should do the same. I'll pay for the wedding and give them a nice cash bonus- we'll both be much better off. A win win.

I was married in my wife's country, with very little notice. There was a big contingent from her side, none at all from my side.

My parents waited until we came back to Australia after a few years away to give us a wedding present. That meant they were actually able to give something of use.

Same here Geoff...I married in Australia then my family returned to the UK. I had my immediate family and the whole of my husband's family including hangers on :) I really didn't know too many people at my wedding.

However, now these many years later it is lovely to look back of the photos of my whole family together at my wedding, so many are now missing, including Alan and his entire close family, all gone, plus my Dad. I also have the video, its actually really nice to have in my dotage :)

Chris

We got married in our bush setting backyard with a bbq afterwards and byo booze - was the best wedding I've ever been to.

Only had around 20 people in total. Very immediate family (parents, siblings and their partners/kids) and very close friends and their partners/kids

Back