Trouble with wireless net connection... Help please.

I haven't been able to use my wireless connection for ages now.

The puter finds three networks in range and when I click on mine and I then click on "connect". When I do so the wireless network connection box displays the network key as seven stars and I click "connect" again. It then tries to connect for a couple of minutes and fails.

If I click on set up a wireless network for a home or small office I get the setup wizard and I can print out new keys but they don't work either.

This system used to work once. :( so is there something simple I'm doing wrong?

ps I'm using a d-link router

You won't believe this; but this exact same thing happened this morning to me.

Here I am, looking forward to posting more guff as usual on the forum, and zippo!

Withdrawal syptoms were bad. I needed even more coffee.

It happened a coupla months ago as well; it required a new router. How old is yours? I rang up the company, and they said the life of the router was around 18 months (it was almost exactly that long too).

But back to this morning; I simply turned off the router for 3 minutes and turned it back on again and it worked. Try that.

Hi
try blowing the config away on the router by holding the reset button for 2 seconds and then configuring WPA encryption with a passphrase of your choice. I have run in to problems with those modems when they should work and there is no reason why they dont but refuse to and only a rebuild will fix it. If you are not confidant with this piece of work try simply powering it down for an hour or two.
cheers
pieman

Welcome: I get a "failed to connect to wireless" whenever I power up.

Pieman: The modem works when wired in. My son, who knows much more than I, has reset the modem as you suggest a couple of times and I did it in frustration once.

The puter "hears" three modems so the receiver bit clearly works but if the modems don't need to be probed (I don't know about this) my transmitter or modem hardware may be faulty.

Just putting out ideas. :)

so its a wireless router or is it a seperate router and wirless point. If you connect to one of the ports via a cable, do you get an internet connection. If so your router componenet is ok. Can you connect after reset to the modem via 192.168.1.1 with the default user/password, ,i think admin admin? if so then the wirless connection is good. Can you connect with no authentication, that is WPA, WEP, WPA2 etc if so your wirless component is good.
Can you look on the FAQ's at netcomm? they may have some further info, as this is a common problem.
cheers
pieman

Yes, it is a wireless router and both my Mac and Winbox work via it when cabled in, (I'm using it now) but the cable annoys me and I would like to take the laptop into the bedroom so I can monitor prices at at my leisure.

Addicted? Moi?

The standard modem Optus supplied isn't wireless and because my dLink is not on their approved list the little chappie in Bombay can't help me.

Thinking of changing to a small local, even if it does cost more. :)

I think those 7 stars are not the actual password. Next time it prompts, try deleting them and retyping the wireless password. The most obvious cause of the symptoms you described is an incorrect password ("WEP" or "WPA" key).

if you have reset your configuration (not just power cycled the router) all your wireless settings should've reset themselves so now most probably you don't have any security at all and you need to reconfigure both your router and wireless connection on a computer

I let windows manage mine not the Intel Proset Wireless it seems to work for me that way
Think ages ago when I rang up Dell they said to delete all of the connections and start again

Or try typing the question into google or yahoo and the net forums will give you step by step instructions on how to clear it.
(i.e. How do I connect my wireless connection to my computer or something in that vein)

The standard modem Optus supplied isn't wireless and because my dLink is not on their approved list the little chappie in Bombay can't help me.

I wonder if it's the same guy I always get when I make an official type phone call back to Aus?

I got his sister last week too.

Yes, it is a wireless router and both my Mac and Winbox work via it when cabled in,

Are u running leopard?

My mac couldn't see my pc's after I upgraded to leopard. Had to change WINS in Airport to reflect the Workgroup -> System Preferences, Network, Select Airport, Click Advanced, Click WINS - Choose the appropriate workgroup. Cross both fingers, Bite tounge and Hit OK.

Aaron

What OS (Vista/XP?) are you running on the computer that can't connect? What wireless security is currently enabled on the router? Does your laptop show the connection has security.

I had a similar problem not so long ago and it was because I was using Vista and it was trying to use the wrong WPA Algorithm to connect, it should have been using TKIP, but it was set to the 2nd type...I think you will find it's something to do with the security (wireless) settings.

Personally I would:

- Hard reboot using the reset button that requires a pen or similar (http://techgage.com/reviews/dlink/655_router/dlink_655_router_11_thumb.jpg)
- Re-enter all required details
- Setup wireless with WPA/TKIP settings and make your own passphrase
- Connect laptop and use new passphrase to connect, make sure laptop settings are to connect to a WPA connection with TKIP

if its working one day and not working the next, and you've tried resets etc, then i think there's a reasonable chance its a hardware failure in your wireless router.

if you're going to replace it, my current fav brand is billion which has been bulletproof so far .. although i'm sure after typing this it will promptly die on me.

i've decided to steer clear of netgear, linksys and dlink which have all been terribly unreliable for me in the past compared to the billion.

Back